Breathless - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breathless Reviews

January 10, 2016
Jean-Luc Godard's highly innovative debut film was groundbreaking for its age, and while it may not feel as novel today, it's certainly just as enjoyable as ever. Inspired by American crime dramas, but told through an unconventional narrative propelled by an adventurous editing style, Breathless is certainly weird, but it's plot is fully contiguous. The dialogue in the film still sparkles to this day, which references both pop-culture and high art, and the film sublimely blurs the divide between American and French culture like virtually no other existing film. The French New Wave didn't start here, but Godard certainly made the style a whole lot cooler!
½ December 20, 2015
If you ever learned where Spike Lee learned to make, rather not make, movies, it must have been from Jean Luc Goddard horrible pieces of junk. Mr. Goddard gives hope to amateur, and those aspiring to amateur - like Mr. Lee, film makers everywhere. He makes the worst home movies look like masterpieces. Besides choosing some of the worst actors ever to pollute the movie screen, like Mr. Belmondo and Ms. Seberg, Mr Goddard combines them with a pointless, mess of a story glorifying criminal activities at the expense of the rest of society, incredibly unartful cinematography, along with thumbing his nose at the paying audience's faces'. Considering some of the other propagandist garbage produced in Hollywood, it's no wonder Hollywood frequently looks back to Mr. Goddard's horrendous work. Mr Goddard's work reinstills in me the belief that a campaign to recycle many of these movies into something useful, like plastic shopping bags, s much needed.
December 13, 2015
Breathless was an interesting movie. It was light, casual and improvisational, sort of like a hipster French movie. The pace slowed at points, but the characters are intriguing and the plot is interesting enough.
½ December 7, 2015
What can you say about 'A bout de souffle' (Breathless) that hasn't already been said? Criticizing this film is like criticizing Picasso's Ladies of Avignon...even if you have a point, you'll instantly expose yourself as a dilettante.

But what I really, /really/ like about this film is how prescient Godard was with what his audience wanted to see. Not knowing anything about what was going to happen, it is as if he could predict what you wanted to see before he actually showed it to you. You see a quirky young woman selling papers, and you wish you could see her make love...and she does! The constant refrain makes watching this film somewhat hypnotic. You see it all, but you see it all in about as easy a fashion as can be expected.
December 6, 2015
Breathless has the proportions wrong. Too much rambling, too little point.
November 4, 2015
Breathless is a French new wave film that is interesting in the way portrays its characters and their daily struggles, but the film suffers from its "unique" style of editing.
½ October 26, 2015
I love French cinema, I love France, I really love The French. I did watch with an open mind. But this is just a piece of tripe. The dialogue was childish, the acting high school, and the directing was student YouTube quality. But, one has to wait for the absolutely hysterically funny death scene ending. It was so poorly actied and directed, I was bellied over sideways laughing so hard. Please, you have to watch this movie just to kill the myth that this is a classic. The more people who see it, the more the myth will disappear.
October 16, 2015
One of those movies that you need to see at least once. Godard is one of the fathers of modern cinema, and Breathless is one of the biggest catalysts that influenced it's formation. Whether or not you find this movie interesting is beside the point. It's commendable simply due to how it challenges every convention in film up to that point. Jump cuts abound, and 4th walls come tumbling down. Whenever you see a movie become self-aware of itself, you can thank Godard, and Breathless. For me, it's self-awareness is what makes it so enjoyable, and cool for me. The couple in this movie are like the first instances of "hipsters". Everything about this movie is sexy, and awesome. Now, I need to fully catch up on my Godard.
October 14, 2015
Nouvelle Vague enfant terrible Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless is a timeless classic filled with some extraordinary moment of cinema. Famous for it's extensive use of the jump cut, the film hasn't lost none of it's freshness. Belmondo & Seberg are a wonderful young screen couple . Definitely a film worth watching if you are a film buff or enjoy New Wave cinema.
October 9, 2015
Absolutely amazing!!
September 22, 2015
Simple, yet compellingly French.
½ September 16, 2015
Why is this avant-garde "masterpiece" so embraced by everyone? Why is it considered to be a milestone of cinema since it is a mere experiment that takes itself really seriously and achieves only to bore? For this is a static, tiring film that perceives action sequences (I mean scenes where people do things) as fillers. The dialogues are so pompous that you don't have the mental strength to analyze them in order to find a piece of truth. I watched this hoping it'd give me something. It didn't.
½ August 2, 2015
Unique for the time, This film brought up different director styles as well as some great dialogue and acting. Its pretty influential and is far too ahead of its time.
June 3, 2015
More like lifeless. I really hate this style of film. Reminded me of another terrible french movie-Last Tango in Paris yuck! I couldn't even tell at first if he had really shot a cop or what. Only cool parts was shots of Paris and her hair. Pretty aimless movie with nonsense dialogue and lead characters. Boring, mostly them just talking in circles going from place to place with not much going on. They both seemed fool of themselves, immature, and pretty emotionless. The whole thing was a waste of time and I really couldn't give a crap about ending. Such a silly film trying to hard to be avant-garde and cool. I guess I would've had to be around during the time to understand it's uniqueness, but today its just dated bad.
½ May 30, 2015
Perhaps the most famous movie of La Nouvelle Vague, this iconic movie is still feels rebellious over 50 years later. Godard's Breathless stands alone for a number of reasons, but my personal favorite aspect of this masterful low budget movie is the fact that it often feels like it requires us to move to a sort of rhythm that is uniquely it's own -- and hopelessly cool.
½ May 23, 2015
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous.
April 10, 2015
Breathless is a undisputed classic from french new wave moment which really revolutionized modern cinema. Jean-Paul Belmondo was fabulous but the most amazing thing about this classic are it's memorable dialogues, jump cuts and excellent characterization of both leading actors.
March 18, 2015
A landmark in cinema history, due mostly to revolutionary editing techniques, pop culture references, and a biting undercurrent of intellectualism.
March 6, 2015
Feels like a modern movie.
February 23, 2015
So stunningly beautiful and precisely filmed that it is almost hard to focus on the deft screenplay and radiating beauty of Jean Seberg in this classic poignant French masterpiece.