The Bridges at Toko-Ri - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bridges at Toko-Ri Reviews

November 13, 2009
I know this is supposed to be a great film, but it just didn't do anything for me.
½ April 25, 2009
this movie was a bit uneven. by the time the big battle rolls around i was falling asleep! anyway, it surprised me in that it strikes me as an anti-war film. but the way the movie ends it's clear that what's being glorified is the "joe everyman" from jerk water, usa who rises to the occasion and gets the job done. while i may agree with some of the sentiment i didn't care for the packaging here...
March 18, 2009
Not a bad film, but a little melodramatic. What makes this film enjoyable is the realistic war footage and William Holden. I really enjoyed all of the scenes on the aircraft carrier and it's daily workings, and the air combat scenes are fantastic and still hold up today. The scenes with Grace Kelly that are off the carrier are too melodramatic and a bit unrealistic. William Holden is great as always and the ending is really strong.
½ March 15, 2009
This is one of those films that I know is corny and not really a classic, but that I have a soft spot for, mostly because of the pairing of William Holden and Grace Kelly. I actually didn't watch the entire film this time around. I just watched the middle portion of the film with Bill and Grace. I think this is my favorite non-Hitchcock film to watch Grace Kelly, even though I know several of her other films are better.
½ March 15, 2009
The last 15 minutes or so raised this film from below-average to a pretty decent war movie. The ending was taut and the movie provided good insight into the mechanics of life on board an aircraft carrier, but the overt patriotism, the obvious use of models during important scenes, and the woodenness of the characters make this a slightly overrated film in my book.
March 14, 2009
Grace Kelly, seule attraction de ce film (les effets speciaux qu'on vantait sont de nos jours totalement depasses), essaie tant bien que mal de se depatouiller avec le jeu pas loin calamiteux des autres acteurs. Peu de rythme, peu d'intrigue, vraiment faible.
November 22, 2008
this film had to be the Top Gun of the fifties. And of course anything with William Holden and Grace Kelly is awesome!
November 9, 2008
Definitely not all it was cracked up to be. Disappointed.
sanjurosamurai
½ October 29, 2008
this is a great film, but it is one of the saddest films i have ever seen. the end is down right depressing as a family man. much of the film felt average at best, but the actual flying sequences were excellent, raising the overall quality of the film. a classic and must watch.
½ July 10, 2008
The 'Top Gun' of its time, excellent footage!
Un-american ending unusual enough..
July 6, 2008
The film has pretty impressive aerial photography and special effects (for the time), the story is gripping and the acting good and even the ending is atypical for Hollywood. Unfortunately, the long and uneventful Act II totally wrecks the pacing of the film.
Off-topic, there's something oddly familiar in that bomb run through a flak-filled canyon... ;)
½ June 7, 2008
William Holden is fabulous as usual with strong supporting efforts from Mickey Rooney and Grace Kelly.
½ May 27, 2008
A well done film packed with excellent performances from it's cast including William Holden and the beautiful Grace Kelly. Fredric March and Micky Rooney also give good performances as well. I'd certainly recommend this movie not only as a war movie but it's not full of mock heroics and despite it's Oscar winning special effects, it doesn't make that the entire purpose of this movie. It actually explores the feelings of it's characters and how it effects them.

Good Technicolor photography by Loyal Griggs add to the excellence of this film. I loved the opening title music composed by Lyn Murray as well as the aerial sequences.
May 18, 2008
Grace is her usual pretty and sophisticated self! Bill Holden is grand!
March 18, 2008
very bland but good aerial photography
½ March 16, 2008
Pretty much any film that stars Holden as a main character, is one to watch. The perfomances were spot on, Kelly was beautiful as always, and the story was excellent. The Navy footage was awesome as well. if you like war movies, this is a must see.
March 15, 2008
This was the whole movie: *wind gust, *buzz, *more wind gust...

I gotta admit, the first half, I was bored out of my mind; the second half, I was STILL bored out of my mind! I guess aviation films are not my thing. But I try to see the good in every movie, so I would say that William Holden certainly did not disappoint. Now if we just had more talking instead of wind gusts...
½ March 15, 2008
I don't really like war films.
February 18, 2008
Always good. Always overly dramatic.
November 29, 2007
An old fashioned movie, which of course means, yes, a good story, but long and boring. It also has a sad ending. Meh.