Bridget Jones's Diary - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bridget Jones's Diary Reviews

February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 20, 2016
The relatability of Zellweger's character is refreshing, but her acting and the normality of the story will leave all but anglophiles feeling empty.
December 18, 2016
One of the best romantic comedies of all time.
December 17, 2016
I really really like this movie...definatly better than the sequels
½ December 12, 2016
It is an entirely predictable movie, but Bridget Jones's Diary succeeds because it is just so well made. The acting is terrific, the romance is great and the highlights are Zellweger's performance which is fantastic and should have brought her an Oscar and the humor which is really good and it made me laugh a lot. I knew how it would end, but it was still an enjoyable experience as it was so charming and endearing.
December 6, 2016
I know I am not the target audience for the film. It strikes me as aspirational entertainment, so it most likely plays best to people who can see themselves in Bridget Jones in some fashion. I don't. It's junk entertainment, but escapist junk can be a lot of fun ... just not for me in this case. So what did work for me? It was nice to see Hugh Grant playing outside his regular, narrow range, if only slightly. I was fitfully amused by some of it. What didn't work for me? Renée Zellweger is so forced as a British character that I can't help but wonder what was wrong with the idea of a British lead. Colin Firth is fine but doesn't appear to be trying very hard. I didn't exactly dislike it, but I'm fine with missing the sequels.
November 27, 2016
I've seen this movie so many times that I've lost count. Still, I never get bored. It manages to make me laugh every time and it always manages to get me in a better mood. This is a world-class comedy that manages to do what it's supposed to do - make you laugh and keep you entertained.
November 7, 2016
I enjoyed this way to much. Great film to watch
½ November 3, 2016
Watching films like "Bridget Jones's Diary" is like drinking a sweet, fruit-flavored cocktail. It tastes good at first, but after having a few sips it starts to get too sweet for my taste. I liked this movie overall, but there were a lot of cheesy romantic, oh-for-god's-sake moments that cynical part of me just couldn't stand. Renee Zellweger is so damn likable, and quite frankly, perfect as Bridget and I also like Firth and Grant as her main love interests. It had me smile in more than a few scenes and I liked its candid humor. It's a harmless and fun romantic comedy.
October 23, 2016
Relatable to anyone who isn't a perfectionist and has a great sense of humor about inner imperfections.
October 11, 2016
A funny movie which is a total classic in the rom com genre.
October 1, 2016
Un personaggio originale e simpatico fa di questo film una commedia leggera ma apprezzabile, che fa sorridere in molte occasioni ed intrattiene senza problemi.
½ September 26, 2016
I can't tell if this movie is really smart or really dumb.
September 25, 2016
Excellent acting by the Zellweger and the supporting cast with a charming yet still feels suitably adult (not to mention very British) plot.
September 18, 2016
A brilliant and hilarious film! Renee is so funny in this role. I took me years to watch this film and I wish I hadn't waited years to watch it. I only decided to after trailers for Bridget Jones's Baby.
September 10, 2016
Great casting of the main leads (especially with Hugh Grant and Colin Firth) and sporadic moments of humor breathe life into a film that is flatly one-dimensional and uninspired.
August 26, 2016
_REWATCH REVIEW_
I've seen Bridget Jones's Diary last time about 5 or 6 years ago and with the new movie coming next month, I decided to rewatch the first two movies to get ready for the third one and to remind myself of the story. I honestly don't remember the movie being so goddamn frustrating. This movie made me angry so many times throughout that I just wanted to take the character(s) by the neck and strangle them. The characters in this movie are all mostly unlikeable. In the first 40 minutes of the movie, the only character that I actually liked was that of Colin Firth, Mark. I found Daniel (Hugh Grant) to be entirely obnoxious and disgusting, I hated him. I love Hugh Grant as an actor and I love his movies, and while his acting here is great, his character is too much of an asshole. The character of Bridget Jones I found utterly annoying at times. She is entertaining at moments, but most of the time I found myself facepalming and cringeing at how she constantly embarasses herself in public. It's a joke that was funny for the first time, it wasn't funny the other 4 times it happened. My favourite part of the movie has to be the fight between Daniel and Mark because it was amazingly satisfying seeing Mark beat Daniel. There aren't that many romantic parts in this movie, but the intimate moments between Mark and Bridget are actually heartwarming and I like their chemistry a lot. The soundtrack was also great, though at moments I felt that there was just too much non-original music. The acting is great, no complaints there. The movie did have me laughing out loud at times, but there are much better rom-coms (Notting Hill, for an example). All in all, this is not a bad movie, just a very frustrating one with mostly unlikeable characters and jokes that tend to get exhausting as you watch more of it. I would recommend only to fans of the main actors and/or the book this was based on.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Men shouldn't like this film but it's pretty funny although we all know what's going to happen it's still a pretty good chick flick that men can stand (Just).
½ July 10, 2016
This romantic comedy has Renee Zellweger as the lovable, yet train wreck lead that everyone loves because she's so normal. She's overweight, and drinks and smokes too much. Without Zellweger, this movie could not have lasted a weekend in the box office. She makes the film. Rating: 7 / 10