Breaking the Surface: The Greg Louganis Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breaking the Surface: The Greg Louganis Story Reviews

November 29, 2013
This made-for-television biopic about celebrated American diver Greg Louganis (1960-present) is a well-meaning introduction to an inspirational figure, who overcame intense bullying and discrimination throughout his youth to become a record-breaking Olympic champion. Based on the athlete's engaging, bestselling biography (co-written by Eric Marcus and published in 1996), this adaptation is restricted by its budget and time of production; real-life footage isn't very seamlessly integrated with the rest of the film and our gay protagonist is never seen kissing another man. Louganis is portrayed by Patrick David and Mario Lopez for a bulk of the piece, and both deliver effective performances in a very worthwhile, if not too in-depth, movie.
February 20, 2013
The most amazing story just watched this for those who have been in the situation we have alot to thank Thank you Lord. Hermann Jacques Keyser Limpopo Province South Africa.
July 17, 2009
Great story (probably cause its true lol). I liked the book better, the movie cut a few parts out which I believed were fairly important - which is the reason it doesn't get 5 stars :)
May 18, 2009
The acting is not up to par but the story is inspiring.
September 28, 2008
I can distictly remeber watching the Olympics when Greg Louganis hit his head on the diving board, and I remember how shocked we all were. Add in the fact that he's gay and I was curious about his story. Plus, I was a diver myself.

I'm not sure if Breaking the Surface is a Lifetime Movie or not. I'm gonna say no, but it has that same feel. And Mario Lopez clearly got the part for his looks, so be prepared to annoying by his "acting".

But if you want to see this, you won;t care about any of those shortcomings. This is for fans of Greg Louganis.
September 27, 2008
great composition of mario lopez