A Brief History of Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Brief History of Time Reviews

August 17, 2015
My favorite filmmaker, Errol Morris, has directed some of the greatest documentaries of all time, and "A Brief History of Time" is no exception. Both a bio pic of Stephen Hawking, and a look at Hawking's mind blowing theories. A must-see for both science fans, and documentary fans.
½ July 31, 2015
almost a bio-pic well it is of sorts
May 9, 2015
Brilliant. Inspiring. Entertaining.
½ April 11, 2015
Pretty old film that finally made it to Blu-ray. A wonderful look at the most seminal work of Stephen Hawking‚(TM)s career. A lot of the complicated concepts and mathematics is glossed over in favor of rhetoric and narration to make it more palatable to less technically-minded audiences.
½ December 31, 2014
Having never read the book the material was all new to me. I thought the theories were interesting but a bit beyond me as to how he arrived at them. I found the biographical parts of the movie much more compelling. It made the case that sometimes the most gifted people are the hardest to motivate. While watching it made me wonder how many other Stephen Hawking's are out there but will never be known because the circumstances didn't line up for them to reach their true potential. Overall a good watch.
½ December 29, 2014
Way too complex for my brain in its current state. Due to its complexity I couldn't really get into this documentary and therefore found it slow and boring
½ November 22, 2014
Stephen Hawking: "Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did the universe have a beginning, and if so, what happened before then? Where did the universe come from, and where is it going?"
½ April 9, 2014
A great documentary but the title is a little misleading as it is more a biopic of Hawking than one which seeks to tell the tale of the Universe. Nevertheless, an informative and moving watch.
April 5, 2014
As a brief refresher before watching this, I skimmed the Wikipedia article about Stephen Hawking just to see where his life was in 1992 when this was shot. Little did I know that this movie is practically a filmed wiki article, with Hawking's theories paid brief attention compared to the elongated biography. The special features revealed that the person who bought the film rights to the book had no idea what to do with them, and although Morris films Hawking with clear compassion, I believe it.
½ March 28, 2014
Combining Errol Morris with Stephen Hawking feels like a no brainer, and the documentary is quite interesting. My biggest issue is just how straight forward and overall short it is. I could have easily spent another 40 minutes with this film. I now want to read the book it shares a name with. Good movie, but it could have done more.
March 21, 2014
Come on..if u don't watch this, then don't talk to me!
½ August 29, 2011
Errol Morris, one of the most notorious documentary filmmakers of our time (so much so that he made Werner Herzog eat his own shoe), makes a convincingly heartfelt reflection on the life of physicist Stephen Hawking, known for falling in love with black holes and their theoretical workings...and for doing all of this work while unable to use a good part of his body.

Unlike documentaries prior to his time, Morris was (and is still known) for adding a filmic quality to his case studies. You get these trademark cuts to black that transition in between takes of an interview, examples of abstract theories, and making a cohesive plot out of what appears to be at first an indulgence in cin√ (C)ma v√ (C)rit√ (C). With this, he not only made his films much more tolerable and relatable, he also managed to influence future documentarians to do the same. This is no exception. It simply hooks you into the life of Hawking, first with one of this trademark questions detailing the quest of theoretical physics and then with his mother pretty much considering him a miracle child due to him being worn during the London air raids.

Yeah, I'm most likely gonna watch Morris' other works. "The Thin Blue Line," "Vernon, Florida," that film about pet cemeteries, that other film about Robert McNamara...

He makes documentaries fun! Unlike Terry friggin' Zwigoff...
½ July 21, 2010
Errol Morris dresse le portrait de Stephen Hawking et de ses th√©ories √† sa mani√®re. Comme dans Fog of War plus tard, l'objectivit√© de Morris est mise √† mal par la fascination du cin√©aste envers son sujet. Il n'en demeure pas moins que Morris laisse Hawking s'exprimer et se d√©peindre lui-m√™me, laissant ainsi place autant √† son g√©nie qu'√† son ego surdimensionn√© (n'h√©sitant pas √† se comparer √† Galil√©e, Isaac Newton ou Einstein). C√īt√© r√©alisation Morris reste brillant mais manque cruellement d'illustrations, et la musique de Philip Glass ne fait pas tout. Le documentaire est aussi un peu trop c√©r√©bral parfois mais se veut quand m√™me (et y arrive souvent) une "vulgarisation" des th√©ories de Hawking, du Big Bang et des trous noirs. Un peu trop froid peut-√™tre et un peu en-dessous de ce qu'on peut s'attendre de la part du cin√©aste pour r√©ellement convaincre.
May 1, 2010
the greatest mind of our time
½ April 29, 2010
Stirring personal portrait and fascinating (and accessible) scientific discussion, with equal weight given to both of these aspects of Hawking‚??s remarkable life‚?¶ the irony of his predicament is almost cruel insofar as his illness is what pushed him in the direction of greatness and immortality; the honesty and humor he displays is really quite moving (with another genius ‚?? Philip Glass ‚?? helping in this department by lending his magical musical touch to this production)
½ March 26, 2010
not only is the subject matter amazing, the man is a fucking genius. i wished this doc would never end (so that i'd have all the answers to the universe).
½ March 16, 2010
The film should perhaps have focused more on Hawkings' theories rather than his person, but it's nevertheless interesting and makes a layperson such as myself want to read more about things like gravitational singularities and Bekenstein-Hawking radiation, which can only be a good thing. Funny quote: "Roger Penrose phoned up on my birthday. He was very excited and went on for so long that my birthday dinner got quite cold. It was a great pity because it was goose, which I am very fond of."
February 16, 2010
84 minutes too long. Uninspiring, and very boring, Stephen Hawking misleads the audiences into watching his biopic instead of what could have been an educational experience for students. Good thing I watched this for free.
½ December 13, 2009
saw this the first time when I was a freshman in high school. only Errol Morris could captivate a short attention span age group and make them captivated about physics