Brenda Starr - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ June 13, 2015
What the hell was that?
jjnxn
December 3, 2013
Dead on arrival insult to the comic with terrible performances. The only thing this has going for it are the traffic stopping outfits worn by Brooke Shields. Skip it.
½ October 26, 2013
"The Rocketeer" did a FAR better job of capturing 1940s comic book nostalgia, innocence and heart (with a touch of camp). "Brenda Starr" on the other hand, in this story of adventurous female newspaper report Starr, makes the 1940s look more like a cheap TV movie version of Warren Beatty's "Dick Tracey." And then throw in the bizarre conceit of the Brenda Starr comic strip artist being sucked into the comic strip world, and it all adds up to an awful mess. However, in the film's favor, although not a great actress, I've always liked Brooke Shields and she makes Starr a likable character, even if she's a insultingly unliberated female character who seems more interested in straightening her skirt and buying cute outfits than getting her news story. You also get Timothy Dalton in an eyepatch, Jeffrey Tambor as a Russian commie and quite a few other familiar faces including Charles Durning, Kathleen Wilhoite, Eddie Albert and Henry Gibson. The score by Johnny Mandel is probably the best thing about the film, but that's unfortunately a pretty low bar.
April 24, 2013
This is a really poorly paced film, but Brooke Shields is dazzling in it. And it's always a treat to see Timothy Dalton on screen.
February 27, 2013
MAN I WORKED WITH BROOKE AND IT WAS AWSOME!! DIRECTOR MILLER AS WELL ANOTHER GREAT MAN !!! != STARS
May 10, 2012
james bond in indiana jones movie
April 19, 2011
Caught this whilst I was on holiday; had it not been for all the other channels being a completely different language, I would've switched over. As it happens I sat through the whole thing. The main plot concerns an animator who draws himself into the life of Brenda Starr (Brooke Shields) and follows her round the world looking for a scoop about a man who invented a new form of petrol. What follows is a fairly drab film, full of set piece slapstick humour and bad characters, there's nothing particularly redeeming about the film and the characters retain the two dimensionality of their comic-book personas. This film is watchable, you might smile a little throughout, but I'd recommend just not bothering in the first place.
February 3, 2011
Sergio Kato is from Brazil, he play the Portuguese Driver...Good actor... Yassy
½ September 26, 2009
Nice adaptation of the comic book.
December 8, 2008
Even 'The Blue Lagoon' was better than this drivel.
November 30, 2008
Originally filmed in 1986, BRENDA STARR wasn't released theatrically in the United States until 1992. Why? Well, it's just not that good. I mean, I enjoyed it; it's a fun, mindless little flick. What's wrong with it is hard to really put into words. Anyway, based on a comic strip, the film is about an animator who draws himself into the story and goes along with Ms. Starr on an adventure. On another note, I have never really found Brooke Shields very attractive until I saw her in this.
June 4, 2008
"Brenda Starr" is a really bad TV movie, except for the great period costume designs by Peggy Farrell, who also worked on the "Young Indiana Jones" TV series.
½ August 25, 2007
plain silly isn't funny... but I have seen worse - at least this film didn't think it had a message or depth!
½ August 24, 2007
Every sunday after church I'd go home chanting Brenda Starr just towatch it... but it was better when I was younger
August 4, 2007
i watched this when i was little. it had this old comic spoof thing going...i like the kitschiness of it. it is playful
½ July 2, 2007
Brooke sparkles as Starr
December 6, 2006
I wonder what this is about, i think ill see it!
½ November 8, 2006
I think this is the one starring Brooke Shields playing a reporter back in the 1940's & was suppose to ba a comedy, but I just didn't think it was that funny.
½ August 11, 2006
its not really pouplaur but i liked it