Bridegroom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bridegroom Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
Sure it could have been less drippy and relied less on talking heads, but this documentary at least makes up for that with the strength of what it tells: a heartbreaking story about a stupid death, the pain that comes with it and the intolerance of religious people.
October 15, 2016
Really sad and the tomparents really are bad parent especially fuck way hate the bridegroom from Indiana
August 6, 2016
A friend told me about this and now I hate her. It made me cry so much. If you you honk gay marriage is just about a ring, please watch this.
August 4, 2016
This is an emotional story of two boys who love each other with all their heart. It shows that no matter who you are or what your orientation is, love is strong.
April 6, 2016
This shattered my heart into millions of pieces and what makes me even sadder is that stories like this still do not affect people's views nowadays,and that still homophobia,hatred and discrimination are going strong.Love is love,and it doesn't have to end with death to finally see it.
September 19, 2015
An incredibly moving and heartbreaking documentary.
½ August 30, 2015
Heartbreaking story of love, loss & bigotry. Tom died following a tragic accident. He died alone as the hospital wouldn't allow his loving partner (Shane) of 6 years to be with him as he was "not family". Tom's parents retrieved the body and banished Shane from the funeral as they did not recognise him or their relationship. This documentary tells the story of the beautiful relationship these two young guys shared, that the law and family of Tom had denied. Powerfully moving.
August 22, 2015
I have never cried some much over a documentary, what a touching story. Bless you Shane & Tom
July 27, 2015
Bridegrooms

I wasn't with my partner, Jerry, when he passed away in 1999, for some of the same reasons Shane wasn't at Tom's funeral in this film. I could have been at his bedside and at his funeral, but it would have brought dishonor upon the passing of the person I loved most in this world, and tarnishing his memory, by far, was the worst outcome.

The message of this film is love. Aren't we all better people when we remember that message?

It's easy to look back on life and say: I wish I'd done this or that differently. For example, the over-long solo disco sequence at one of my 7th or 8th grade dances that I so very much hope nobody remembers. I'd love to erase that horror from memory - especially mine.

But while I know the decision I made was right - Jerry didn't deserve the conflict that would have arisen from my presence when he died (though I spent every other minute of his life with him caring for him while he was dying) - if I could go back and change one thing in all of my life, I would be at his side.

Not a lunch with Lincoln or Tolkien, or a chat with Buddha or Jesus. I would be at Jerry's side when he died.

For that I would pay the ransom of Eden found.

So, this was supposed to be a small movie review. I should review it. Here we go: 5/5 stars. This documentary was beautifully told. :-)

More importantly, again: love is everything. Love is the greatest of all that is good. And you're not less of a man or a person for knowing and showing that. We should spend less time getting in the way of love, and more time experiencing what it's like to love and be loved.
May 2, 2015
It's amazing how ignorant people can be. what exactly are they thinking? why can they be so inhumane? love is love. God gave us free will. the more you push your own views on others, the more they either crumble or they raise up even higher than you could ever imagine. because a person loses their voice in this world, doesn't mean their message isn't heard all around it. they may be "protecting" their child but in reality they are surpressing how incredible of a human being he is.
½ April 18, 2015
Conmovedor documental... Verlo después de "Interior. Leather Bar" me confrontó acerca de ese concepto de homonormatividad que ese otro documental pone en cuestión... ¿En verdad todos queremos ser amados? "We all just want to be loved"? ¿Todos queremos tener esta historia de amor...?
½ March 13, 2015
Absolutely amazing documentary. 4.5/5
½ January 7, 2015
"It's not a gay thing, it's not a straight thing. It's a human thing." So says one of the many attractive friends of Tom and Shane, the two gay mean featured in this documentary about love and death. Based on ratings and hype, I expected it might make a run for an Oscar. Having watched it, I think it would take a weak field. That said, it's not an uncompelling story.

The Bio Channel show I Survived... had been hailed by myself as brilliant. Those are truly compelling stories and it's just the people involved against a black backdrop telling said story. And you're sucked in. A lot of this documentary is like that. There's no real visuals as to the story itself other than lots and lots of photographs. As someone who'd be hard pressed to find 100 photos of myself from the last 5-10 years, I found it a little annoying. But I guess that's what pretty people do.

So you have something building in the way of a love story but you already know one of the main characters died an untimely death. When done well, that creates more buildup than not knowing what is going to happen. I guess it's done fairly well in this.

Skipping everything else, here's some commentary. Gay is so clearly not a choice. Look at the beautiful women in this film. How could Tom and Shane not be in love with them? Oh, because it's not a choice. They're friggin gorgeous. And my other commentary is how very sad Tom's parents must be. Someone on imdb called this a slap in the face by a whiny boy who didn't get to attend his boyfriend's funeral. Eh, it's a lot more than that. At first I hated those parents, then I liked the mom and she really warmed my heart that she put everything aside to get her son back. So the turn when he dies is, frankly, fucking inexplicable. I hate them for their ignorance. No doubt, the family lost their son at a young age. I'm sure even my mom would be pretty active in the process after. But to take over and exclude someone I loved? Not a chance. It's disgusting behavior.

A little more commentary: I found it hard to relate to these guys. Good looking dudes who love to take pics of themselves and seem to kinda have it made. Shane's video diary is terribly annoying and I don't get that at all. But all that aside, they seemed like decent humans. And they loved each other. And that's really what life should be about. How the fuck anyone could complain or want to deny anyone consensual adult love will always be beyond me.

My final three comments then: what a great thing the nurses did after Tom died. Evidently, they went against hospital policy to secretly do the right thing. And they even tried to fix Tom up before they did it. That's a whole shit ton of humanity. And the other is the song at the end of the movie. Huge credit to Ben (Macklemore) for putting that song on the radio. And finally...it's a huge spoiler of sorts, but one of the final scenes made my eyes water. Not sure if it was that touching or just brilliant filmmaking/storytelling to disclose that information at that time. But it was definitely a strong finish to the documentary.
½ December 4, 2014
A bit of American gay propaganda, and such a random story, but still quite touching. Very welldone and well scripted indeed.
September 27, 2014
One of the most heart breaking movies I've ever seen.
August 17, 2014
Incredibly sad documentary but a must see movie.
August 2, 2014
A great picture of reality that all should see and be aware of. I cried my eyes out during the whole thing. Its a shame how we treat each other as human beings.
July 28, 2014
pretty standard as far as documentary narrative styles go, but really heartfelt and tragic when we get to the core of the issue. the personal approach to the story worked really well - you really got to know the characters, and ultimately feel their pain, and to realize that they're real people and that there are millions out there with a similar fate was definitely disturbing. it's a film about love and it does a fantastic job at letting us see the humanity or lack thereof behind our politics.
June 30, 2014
Really just an arbitrary rating at this point. The story is more important than any star rating can afford it.
June 13, 2014
movie about gay people struggles, somehow now in vogue and far eclipse any heterosexual social issues and personal relationships. Today you can release anything "2 gay guys riding a bus" and it will be met with critical praise.