Breezy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breezy Reviews

½ September 1, 2010
The film shows a love affair with the major obstacle of age, but it shows that there is no limit to love. Michel Legrand still composes music endearing. But actors are not taking enough as they have a little soft and dialogues would have preferred more troubling. One of the first film of Clint Eastwood, but the less endearing as the script is weak and repetitive. Every great artist takes time to gain world recognition.
½ April 19, 2010
I'm surprised by this early directorial effort of Clint Eastwood. I watched the film simply for William Holden, not expecting much in terms of quality, and walked away quite satisfied.

In a nutshell, the story is a May-December romance that reminded me of a more recent film, Venus. Kay Lenz plays a bubbly and talkative twenty-year old hippie, who at first really grated my nerves, but as the film progressed she grew on me. Holden was as awesome as ever, playing the the wise-cracking embittered cynic, a type of character he became famous for after Sunset Blvd.

The film had its endearing moments as well as its painfully sappy and awkward ones, but overall it definitely went above my expectations. Highly recommended for fans of Bill Holden.
½ January 7, 2010
Eastwood directs the film with a fine sense of visual style, and some of the performances are quite good, but the triteness of the script overwhelms everything. The ending is especially silly.
½ October 3, 2009
Only William Holden will make this kind of character lovable .....the movie is basically about love, taboos, prejudices...and society's moral boundaries .
September 11, 2009
It's sad that not many people know of this gem and the most surprising is Clint Eastwood directed it and William Holden stared in it. Breezy reminds me of someone I used to know, wish the ending of that was the same with this movie. This is one of the few movies where Clint adds some style to his films. It's a same William Holden died the way he did, if you know his story its not surprising that he chose to do this since it is so close he probably was back then.
½ September 2, 2009
Saw this as a kid & it left a big impression on me for some reason (I think every girl wanted to be Kay Lenz during the 70s lol.) Does any one know what Kay has been up to lately?
½ July 12, 2009
The very talented Kay Lenz is adorable and sweet and William Holden gives a great performance late in his career in this somewhat forgotten early directorial effort from Clint Eastwood. It's almost like a lighter-hearted, gender-reversed response to Harold and Maude, but by no means a copycat film. It's one of the better films I've seen about a May-December romance, though not perfect by any means.

There's a nice Hitchcockian cameo from Eastwood himself in the scene by the lighthouse, and the date to go see High Plains Drifter (which Eastwood also directed in the same year) was a nice, if not unlikely, touch.
½ July 5, 2009
Totally forgotten classic. Beautifully told romantic movie. Holden/Lenz chemistry is great in this unusual lovestory directed by Clint Eastwood. If you see this movie smoewhere watch it as fast as possible.
½ July 4, 2009
I love Clint Eastwood but am sorely disappointed in this film. The disparity in the ages between Breezy and Frank made me uncomfortable and the film only lightly touches on this aspect. Additionally, the middle aged businessman and young hippie girl characters seem to be based only on superficial and stereotypical traits; the character development is too simplistic.
May 30, 2009
Are there really women this hopelessly romantic and irritatingly optimistic running around this world? Looking on the bright side of life is one thing...frying your retinas and getting skin cancer from prolonged exposure is another altogether. Otherwise...not a bad flick.
½ May 8, 2009
A sweet breezy romance between a 20 year old hippie and a 55 year old divorcee directed by Clint Eastwood. Kay Lenz plays the cute, easy-going, drifter with a loving sunshiny attitude toward the world. William Holden plays the bitter, cynical, un-trusting, real estate agent who has convinced himself he likes being alone. At times the dialog gets a bit sappy, but overall I liked the issues the movie dealt with, and some of the conversations. It's just a small movie with believable performances and admittedly some uncomfortable moments because of the age difference of the leads.
½ May 7, 2009
Clint Eastwood's third film as a director (and the first in which he did not star) is a sudsy soap opera of the highest caliber. Kay Lenz plays the title character, a 19 year-old hippie chick who is high on life; William Holden plays a cynical, middle-aged real estate agent with a nice pad in the Hollywood Hills. The two of them meet cute and fall in love, the collision of their two worlds carrying a broader set of cultural meanings for a society that was just beginning to move on from the 1960s. Like "Play Misty For Me" (Clint's directorial debut, also written by Jo Helms), "Breezy" seems to continue the strain of ambivalence toward the counterculture that began in "Coogan's Bluff": old-fashioned, professional, narcissistic males trying to wrap their heads and legs around the new sexual mores of the modern world. Indeed, if we were to identify a central theme that spans Eastwood's career it would be that of aging and the American male, and "Breezy" was one of his clearest and earliest essays on the topic -- thanks to a remarkably layered performance from Holden. It's a shame that Eastwood didn't start to get recognition as a director until the 1990s: his body of work from the 1970s (which also included "High Plains Drifter", "The Outlaw Josey Wales", "The Gauntlet", and [cough] "The Eiger Sanction") was as remarkable and as varied as any other director in that most golden of decades.
½ May 3, 2009
One of the first movies that Clint Eastwood directed, with screen legend William Holden in the twilight of his career. Clint reprises a similar theme in the movie Gran Torino.
April 22, 2009
A bit of nostalgia and hopeless romance. At least they didn't die like most of the movies in the early 70s.
April 14, 2009
I LOVE THE MOVIE SO MUCH THAT HOW LOVE SHOUD BE
April 8, 2009
Kay Lenz is stunning in this film. William Holden does a great acting job- I have a real soft spot for him due to his role in the book The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. Very 70s. Would have been more comfortable with the love story if Breezy had seemed mid twenties rather than late teens early twenties. You see Eastwood doing some things with shadow in this film that you can see in Unforgiven. Like that they go see an Eastwood film. I'd say the moral of the film is to just enjoy whatever time you have with loved ones.
April 4, 2009
Acting was okay, story was okay, the characters were interesting to see develop and there were some really funny parts. But I didn't really want most of what happened to happen. Didn't quite identify with this one.
½ February 15, 2009
On va encore dire que je suis une incurable fleur bleue , mais ce film est vraiment très touchant. Et puis William Holden, c'est un peu comme Sean Connery: à 20, 45 ou 65 ans, c'est toujours aussi agréable à regarder!!
November 2, 2008
I finally found the DVD and watched it
tonight. First time in approx. 25 years !!
Excellent interplay between William
Holden and Kay Lenz. I will love this
flick forever !! Directed by Clint
Eastwood {1973}
September 14, 2008
Its a nice film. It kinda looks like a Carpenters video but i suppose thats because of the era it was made. Bily Holden does a grand job of being the grumpy old man with a hard-on