Breaking the Rules - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breaking the Rules Reviews

May 10, 2014
This one my top 5 movies of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ March 31, 2013
Good movie... has everything from laughter to tears.
November 12, 2012
This is not a "guy movie" or a "buddy movie". This film is a celebration of life, and how we try and complicate it, rather than enjoy it. The final scene is nothing that hasn't been done before, but is executed in a manner that is so true to the character, and his desire to see his friends happy, that it is one of the most spiritually inspiring moments I've ever experienced in film.
½ June 4, 2010
A favourite of mine from the 90's. Jason Bateman plays a dying man who's last wish is for his 2 best friends (played by C. Thomas Howell and Jonathan Silverman) to reconcile their differences before he passes away, so they drop everything and head out on a cross country road trip to the west coast with some comic adventures.
½ January 31, 2007
More crappy movies I've seen. One day I might get every movie I've seen rated. Okay probably not. Here are some bad ones......with not much to say.

[b]Breaking the Rules - 1/10

[/b]Director - Neal Israel

Starring - C. Thomas Howell, Jason Bateman, Jonathan Silverman, Annie Potts.

[b]Backtrack - 3.5/10

[/b]Director - Dennis Hopper

Starring - Dennis Hopper, Jodie Foster, Dean Stockwell, Vincent Price, John Turturro, Joe Pesci, Charlie Sheen.

[b]Black Sheep - 1.5/10

[/b]Director - Penelope Spheeris

Starring - David Spade, Chris Farley, Tim Matheson.

[b]Bye Bye Love - 4/10

[/b]Director - Sam Weisman

Starring - Paul Resier, Matthew Modine, Randy Quaid, Janeane Garofalo.

[b]Casper - 3/10

[/b]Director - Brad Silberling

Starring - Christina Ricci, Bill Pullman, Cathy Moriarty, Eric Idle.
December 9, 2006
Starring: C. Thomas Howell, Jason Bateman, Jonathan Silverman, and Annie Potts.
Directed by Neal Israel.
Written by Paul W. Shapiro.
Rated [b]PG-13[/b] (for mature thematic material, sexual content and language).
Running time approximately 1 hour 40 minutes.

Aside from the dreadful [i]Last Rites[/i] from 1988 and, of course, [i]Caligula[/i] (1980), I don't think I've seen too many dramas that actually manage to embarass themselves on such a level as [i]Breaking the Rules[/i] does. This is an offensive, ungainly, empty and inept motion picture. Its attempts at manipulation are laughably awful, and in the end we're left scratching our heads, just wondering what the hell could've gone wrong. This is the worst buddy movie ever made, Roger Ebert was right. I hated this movie. See it. You will hate it, too. [b]Zero Stars (out of ****) F[/b]