The Bride of Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bride of Frankenstein Reviews

October 8, 2015
There are some dramatic and powerful scenes in this classic horror film. Featuring solid performances, good cinematography, lighting and music, this movie is a great achievement in the genre. 1001
½ October 4, 2015
The Bride is really a background character compared to the singular complexity of Karloff's monster that continues to capture the complexity and frustration from Shelley's original work. A classicly Gothic treat for horror cinema fans.
August 30, 2015
Has a lighter tone than the original, and yet is the perfect sequel to it.
August 14, 2015
I guess he's not her type.
½ July 28, 2015
As laughable as this film is, it is still a great sequel to the previous film.
July 15, 2015
Good Movie Good Classic
June 6, 2015
Another great edition to the Frankenstein franchise.
April 25, 2015
About as good as the first film, and in some ways better. There are many fun moments with the characters, and some oddly weird scenes. The Bride's appearance is short, but classic. Some of the best cinematography yet in the Universal Monster series.
March 31, 2015
A fantastic sequel! I was impressed by the voiceover narration and the scenes from the original being included. Really good way to start out a sequel. It had a strong story! Although I do find the title to be a little misleading, but that doesn't really matter, I guess. One thing that I, and every other horror film viewer, know is that horror movies are notorious for having characters who, in their terrorized state, make the worst decisions possible- and this film is no exception. There were so many characters who were constantly making stupid mistakes and causing unnecessary harm to others/themselves. And they never learn." New information? Bad outcome? Who cares! Let's do the same thing over again!" That was a little frustrating, but what can ya do? *shrugging emoji*

Fascinating characters, new and old. Great character development with the monster. Amazing effects!! AMAZING, can't believe what they managed to do in 1935. Really impressed by their creativity and innovation in story-telling techniques. Great angles, a wide variety, including some very Beautiful, elaborate sets, and impressive props. A great score complementing the film, wow.

Super creepy, thrilling, and very entertaining. Gotta suspend your disbelief many times regarding the mortality of the characters. I'm sure it was just due to a more modest audience's standards, but to a viewer in 2015, the violence is silly. Any deliberate killing was done with minimal effort and in a way that obviously wouldn't actually kill anyone, but when serious injuries occur they heal rapidly, miraculously.

Definitely a good watch. I recommend it. Don't know if I'll ever watch it again and or own it, but it's a fun one!

8/10

Bye love you
February 1, 2015
James Whale, Boris Karloff & Colin Clive Re-unite In Bride Of Frankenstein. Although It Ruins The Ending Of The First Film, This Sequel Again Shows That Frankenstein's Monster Is Not Actually A Terrible Being. But Like A Misunderstood Child, Rejected By The Public Just Because He Looks Different. The Childish Side To Karloff's Character Can Be Seen Especially In The Scene With The Blind Hermit. There Is A Long Suspenseful Build-Up To The Revealing Of The Monster's Bride, Only To Be Blown Up Shortly After. But Once Again James Whale Does A Fantastic Job At Directing, Just As Karloff's Performance Is Top Notch. This is one of those rare instances where the sequel is said to be superior than it's original & in many ways it is.
January 29, 2015
The peak of the Universal Horror films. A wonderful mix of horror and comedy. I must say ... I cannot stand Una O'Connor and her shrieking, over the top performance is too much for me. That said, she's not in enough of this film to ruin it for me. I'm also not a fan of the really silly, unnecessary prologue. But Karloff surpasses his performance in the original and creates a complex, moving character. Colin Clive, who was a bit of a weak point in "Frankenstein", is much better here. Ernest Thesiger is simply incredible. A masterpiece.
November 17, 2014
One of the strangest Hollywood films I've come across-- tonally schizophrenic, utterly inventive, funny, frightening, heart wrenching... What more could you want?

James Whale takes so many chances from start to finish, never playing it safe, yanking us from the deceptively-simple moral fable of the first film into the the wild woods beyond. What happens when the fairy tale is over, when the supposed "happily ever after" sets in? Whale's last minute "happy" ending to the first film (changed at the behest of the studio based on poor audience response) was subtle in its dark irony, and in "Bride" he makes those intentions clearer through deeper thematic exploration. Karloff as the (literal) Son of Man is amazing, and Colin Clive is even more wonderfully desperate and haunted than the first go. Ernest Thesiger's Dr. Pretorius is an all-timer in the history of film villains, and Elsa Lanchester's remarkable five-minute-performane as The Bride is incredible for its terrifying specificity and craft.

One of the greats.
November 9, 2014
I personally prefer the original Frankenstein, but this sequel is fantastic. It may delve into the camp and the comedy a bit more, but it has a great style, and some classic scenes. Dr. Praetorius is a nut, one that jumps off the screen. Karloff also excels as the monster as he learns to speak, seeks love, and grows as something more than a monster. Elsa Lanchester is also very good as the Bride. Many love this film more than the original, I can't say I did. I prefer the more horror tone of the first than the more stylized camp seen here, but there is still a lot to love.
½ October 31, 2014
Not the best Universal Monster film. Karloff returns and still impresses as The Monster. In this sequel, he is softened a bit. The Monster is more likable, and he talks here uttering a few classic lines like "We belong dead". Colin Clive also returns as Henry Frankenstein, and gets a significantly reduced amount of screen time. This sequel makes obvious some of the themes in Frankenstein, and I'd count that as a bit of a weak point. Other weak points include a distinct attempt at comedy, but these parts come on way too strong, is over the top, and when are present almost drown out every other aspect of the film (the worst sinner when it comes to this is Una O'Connor who is just over-the-top and grating). One of the more curious aspects of this film is that, for some strange reason, Lovecraft's Dr. Pretorius is the main villain here. It doesn't make much sense why (or how) he is even here, but I do appreciate it as sort of a loving nod to another classic literary author and character. While there are a few classic scenes and lines, overall Bride of Frankenstein is still a fairly uneven but enjoyable outing. I would;t say it's iconic, or even great but it is good and fun.
October 26, 2014
As far as sequels go, "The Bride of Frankenstein" is great, however, I felt like I wanted more of the bride than what was delivered. Instead of having the entire film build to that one climatic moment, it should have happened earlier on and then have added more suspense to whether or not it would work out. I felt a bit let down with this sequel. Boris Karloff actually improves on his acting from the first and makes you feel for him in every moment throughout this film, and I will say that is the one aspect that was done better, emotion. The character of Frankenstein's Monster has much more to do here, but nobody else seems to be as motivated as he does for finding his mate. Overall, it is a great classic film that is definitely rewatchable, but the original is the true marvel. "The Bride of Frankenstein" is great!
October 20, 2014
The greatest sequel of all time.
½ October 12, 2014
Definitely recommend for fans of the original. The monster talking wasn't appealing to me at first but this wouldn't have worked without it. The bride is hot and creepy at the same time. If only I was a monster in the '30s. I would so hit that.
October 10, 2014
This James Whale masterpiece just gets better with each viewing. Every facet of the movie, from script, direction, acting, score, cinematography, and production, is world class. Not to be missed.
October 10, 2014
This is the Universal classic and monster movie by which all other monster movies should be rated. Atmospheric, ghoulishly funny and poignant, it's suitable for all ages and all ages will derive something from it. Karloff is at his peak here, the framing story gives some slight historical context and Ernest Thesiger steals the show!