The Bridges at Toko-Ri - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bridges at Toko-Ri Reviews

March 8, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this suspenseful film, well directed by Mark Robson and with a wonderful cast. The scene in which the plane is trying to bomb the bridges amongst enemy fire reminded me of the boat in Apocalypse Now. The acting, particularly by William Holden, Grace Kelly and Mickey Rooney, is marvelous. Definitely an underrated classic.
December 30, 2015
Probably the best air war movie ever made. A little Hollywood in spots but the acting and emotional power are beyond compare. It's was just too tough for some critics but it presages the issues that would be rampant in Vietnam. Holden's attention to small acting detail without pretension is superb
½ December 3, 2015
Quite good movie. Well made in its era. Featuring on board aircraft carrier, good glimpse. During the Korean War, Mickey Rooney & Earl Holliman are helicopter rescue crew who save fighter pilot William Holden when his plane malfunction and must crash land in sea. Fredric March is the rear admiral of the naval fleet. Charles McGraw is the commander take charge of the fighter planes. The crew got a few days off to go on Japan for rest. Grace Kelly is William's wife and they have 2 young daughters. Mickey is devastated his Japanese girlfriend ditch him for another sailor. He and Earl fight many people and Mickey is caught. Earl came to find William for help. Fredric see potential in William for his skills and responsibility and also he resemble his dead son who died in war. William manage to bail Mickey out. He bring him to find his girlfriend and got in fight again but William quickly pull him out. A deadly mission awaits William. They have to destroy 4 bridges in the mountain area in Korea. After doing photography recon, they plan the mission. William is having cold feet and Charles want him to be focus and honest if he wants out. The mission is a success after 2 rounds of bombing. William jet take a hit and losing fuel, he has to crash land on a clear land. But enemies soon approach. The other jets can only cover for awhile. Mickey and Earl is dispatch to rescue him. Their helicopter takes a hit and Earl is killed. Mickey got down and hand a rifle to William as they hide in the tranches. The enemies attack and kill them both. Fredric question Charles why task William for the secondary bombing mission and he stand by his judgement the mission is successful and given enough ammunition its a go ahead. He is devastated William and others are dead.
December 10, 2014
½ June 15, 2014
life during wartime this time korean war
June 9, 2014
Solid war scenes. Grace Kelly is sadly wasted.
January 1, 2014
One of William Holden's best ~
January 12, 2013
Standout film set in the Korean war and praising the courage of U.S. Navy fliers. In this one, Holden plays a lieutenant who reluctantly leaves his wife and children to go back in service and on a mission that is practically suicidal. With plenty of dramatic backdrop and stunning special effects that make the visuals of the mission quite spectacular, as well as great performances by Holden and the wonderful Kelly as his wife, this film mixes well the drama with the war and even makes the effort not to be too patriotic.
October 24, 2011
World War II veteran William Holden (as Harry Brubaker) isn't sure he wants to return to service as the United States of America battles Communist expansion in Korea; although, Fredric March (as George Tarrant) is very convincing. With the support of glamorous wife Grace Kelly (as Nancy Brubaker) and pal Mickey Rooney (as Mike Forney), Mr. Holden agrees to participate in a dangerous mission -- he will attempt to blow up "The Bridges at Toko-Ri", a Communist stronghold.

Mark Robson directs his starry cast well. The ending is especially exciting, albeit getting there is rather dull. Rooney helps to keep it from getting too boring; and, he helps mend fences with the Japanese. Ms. Kelly punctuates the regal, top-o'-the-line production values; noticeably, she is barely around. Holden's portrayal is a little ambiguous, while Mr. March is very dutiful. March's character should know the answer to his question, "Where do we get such men?" since he has a front row seat.
May 9, 2011
Like 'Kings Of The Sun', which I recently reviewed here, 'The Bridges At Toko-Ri' was another fondly-remembered old movie from my childhood - especially for its stark and startling ending that wowed me the first time I saw it.

Recently, I saw 'Toko-Ri' again for the first time in...yikes, more than 20 years, and I was pleased that not only does it still hold up pretty well, but as with other golden oldies like 'Kings Of The Sun' some aspects have gotten better with age.

