Brideshead Revisited - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brideshead Revisited Reviews

March 22, 2013
Beautiful and moving, though it doesn't tell the story you expect at the start. Excellent performances from Emma Thompson, Matthew Goode, and Michael Gambon.
½ January 26, 2013
It is entertaining, tough it is just one of those movies where things seem to just "happen" without a point. The "why should I care" factors heavily in the story where religion screwed up everybody's lives and art is almost irrelevant for the artist and there's a love triangle that isn't worth the trouble...
Emma thompson is good as always, though a bit underused. Everyone else does an ok job (with "sebastian" probably being the better one).
It's a nice movie, but entirely forgettable.
January 3, 2013
This was such a disappointment! The original TV miniseries was so powerful--this was just a shadow of the book and the original TV miniseries.
December 7, 2012
''You don't care about me, all you ever wanted was my sister!''

Matthew Goode: Charles Ryder

Was expecting to be either really disappointed or really impressed. Thankfully with Brideshead Revisited it results in the latter of the two.

Wonderfully it begins where it ends and we experience this wonderful life of a certain man, Charles Ryder and his entanglement with the Flyte Family.
The times and era is displayed perfectively throughout the film and it provides bedazzlement and awe throughout.

''I want to look back and say that I didn't turn my back, that I was happy.''

There are some beautiful locations and costumes on offer in Brideshead, not to mention stunning locations which include Morocco and Venice. In fact the only thing that matches the quality of the scenery is the music and respective array of casting.

We have some fine performances on offer here.
Matthew Goode is Charles Ryder, and he's a handsome, artistic, talented young man who wants to become a painter. Goode's acting is a bold effort that succeeds in being both believable and effective. With more power comes the lust for more and this is conveyed wonderfully as the drama unfolds.
Hayley Atwell as Julia Flyte again shows a penchant for Period films since her recent Duchess days and shows us a new and intriguing period.
Ben Whishaw as Sebastian Flyte also shows he's got a knack for Period dramas, I loved him in Perfume and he was reasonably good in Layer Cake etc...
Whishaw single-handedly kills two birds in one stone, acting as a fresh character who's both homosexual and an alcoholic. A very impressive feat, yet he's not the biggest chain of the story just a vital part of it to begin with.
Other old hands like Emma Thompson & Michael Gambon give quality solid acting performances as you'd expect from these veterans of the screen.

''You banish me from your house, you poison my friendship with both your children...''

There's some nice twists and turns here on offer and some fine complex relationship triangles on display. Ryder's lust for more and what he wants inevitably always ends up backfiring thus leaving us enthralled by the nature of his ambitions and greed.
From an artists opinion there's alot of eye candy here that's equally jaw dropping. Ranging from statues, windows to mosaics and church implements that beg to be drawn and studied.

''What does Charles Ryder really want?''
November 8, 2012
it's not rich and compelling enough, it's rather boring
November 8, 2012
Definitely a classic British period drama, with both the positives and negatives of that labeling. Goode and Whishaw both deliver good performances, although Whishaw is I bit over-the-top effeminate in his portrayal of Sebastien. Emma Thompson is good as a cold, hard matriarch. Just wish there was a little more emotion in this film. It's so very flat and bleak in all of its characters most of the time.
October 29, 2012
Over-simplifies a really complex storyline. Emma Thompson is excellent, though.
September 10, 2012
the classical lady ms Emma Thmompson
½ July 28, 2012
I was quite impressed with this film, it tells the story well considering so much had to be cut out because there is only two hours to fit it all in. The 80s television series is a superior version, but this film is still enjoyable, although the storyline seems to have been changed a little for cinema audiences. This version is well acted, the settings are very similar to those in the series and the costumes are very good. It's a shame that it didn't pull in much of a crowd at the cinema where I saw it, as there is much to like about this film.
June 12, 2012
Decent, if not entirely compelling. It's probably a good novel.
April 27, 2012
kind of has that Atonement feel to it - typical of a period piece - man-of-little-means falls in love with a family of means - intriguing story of a man finding a life for himself in a world he's not meant to be.
½ April 25, 2012
The cinematography, cast/acting quality was fabulous and even the costumes were lovely. However, the music and overall film was slow and boring. The plot, with or without familiarity with the book or mini series, felt incomplete and was predictable. Not as good as I thought it would be.
½ April 25, 2012
Classica comedy-drama britannica: ritmo sostenuto, ambientazioni iper-sciccose, dialoghi quasi aulici, e personaggi con mille complessi (di inferiorità). La tematica centrale è il bigottismo religioso della nobiltà inglese del secolo scorso, ma vengono pure tirate in ballo altre dispute sociali, come le difficoltà degli omosessuali nel sapersi integrare serenamente nella comunità, e gli ostacoli che devono affrontare gli artisti giovani e ambiziosi per congiungersi con le classi alte. Il film vanta di una bellezza decorativa piuttosto ragguardevole, sia nelle location inglesi, sia in quelle italiane: cosmesi infervorata, in alcuni casi, da accademici ma armoniosi riflessi di trasparanze, ed inquadrature mirate a contestualizzare adeguatamente gli attori con i luoghi circostanti; anche i tradizionali motivi musicali suonati al piano, sono deliziosi, raffinati e mai invasivi. Emma Thompson, come sempre, è alquanto elegante ed adatta al ruolo, Hayley Atwell, più boccaccescamente, è una tempesta ormonale anche con abiti castigati e caschetto alla francese (che non amo), mentre, sebbene reciti decentemente, non convince del tutto l'"invecchiamento" decennale di Matthew Goode, che sembra non mostrare mai segni di cambiamento, se non nel finale. C'è anche un sottile filo di retorica che permea certe scene, ma fortunatamente non in maniera molto evidente.
April 8, 2012
This movie was based on a novel. The house looked beautiful. A forbidden love between siblings and a starving artist. Scenery of Venice was nice. Ending wasn't great.
April 7, 2012
This was a stand-out film in terms of production value. The story is all-too-familiar for those who are acquainted with the characters from the PBS series...but the lush production mounted and filmed is worth the trip to the cinema.

