Breathless - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breathless Reviews

March 10, 2016
a perfect example of what has now become 'the french new wave' film movement
February 25, 2016
Did I miss something about this "masterpiece"? I found this movie very messy and very nonsensical.
February 23, 2016
It's a chaotic and relatively fun film, although the characters and not particularly edifying and the dialogue loses its way with boring scenes. It's a pretty narcissistic world, selling itself as cool and stylish. And so despite itself, it's a tragedy.
February 10, 2016
You jive with the jazzy style. It's smoking cool. You profess to the extremely romantic qualities of the French. And you leave it to Jean Luc-Goddard's imaginative crime thriller to break all the rules of the Hollywood norm. To captivate, and to shock, and to frustrate many, as it must have done, and done so well... What defines a movie? What defines an art form? And if there ARE any pre-conceived notion of what it means to make art in proper fashion- how the fuck can we shake things up??

In Breathless, a petty criminal and bold lover, Michel, is chased and hunted by the Police. As he manages to duck, dodge, and hide under their constant watch, he plots to make his get-way to Italy. His situation gets worsened by the fact that he's just fallen in love with a beautiful young American girl, Patricia, who's determined to be her own woman and find a career in Paris, where the Police are hot on Michel's tail. He'll have to steal her away, and win over her affections, before he's caught on the wrong side of the law.

Bold, daring, and highly creative. Breathless looks as though it could have been made yesterday, now; more than 50 some-odd years after it's initial wide-release. To imagine what it must have been like when it opened in cinemas... It must have been like a UFO sighting in western Kansas... or... It must have been Marty McFly doing Chuck Barry at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance in Back to the Future. Don't you GET IT? Jean Luc-Goddard time traveled audiences to a future of movie making that was as fresh, and new, and exciting as we've ever managed to make it. Now, certainly, it's not the greatest film ever made. There's a time and a place for such a film, and it wasn't in France in the late 1950's. But it DID manage to pave an extremely large highway in which all Directors and auteur's of the art-form could have the freedom to do things the way they wanted. Freedom to break away from the dogma of the Hollywood industry- that had dominated movie making for nearly 30 years. All of that just plain ended with about 90,000 dollars or Euro or whatever and in just four weeks that it took to shoot! The results speak for themselves. And for a History lesson on cinema and a just damn good time, I encourage you to see Jean Luc- Goddard's "Breathless" yourself, and see what you make of it. Ooh La La.
January 17, 2016
Beyond all the cinematic breakthroughs and importance of this film the main thing that struck me while watching was how cool it is. From Jean Paul Belmondo as Michel, in his shades, hat, tie and tweed jacket to Jean Seberg with her short hair cut the film just breathes coolness and it's timeless.
January 10, 2016
Jean-Luc Godard's highly innovative debut film was groundbreaking for its age, and while it may not feel as novel today, it's certainly just as enjoyable as ever. Inspired by American crime dramas, but told through an unconventional narrative propelled by an adventurous editing style, Breathless is certainly weird, but it's plot is fully contiguous. The dialogue in the film still sparkles to this day, which references both pop-culture and high art, and the film sublimely blurs the divide between American and French culture like virtually no other existing film. The French New Wave didn't start here, but Godard certainly made the style a whole lot cooler!
½ December 20, 2015
If you ever learned where Spike Lee learned to make, rather not make, movies, it must have been from Jean Luc Goddard horrible pieces of junk. Mr. Goddard gives hope to amateur, and those aspiring to amateur - like Mr. Lee, film makers everywhere. He makes the worst home movies look like masterpieces. Besides choosing some of the worst actors ever to pollute the movie screen, like Mr. Belmondo and Ms. Seberg, Mr Goddard combines them with a pointless, mess of a story glorifying criminal activities at the expense of the rest of society, incredibly unartful cinematography, along with thumbing his nose at the paying audience's faces'. Considering some of the other propagandist garbage produced in Hollywood, it's no wonder Hollywood frequently looks back to Mr. Goddard's horrendous work. Mr Goddard's work reinstills in me the belief that a campaign to recycle many of these movies into something useful, like plastic shopping bags, s much needed.
December 13, 2015
Breathless was an interesting movie. It was light, casual and improvisational, sort of like a hipster French movie. The pace slowed at points, but the characters are intriguing and the plot is interesting enough.
½ December 7, 2015
What can you say about 'A bout de souffle' (Breathless) that hasn't already been said? Criticizing this film is like criticizing Picasso's Ladies of Avignon...even if you have a point, you'll instantly expose yourself as a dilettante.