True, it has dated in some ways, especially during the sequence with Harry Brubaker (William Holden) meets with his family in Japan early in the film. Some of the drama gets heavy-handed; some of the dialogue sounds too overwrought and unsubtle (in one scene, Fredric March comes across as the most insensitive and depressing bastard on Earth); and some of the delivery is unintentionally hilarious. My favourite example of the latter is when Grace Kelly - sigh - delivers the following line with incredible breathlessness: "OhHarryyoumusttellmeaboutthosebridges!"

Fortunately, though, most of those problems are confined to one small part of the film, and the rest of 'The Bridges At Toko-Ri' is compelling, funny, gripping and moving - especially at the end.

As I mentioned in my review of 'Kings Of The Sun', one of the unexpected benefits of today's CGI is that it truly makes you appreciate great cinematography and special effects from movies in days gone by. A lot of 'Toko-Ri' takes place on a real-life aircraft carrier, and just watching what it was like keeping a ship of that size running smoothly is absorbing in itself. As well, most of the time when we see jets and helicopters flying, they're actual jets and helicopters flying - and while the bridges at Toko-Ri are models, they're very impressive works of art.

In a different context to how Grace said it, it was good to see those bridges again :)
April 29, 2011
Impressive military representation, and crisp imagery from a film made straight after the Korean War ended. The personal stories surrounding the conflict are less impressive, but it does have a very strong and powerful finish.
½ November 7, 2010
A great cast, but a boring war movie. I didn't like it. I'd only recommend seeing this if you really want to see one of the actors in it.
May 30, 2010
A classic flying piece of the Korean War, has surprisingly little propaganda in it for a cold war film.
May 25, 2010
oh william, why are you such a wuss in this? take off your bright yellow life vest immediately upon crash landing or you'll be prime target for the enemy, don't you know?
April 14, 2010
The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954) is a movie I got last year but took my time to watch. You see, last year, I had an infatuation with Grace Kelly, I mean, she was really cool. When I saw a three-pack of her movies I just had to have it. Really, I just wanted it because it had 'The Country Girl' on it, and The Bridges at Toko-Ri was just part of that pack and I didn't make a lot of effort to watch it. So the opportunity came when I hadn't rented a DVD out and I had no choice but to watch this one. War movies really aren't my thing, unless they are set in World War I or II and they have a lot of romance in them. Toko-Ri was not that exciting to start with, and I kept fidgeting and trying to find other things to do. But I stuck to it, and by the end I was satisfied. Grace Kelly wasn't in it a lot, but she stole the show. Every time she came on the screen, she movie look better. I'm not saying that William Holden is a bad actor or anything, but Grace was a delightful addition to the cast and one of the few reasons why I kept watching it. The story follow men fighting in the Korean War, and it was surprising to see Mickey Rooney in it as a temperamental Irish-man. Sometimes it felt like a boring episode of M*A*S*H (yes, I used to watch that program), and other times it just felt like a reason to make a propaganda film about why war's are bad. If you love Grace Kelly, you may just want to skip to all the scenes with her in it, but other wise, just save this for when you're really desperate.
April 5, 2010
Old but pretty damn solid, a must-see for any carrier buff. And there's nothing polished or "correct" about it, this flick was way ahead of it's time (you'll understand if you watch it, trust me).
And yeah, gotta love them old jets :)
½ March 28, 2010
Decent war/drama. William Holden convinces me with his fear of death expresssions. Grace Kelly is as always a wonderful presence, but sadly her part is very small.
½ February 1, 2010
Una pelicula antibelica grandiosa que se toma su tiempo para estudiar a sus personajes y que se atreve a internarse en la psique de su protagonista. Las escenas de accion son tensionantes y el final es realmente sorpresivo. William Holden, Grace Kelly y Mickey Rooney nos entregan unas muy buenas actuaciones y el director Mark Robson demuestra su maestria en el oficio.
November 30, 2009
I love Grace Kelly, but she wasn't really in this movie. Still, she managed to steal the show and was relief from all the boring bits of the movie.