Much like last year's Atonement, Brideshead Revisited relies heavily on its countryside palacial scope of its setting. Sumptuous cinematography, costume design and lighting all make for a very beautiful picture.

On the acting side, all are respectable--but it's Emma Thompson who really stands out as the iron-fisted matron of Brideshead. Her disdain oozes with every back-handed compliment or shred of seemingly civil dialogue spoken by her character.

The story of unrequited love-lost is classic and plays out like a typical Merchant Ivory epic--although this technically isn't one.

Definitely worth seeing on the big screen. A solid period piece despite its sad attempt to market it as something more contemporary and along the lines of a cheesy sequel to Cruel Intentions. That it is, most definitely, not. Brideshead Revisited is another period drama offering, this time from Director Julian Jarrold. Having never watched or experienced the series I came into the film from the trailers with a heightened interest of wonderment.

''I want to look back and say that I didn't turn my back, that I was happy.''

We have some fine performances on offer here.

Overall, Brideshead Revisited is one of those films you may ask at the end of it what the point is, So I will ask that. What was the point? Well to me the point is this, and thats the wonderful journey and experience we the audience have just witnessed. It's a blessing to see such characters being brought to life, and it gives me an incentive to read Evelyn Waugh's 1945 Novel.Based on Evelyn Waugh's 1945 classic British novel, Brideshead Revisited is a poignant story of forbidden love and the loss of innocence set in England prior to the Second World War.

2008 is almost drawing to a close and my next film to watch at the cinema was Brideshead Revisited. A film which was a re-working of a TV series and a novel. Both I haven?t seen, so I went into the film with a relatively open mind. Read many negative reviews, commenting on the lack of plot and one which is slightly constrained in it. To be perfectly honest I seemed to have watched a different film entirely to many people. Brideshead Revisited is a brilliant film indeed and wonderfully made.

The film opens up with Charles?s narration, which is the centre of the film. With beautiful opening in World war 2, giving us an indication of what's to come. Perhaps there could have been more emphasises on Charles?s background as a soldier, little more about his personality after everything at Brideshead and him as an older man. Perhaps that could have given us as audience a little more to work with, in terms of adding meaning to his character and working out what kind of a man he is now. I would also like to have seen more build up to his relationship with Sebastian and Julia, giving us time to understand each character better. But for some unknown reason the fact that wasn?t done works and becomes a very enjoyable film.

Acting, In Brideshead Revisited is perhaps one of the strong points of the film. Emma Thompsons excels as lady Marchmain, with enough repression and awkward expressions to create a great performance. Most likely she?ll be considered for an Oscar in January?s nominations and no doubt receive a BAFA nomination this year. Ben Whishaw was absolutely marvellous to watch as Sebastian Flyte, totally different to roles that I have seen him in and hopefully more to come. I hope he gets some kind of recognition at the BAFTAS this year, perhaps a best actor nomination but he?ll probably most likely get unnoticed. Matthew Goode seems to me to be the perfect actor for the role, who is just an absolute delight to watch on screen. I hope to see more of him in future roles. Also worth mentioning Michael Gambon as Lord Marchaim in a supporting role.

The film draws upon class very slightly. As Sebastian?s family draws in the middle class Charles into an awkward world of the Marchmains? Catholic faith. Charles soon learns of the Marchmain?s faith almost eating many of the films up insider, so to speak. Sebastian?s constant drinking is a reflection of strong Catholic upbringing that he and Sister Julia had. The film depicts the downside of faith that can happen, often not depicted in many films
½ April 2, 2012
Very good adaptation. Emma Thompson is excellent as always although playing a character too old for her. Liking Matthew Goode more with each movie!
March 8, 2012
an interesting story set in england and italy during the inter-world-war period. a difficult look at tradition, religion, imposition and dissolution. well-acted by the entire cast, from the dandy dumbledore to the chilly thompson, down to their troubled children and atheistic bad-boy goode. ultimately, it shows how a knee-jerk "progressive" society devoid of moral anchors ends up empty and scattered.
March 7, 2012
Religiosity and Decadence wrapped into one.
February 4, 2012
I haven't read the book or seen the previous TV series, so I can't compare it to those - and maybe that's why my review of the film is more favourable than most of the others. I thought it was well acted and filmed, making a story in which not a lot of action takes place become nevertheless wholly absorbing.
January 23, 2012
Brilliant adaptation . Brilliant cast. Brilliant cinematography. A work of utter genius. Everyone, please go see it so we can discuss the themes of Catholic Absolutism in the Church and in the Family, Class, the crumbling British empire, whether Julia made a good choice etc. LOVED LOVED LOVED this movie. The parallels between the self-righteous Lady Marchmain (played by the BRILLIANT Emma Thompson) and the American religious right are quite enlightening. I loved the book. I loved the mini-series. And this movie does them real justice while looking at Evelyn Waugh's masterpiece through eyes quite different from those of the mini-series 30 years ago.