But what I really, /really/ like about this film is how prescient Godard was with what his audience wanted to see. Not knowing anything about what was going to happen, it is as if he could predict what you wanted to see before he actually showed it to you. You see a quirky young woman selling papers, and you wish you could see her make love...and she does! The constant refrain makes watching this film somewhat hypnotic. You see it all, but you see it all in about as easy a fashion as can be expected.
December 6, 2015
Breathless has the proportions wrong. Too much rambling, too little point.
November 4, 2015
Breathless is a French new wave film that is interesting in the way portrays its characters and their daily struggles, but the film suffers from its "unique" style of editing.
½ October 26, 2015
I love French cinema, I love France, I really love The French. I did watch with an open mind. But this is just a piece of tripe. The dialogue was childish, the acting high school, and the directing was student YouTube quality. But, one has to wait for the absolutely hysterically funny death scene ending. It was so poorly actied and directed, I was bellied over sideways laughing so hard. Please, you have to watch this movie just to kill the myth that this is a classic. The more people who see it, the more the myth will disappear.
October 16, 2015
One of those movies that you need to see at least once. Godard is one of the fathers of modern cinema, and Breathless is one of the biggest catalysts that influenced it's formation. Whether or not you find this movie interesting is beside the point. It's commendable simply due to how it challenges every convention in film up to that point. Jump cuts abound, and 4th walls come tumbling down. Whenever you see a movie become self-aware of itself, you can thank Godard, and Breathless. For me, it's self-awareness is what makes it so enjoyable, and cool for me. The couple in this movie are like the first instances of "hipsters". Everything about this movie is sexy, and awesome. Now, I need to fully catch up on my Godard.
October 14, 2015
Nouvelle Vague enfant terrible Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless is a timeless classic filled with some extraordinary moment of cinema. Famous for it's extensive use of the jump cut, the film hasn't lost none of it's freshness. Belmondo & Seberg are a wonderful young screen couple . Definitely a film worth watching if you are a film buff or enjoy New Wave cinema.
October 9, 2015
Absolutely amazing!!
September 22, 2015
Simple, yet compellingly French.
½ September 16, 2015
Why is this avant-garde "masterpiece" so embraced by everyone? Why is it considered to be a milestone of cinema since it is a mere experiment that takes itself really seriously and achieves only to bore? For this is a static, tiring film that perceives action sequences (I mean scenes where people do things) as fillers. The dialogues are so pompous that you don't have the mental strength to analyze them in order to find a piece of truth. I watched this hoping it'd give me something. It didn't.
½ August 2, 2015
Unique for the time, This film brought up different director styles as well as some great dialogue and acting. Its pretty influential and is far too ahead of its time.
June 3, 2015
More like lifeless. I really hate this style of film. Reminded me of another terrible french movie-Last Tango in Paris yuck! I couldn't even tell at first if he had really shot a cop or what. Only cool parts was shots of Paris and her hair. Pretty aimless movie with nonsense dialogue and lead characters. Boring, mostly them just talking in circles going from place to place with not much going on. They both seemed fool of themselves, immature, and pretty emotionless. The whole thing was a waste of time and I really couldn't give a crap about ending. Such a silly film trying to hard to be avant-garde and cool. I guess I would've had to be around during the time to understand it's uniqueness, but today its just dated bad.
½ May 30, 2015
Perhaps the most famous movie of La Nouvelle Vague, this iconic movie is still feels rebellious over 50 years later. Godard's Breathless stands alone for a number of reasons, but my personal favorite aspect of this masterful low budget movie is the fact that it often feels like it requires us to move to a sort of rhythm that is uniquely it's own -- and hopelessly cool.