The Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bride Reviews

January 21, 2011
This version of Mary Shelley's famous story has often been heavily criticised surprisingly. Actually I find it a refreshing and imaginative effort. It concerns the efforts of Baron Charles Frankenstein (Sting) to create, control and ultimately to conquer the perfect woman. After an electrifying creation scene, the Baron's first male creation comes to claim his counterpart but disaster results and he runs off into the night. After rescuing the raven haired beauty from the flames engulfing his laboratory the Baron decides to tell people she was brought to him after being discovered unconscious in the woods. He gives her the name Eva and begins educating her. In the meantime the male creature befriends a dwarf after rescuing him from a group of tormenting schoolboys. The dwarf looks beyond the creature's unusual appearance and sees a man simply longing for friendship and acceptance. He gives him the name Viktor teaches him about life on the road. The two stories intertwine until circumstances bring Viktor back to the Baron's castle to try to win back his "bride". The Baron's creations are played by Jennifer Beals and Clancy Brown. The late David Rappaport plays the dwarf Rinaldo. If I have any criticisms it's that Sting in his portrayal of the Baron has a constant irritated look on his face and final confrontation between Eva and the Baron could have been better written. Other than that I really enjoyed it.
January 21, 2011
November 23, 2010
I can't but help loving this movie adn wanting Viktor and Eva to end up together.
½ September 30, 2010
interesting.....
the innocent jennifer beals is amazingly cute in the movie. her first movie.
½ September 28, 2010
Horrible. From the beginning to the end.
½ April 4, 2010
Yeah baby!!!!!!!!! What's his real name?
½ March 30, 2010
Absolutely loved it, a wonderful take on the Frankenstein story. It is NOT a remake of the Bride of Frankenstein.
366weirdmovies
½ February 25, 2010
Dr. Frankenstein builds a mate for his creation, but instead decides to turn her into a feminist icon (!), so the original monster leaves to join the circus with a dwarf (!). Pointless and ridiculous "remake" of THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.
½ February 19, 2010
I have always loved this 80s horror/fantasy movie. Although dated, it's still a guilty pleasure of mine.
February 13, 2010
People hate this adaption of FRANKENSTEIN because it looks and sounds pretentious but its story is very intriguing; the "wretched" Victor Frankenstein creates the monster who the townspeople end-up calling Victor; FRANKENSTEIN abandons his creature and creates a female creature for whom he develops an incestuous desire for.

Part of Mary Shelly's 1816 novel FRANKENSTEIN, OR THE MODERN PROMETHEUS' includes the premise of creating something you can't control that destroys its creator.

FRANKENSTEIN, played by STING (whose birth name is GORDON MATTHEW SUMMER) is POSSESSIVE, CONTROLLING, and DOMINATING and THE BRIDE by Jennifer Beals is rescued by her "brother".

People in 1985 wanted blood and guts I think and that's too bad because there's a lot of story-elements containing divergent concepts about love and responsibility and parenting to be gleaned from THE BRIDE.

released in 1985 with LIFE FORCE, FRIGHT NIGHT, DAY OF THE DEAD, RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, and RE-ANIMATOR
what a great Summer!!!!! HORROR WALL-TO-WALL in theaters that year of 1985
January 16, 2010
The Bride is a remake of THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.
ScoopOnline
December 29, 2009
Christ I keep wondering why make many Remakes over the years though I have to admit this Remake was a guilty Joy.
½ December 6, 2009
More a re-imagining and continuation than a remake of The Bride of Frankenstein shorn of any horrific elements and told more as a story of sexual politics. Sting (the pop singer chappie) shows he's definately no Peter Cushing though he looks dashing enough. The film offers a delightful bonus scene which is great twist on the "Monster meets a blind man" scene and the sets and the overall style fit very much into the Hammer mittle-Europe mould. The music is also 'Hammer-style' in places. There's also some totally dropped plot threads, such as The Monster and Eva's apparent psychic link, which comes and goes at random. Nevertheless it's not an unpleasant way of passing an hour or so.
November 9, 2009
great film =) gave me some laughs
August 1, 2009
I put off watching this film for the longest time despite being a fan of the original 1935 film Bride of Frankenstein. The reason I did is because I'm not a fan of either Sting or Jennifer Beals. Since I was having a Frankenstein marathon I decided to finally sit down and give this film a try.

Like I expected I was hardly impressed. The first thing that strikes me strange about this film is that it's a remake of a sequel. The original Bride of Frankenstein for people who don't know was a sequel to 1931's Frankenstein. Though this is a remake of that popular sequel this itself isn't a follow-up to any other Frankenstein film. Right away the viewer better be familiar with the story of Frankenstein or else they are going to be lost.

After a really blah title sequence the film opens up with Dr. Frankenstein in his castle preparing to bring 'The Bride' back to life whilst his first creation (the monster played by Clancey Brown) is waiting in the dark. This is a great sequence that in the original film was left for the final reel. Here it opens the film so we know it's not going to be a direct remake. After the great first sequence the film goes down hill fast.

Dr. Frankenstein starts to take a fancy to his cute-as-button creation and his first monster gets pissed, blows up his lab and high tails it into the forest where he ends up befriending a midget (?!?!?!). No I am not making this up. This is where the story splits in two as Frankenstein takes 'The Bride' and starts to teach her manners, takes her on horse rides, etc and 'The Monster' and his midget friend go on a journey and end up joining a circus. Again I am not making this up. I forgot to mention that it seems that both 'The Bride' and 'The Monster' have a psychic connection. Yet again I am not making this up. By the time the film starts picking up towards the end the viewer has already lost interest.

The biggest problem with the film is that it is extremely short on "horror". The filmmakers forgot that the original Bride of Frankenstein was a horror film above all and tried to make it into a romance film. For some reason many filmmakers look down upon the horror genre (no doubt these filmmakers do) and they took a classic story and tried to turn it into something else...and failed miserably.

The directing is another problem as Franc Roddam gives the film a rather blah, almost TV made look. This is a shame as the film does boast impressive sets and costume design. The dialogue is also blah and sometime just awful. For example 'The Bride' screams at a cat. When Frankenstein asks why she was scared of it she responds "You never told me about cats. I thought it was a small lion." She's heard of lions but not cats? grrrr...

Clancy Brown, an actor I usually like, was also very boring as Frankenstein's monster. This is the badass that played the psychotic villain in Highlander? Not to mention his make-up has to be the worst make-up design for the Frankenstein monster in any film adaption.

Overall I found the film to be boring, overlong, and short on style. The only other thing to really praise about the film is the acting talent of David Rappaport as Rinaldo the Midget as he steals the show. Yes a secondary character is more interesting than all the main characters put together. As I write this another remake is in the works. Let's hope those filmmakers decide to stay closer to the source material. My advice is to skip it and stick with the original.
July 20, 2009
To me this movie wad absolutely fantastic. Jennifer Beals was as of a wonderful as an actress as she is now, all of her work seems to inspire me more znd more to still become an actress. Stings performance was also very brillant the film overal itself was marvelous.....
June 9, 2009
It looks like a horror film, but there is too many other things going on in the film for you to even focus on one thing.
½ May 22, 2009
Disappointing. The film looks great - the costumes and the sets are wonderful - but there was just something lacking, maybe in the story itself...or in the acting department. ;) Frankly, I wasn't all that interested in the adventures of Viktor and Rinaldo. It felt like they belonged to an entirely different film.
½ March 21, 2009
Been a while since I first saw this and my impression of it back then hasn't changed. The best performances come from Rappaport and Brown although there is a nice reversal of the blind man scene from the earlier The Bride of Frankenstein.
February 14, 2009