Brick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brick Reviews

½ December 19, 2015
Brick fell flat. It felt like a student film gone bad. I guess it could have been worse though if the dialogue was like Hamlet.
½ December 11, 2015
Hilarious 'high-school noir' sticks to genre formula, wins.
½ November 24, 2015
Brick had some interesting moments and it was a unique film that paid homage to classic noir films. The plot followed a high school kid played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt who was trying to find the murderer of his x-girlfriend. He went undercover into a local gang type group and worked with his friend to solve the mystery. The dialogue was very witty and its style was very poetic almost, you'll just have to hear it to understand. It was a little slow at times and a bit weird but the performance by JGL was great so it was hard to lose interest. The conclusion wasn't that amazing but it was exciting and was a bit of shocker. Brick is definitely one of those artistic films that strays from the main stream and will not be everyones cup of tea. The acting was good, the mystery was fun to follow but the film as a whole did not add up to be a great one.
November 15, 2015
It's an unexpected deep movie in its world, filmed and edited superbly.
November 9, 2015
While some may get more out of it than others, "Brick" is the type of film that you either choose to go along with or you don't. As Brendan discovers his ex-girlfriend has been murdered, he begins to uncover the mystery by working with an underground crew of drug dealers. While you may think all of the answers are given by the end of this film, I surely think the opposite. They try very hard to explain everything through the visuals and through excessive amounts of dialogue, and I think that worked about 75% of the time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is great as the leading man and director Rian Johnson does a great job for his first ever feature film. With incredibly intriguing cinematography, a great (yet complex) script, and energetic editing, "Brick" is a very solid film. It definitely warrants multiple viewings in order to understand the full message being given. I would highly recommend this movie to film junkies. Other than that, I feel this film will leave too much to be desired. Personally, as a whole, I think this is a great film!
½ November 8, 2015
I am not typically a noir fan but I gave this 3.5 stars for the creativeness of the plot and the quality of the acting. It is unique and well-done. The acting is solid, the action well-shot and the sets have particular attention to whimsical detail, all of which contribute to its appeal. Gordon-Levitt turns in another excellent performance; he is an exceptional actor with the ability to portray complex characters to understated perfection.
½ November 8, 2015
Yet another well done film, care of Joesph Gordon-Levitt!!!
November 7, 2015
Inconsistent, hyper-pretentious, cliched, unbelievable performances by the actors, jilted pacing, like a high school student read a bunch of noir novels and decided to string together types of scenes for a thin plot rather than make a nice thread across some fine fabric. Not so much a movie as an experiment.
½ November 2, 2015
HORRIBLE WRITING AND DIRECTING!!!! I had such high hopes for this movie due to Levitt and Haas, but the writer/director is trying too hard to be "art house-ish" What a disaster!!! The dialog is sooo unbelievable that it is comical. The only appeal is for those type of histers that need to fake cool just to prop up their own egos... yea you know the type. This is what I presume the majority of the "liked it" reviews are... It clearly is not the script! In short, great premise, horrible dialog and horrible directing of two great actors who went on to shine together in Inception just a few years later. My advice is to avoid this writer/director at all costs and enjoy a real director of heavy dark plots like David Fincher.
October 30, 2015
Film noir homages never seem to play with the idea of making a good movie - so bent are they on their textures and tones that they forget about memorability and hide behind Fritz Lang inspired delicacies. Directors can play dress up all they want; but at the end of the day, it is the snappy originality of "Double Indemnity" or "The Big Heat" that makes them classics, not the way they look and feel. They have to work as an experience. Audiences tire of gloss on an empty stomach.
So 2006's "Brick," a recent neo-noir cult classic, is a breath of freshly cigarette soaked air, acting as a high school movie where angst is replaced by a whodunit, where shallow conversations become heavily witty battles of words, where gumshoes of the Philip Marlowe merit are characterized not as cynical, alcohol infused cynics but as spry, shaggy haired loners. It takes the tackiness of an homage and turns the stale into the crisp - it emits ingenuity, tickling our noir familiar senses until breathing becomes a difficulty. It is, for the most part, a descendant of "Murder, My Sweet" disguised as a high school movie, delightful until it isn't anymore.
The film follows leading character Brendan Frye's (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) investigation of the mysterious death of his ex-girlfriend (Emilie De Ravin), who, only moments before her murder, called him in a rambling, disconcerting panic. As "Brick" is a film with more in common with "The Big Sleep" than "Clueless," an assortment of colorful characters may or may not be involved, ranging from modern-day, teenage femme fatales (Meagan Good, Nora Zehetner) to eccentrics with a taste for young age crime (Lukas Haas, Noah Fleiss).
Like all character based, labyrinthine film noir, "Brick" is not as concerned with murder as it is with dialogue - it retains interest not from the center mystery itself but through the way its characters interact, trading barbs like Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall like it's their day job. Toward the last act, the film loses itself in its insistence to maintain authentic noir style, and we wish it would stop beating around the bush - one would rather simply solve a murder than skirt around and around exchanges for centuries - but, for most of its length, I found myself enchanted, in part to the mesmerizing performances of its cast and the dedicated direction of Rian Johnson, who made his filmmaking debut here.
Levitt makes for an agreeably quirky protagonist, his tension ridden acting style well-suited for this sort of material - and the women of the film, most notably Good and Zehetner, give "Brick" its backbone, spinning a web of sexy deception as equally penetrative as Claire Trevor ever could. Johnson doesn't so much depend on the stylistic cues the Wilders and the Siodmaks built all those years ago as he does match them in tone. He captures the spirit of noir without copying it - the convergence of the high school movie and the 1940s crime film works surprisingly well.
I suppose I'm not as head over heels in love with "Brick" as many of the members of its devoted cult following are - I find its flourishes to eventually grow tiresome - but it is undeniably unique, so much so that I'm sure there won't be an indie movie so completely its own to be released for at least another five years. Few risky filmmaking exercises work; thankfully, "Brick" does.
October 12, 2015
This movie made me want to throw a brick through the screen. Save your money. Boy solves murder and wipes out some drug dealers. Good preview but don't spend any more time than that.
½ October 4, 2015
A meta comedy murder mystery extravaganza
½ September 27, 2015
The movie story line is good. But as usual it was a little bit complicated.
September 6, 2015
I really can't think of any flaws in this movie. I wouldn't give it a perfect 10, but it's as close to perfect as any movie I've ever seen. It really just sweeps you up into this world of intrigue and crime and takes you on a journey as the mystery of this girl unfolds before your eyes. Johnson created a somehow believable crime underworld in a high school that just makes you more curious as the story progresses. Brick is a masterfully directed movie with perfect dialogue, believable characters, and a story that keeps you guessing until the end.
September 1, 2015
August 15, 2015
This movie is brilliant it take a noir detective story and twists in a way that on its head would seem lame but it pulled off in such a way that makes perfect sense. The polt line could easily be a big budget summer popcorn movie with lots of gunplay, but it all comes across more real as the drama that plays out in the smaller setting of characters that think they run the world.
July 27, 2015
My first Rian Johnson film and I love JGL performance.
½ July 26, 2015
Intriguing setting, well filmed and acted, but not engaging enough to be a totally satisfying experience.
July 18, 2015
One of my ultimate favourites. Incredibly original, slick and rewarding.
½ July 15, 2015
An intelligent story with fantastic acting from a young JGL. The plot pulls no punches on complexity, and the neo-noir atmosphere of the mystery gives a romantic feel.