The Bridge on the River Kwai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bridge on the River Kwai Reviews

November 24, 2016
Great movie! Not as good as Lawrence Of Arabia but.
September 19, 2016
I'll admit that, prior to watching this classic film, I was under the impression that it was simply a movie about building a bridge in the midst of a war. Now I know there is so much more going on than just that. It's actually a film about obsession, duty, pride, and so much more. Alec Guinness does something in The Bridge on the River Kwai that I never expected and it simply amazed me. His character takes such an interesting arc throughout the film, and our opinion of him shifts along with that arc. I was fascinated with how dramatically my emotions about one man could vary so dramatically over the course of a few hours. I, personally, feel the shortcoming of this film is the fact that we leave the POW camp for way too long about two-thirds of the way through the movie. The prisoners and the bridge was the story I was invested in, that was the plot I wanted to see in center focus most of the time. Leaving the camp for a couple brief scenes to setup the ending would have worked, but they completely shift the entire film and try to establish a whole new cast of characters, meanwhile I'm waiting to get back to the guys I cared about. It's not enough to ruin the movie, and knowing the team of commandos adds some extra emotion to the climax, I just didn't know if it was necessary. However, even with some small aspects that discouraged me, The Bridge on the River Kwai is an amazing movie and I can see why it has been highly regarded for so long.
September 2, 2016
Winner of 7 Oscars including Best Picture, "The Bridge on the River Kwai" was a spectacular film! With amazing direction by David Lean (who won Best Director & who later directed the Oscar winning epic, "Lawrence of Arabia"), great acting by Alec Guinness (who won Best Actor), William Holden, & Sessue Hayakawa, an engaging story, & perfect settings, this film truly is one of the greatest of the 20th Century and all time!
½ August 28, 2016
Overlong look at a prisoner of war camp run by Japanese during WWII. Very strong performance by Guinness, even though I found the character to be too by the book making him have no common sense. The situation was a bit difficult to imagine really taking place as well. Still, it had enough going for it to keep your interest for nearly three hours. Decent war time movie.
August 28, 2016
"The Bridge on the River Kwai" is not what generally comes to mind when you think of a WWII epic. Instead of tanks, air raids and gun battles, this film focuses on the Prisoner of War camps where soldiers were forced into labor and unjust punishment. I loved the content of the film but 2 hours and 40 minutes was way too long to tell this story. Everything develops so slowly that it becomes difficult to stay focused. It is celebrated as one of the greatest films of all time but I can't find any reason that this film should have beat "Twelve Angry Men" for the Best Picture and Best Director Oscars. I don't even think that it is as good as "Witness for the Prosecution," another Best Picture nominee from 1957. Still, Alec Guinness puts on an Oscar-winning performance and several of the film's iconic scenes have etched their imprint onto cinema history. I feel nostalgic during the "Colonel Bogey March" sequence, the hot box scene is very raw, and the "What have I done?" concluding scene is excellent. Even though this movie came out 20 years before "Star Wars," it is hard to watch Guinness without thinking about Obi-Wan Kenobi the entire time. Ironically, I believe his Oscar-nominated "Star Wars" performance to be better than his performance in this film. I would even go as far to say that Charles Laughton, Henry Fonda, and Lee J. Cobb were all more deserving of the 1957 Oscar. The acting in this film is good but the scenery, cinematography, and screenplay are what you will remember. "The Bridge on the River Kwai" is a significant part of cinema history but its legacy is tainted by several other films of its era that contain superior acting and dialogue.
½ August 13, 2016
A compelling work engulfed with human nature embellished by a grand design, it's a monumental testament to the condition of war and nationalism. The still frame shots of a cascade of bats darkening the Indian sky, disturbed by the brutality of soldiers. And that's how you feel when it all ends. Lean captures that unabashed pride that inhabits every countrymen, and, in a close up shot on the brilliant Alex Guiness, he captures that horrific gaze, the kind a soldier possesses before uttering "What have I done?". Tragic, suspenseful, and altogether beautifully done, Bridge On The River Kwai feels essential, significant in every way.
July 30, 2016
10 out of 10:

From the great performances to smooth directing, The Bridge on the River Kwai is a WWII classic.
½ July 19, 2016
The entire thing is nearly derailed by the studio-mandated beach sequence in order to force a lady into the testosterone-laden plot. However it recovers with the powerful finale sequence we all know.
½ July 13, 2016
Finally saw this war movie and loved it. The ending was great though I was hoping for a couple characters to survive who didn't. Alec Guinness's character was awesome though I would have thought the Japanese commander would have been more ruthless in actuality.
½ July 5, 2016
Fascinating war drama driven by the study of different characters struggling under the intense pressures of their unfortunate circumstances; epic in scope with a thrilling conclusion, this film shows its age in only the best of ways.
June 11, 2016
Great performances, Alec Guinness was perfect for the role of Nicholson. The finale had me on the edge of my seat, the tension was delightfully unbearable!
½ June 5, 2016
War...madness...madnesses
May 30, 2016
Shortly before Lawrence of Arabia, David Lean made The Bridge on the River Kwai, a well-acted, gorgeously shot film about loyalty and what it means to be a soldier. The bridge metaphor is only one of the film's complex themes.
May 19, 2016
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) ????
D: David Lean. William Holden, William Holden, Sessue Hayakawa, Jack Hawkins, James Donald. Deliciously rollicking action adventure movie about POW camp forced to build bridge and American officer Guinness (under Japanese supervision) who ends up taking charge! Chemistry between Guinness and Hayakawa is probably the best in screen history; ironic denouement is another triumph. This won many Oscars and some have picked this as the best American movie of the 1950s.
May 15, 2016
strong movie with many ideas
½ March 9, 2016
It wouldn't be an overstatement to say this is the greatest and most important war film ever made.
½ March 1, 2016
A sweeping character-driven war epic about how ego and honor gradually erode the lines between ally and foe.
January 15, 2016
85%
Saw this on 15/1/16
A movie that showers complex emotions and questions at the audience only to unsuccessfully answer it all with patriotism rather than sticking on to Col. Nicholson's views. The film is satirical at most times and also proves to be one of the best American films about Non-Americans, yet for the ending, I shall have to stick on to the view of the physician- "Madness".