Bride of the Gorilla Reviews

• Apr 26, 2015

could have used more Gorilla killing spree but a decent B movie flick for a slow sunday.

• Apr 07, 2014

45% Not even Lon can help this one.

45% Not even Lon can help this one.

• Feb 22, 2014

Medieval legend and Heart of Darkness rolled into one Odd, almost surreal, jungle madness--Jungle Justice: Favors None But Equals All!!

• Jul 17, 2013

Essentially a werewolf movie but with a gorilla. A moral-play with murder and voodoo, with a very abrupt ending.

• Apr 23, 2013

Not as bad as all that. Raymond Burr plays a plantation owner who all of a sudden has a strange attraction to the jungle, much to the chagrin of his new wife. What could be causing it? Though the reasoning is silly, Burr and friends keep this movie going until it's predictably cheesy ending.

• Mar 03, 2013

What's this? I've given Bride Of The Gorilla a passing rating? What is this monstrosity? And some of my more astute readers will find even more bizarre that while I gave Bride Of The Gorilla a "thumbs up," I gave The Wolf Man (also with Lon Chaney, Jr.) a "thumbs down." Of course, this is the fundamental problem with the critics' "thumbs up/thumbs down" system. While I do think Bride Of The Gorilla was, perhaps, not as well-put-together as The Wolf Man, Bride Of The Gorilla had a lot of attention put into the character development and I was, incredibly surprisingly, intrigued. That's what made this film work for me. I was interested. Plain and simple, I was interested with what was happening to the characters. The film stars Raymond Burr as an owner of a wealthy plantation out in the jungle who one day kills a rival of his and gets away with it. A mysterious witch who saw the event puts a curse on him that turns him into an ape-like beast at night. The plot from here is relatively similar to The Wolf Man: the guy kills some animals and people at night while the police force (including the very recognizable and distinguished Lon Chaney, Jr.) try to figure out what is going on. The film also features an interesting little love story between the Raymond Burr character and the wife of the man he killed. This girl is played by Barbara Payton, and she and Burr share some very nice chemistry with each other. Neither of them are brilliant actors, but both of them work well and simply enough off of each other to make the love story work. It is very important that this love story work, as this is the heart of the film. It shows the price that Burr's character pays in order to get with Payton's character and the way they may not be able to end up together thanks to the curse that has been placed on Burr. One of the biggest aspects of the film that made it work for me was that the film's horrible gorilla effect was only shown a couple of times. It's almost as though the director (otherwise not distinguished in any way, really) knew that the gorilla looked horrible, and so left a majority of what happens between the gorilla and its victims up to the imagination. This is impressive, and it's a directorial philosophy that would later be adopted to great success by Spielberg twenty-four years in the future. In addition to all this, there are some nice moments of tension, the cameraman seemed to know what he was doing, and the screenplay was not too bad. The film works simply, and ultimately it pays off. I enjoyed watching the film and I found myself interested in what was going on. This is not a particularly great film, but I was surprised to find it to be one of the few B-list films that actually works. 6/10

• Oct 26, 2012

Bride of the Gorilla was funnier than scary, I do understand that this movie was made in 1951, but I was not that impressed with the story or the character build up. Most of the time we see the main character Raymond Burr stumbling in and out of the plantation. Throughout the film I was waiting for something great to happen, but I was instead forced to watch one bad 50's horror movie. Don't bother watching this, there are many other 50's horror movies that are much better than this.

• Mar 11, 2012

Nothing too spectacular. Raymond Burr is ok in this one, but the story isn't too interesting and it ends suddenly with no connection to the wrecked house that appears in the beginning of the film. Overall it's boring with very few good scenes.

• Apr 17, 2011

Justice in the jungle.

Justice in the jungle.

• Apr 09, 2011

This movie is a complete waste of time.And tyhis is supposed to be a Sci-Fi movie? Really?