Bright Eyes Reviews

• Jul 25, 2019

Cloying, maudlin, trained to act and respond like a rat in a maze, a little girl puts on a personality someone has taught her will please other people and rake in the dough. Then, leave all thinking at the door. Thinking will ruin your enjoyment of this hyperbolic oh-pity-me act and bring its sentimental saccharine sweetness to a just and rewarding end. You can't blame a 6 year old for this imitation of a plot -- the writers, in their attempts to pull on every heart string imaginable, and some they couldn't quite find, leave us with a mess of a plot, unrealistic situations, and childish belief systems that fit well with the Lollipop theme and sea adventure. Movie is saved only by bratty Jane Withers, who you're pulling for from the very beginning. Now if she could only get rid of her obnoxious parents...

• Jan 27, 2019

The best movie song ever sung: On the Good Ship Lollipop!

The best movie song ever sung: On the Good Ship Lollipop!

• Jun 15, 2014

This movie is amazing!!!! I loved it and I hope you do to because it's my all time favorite!!!!!

• Mar 12, 2014

This is the first Shirley Temple movie that I have actually taken the time to view in its entirety, but I was surprisingly unimpressed. Shirley may be cute at times, but it really wears off quickly to the point where she becomes annoying. (First and only viewing - 3/12/2014)

• Feb 25, 2014

Bright Eyes is my favorite of the Shirley Temple films. Jane Withers as Joy is really what gives this movie five stars! I don't know if there are many children who play the spoiled, rotten, brat as well as she did in this film. She is a character you just love to hate! Shirley is good too of course as her usual sweet self...

• Aug 31, 2013

Bright Eyes is a cute film. It is about an orphaned girl is taken in by a snobbish family at the insistence of their rich, crotchety uncle, even as her devoted aviator godfather fights for custody. Shirley Temple and Jane Withers give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. David Butler did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and humor. Bright Eyes is a must see.

• Jul 07, 2013

It tears me up every time I see it!

It tears me up every time I see it!

• Jun 24, 2013

Though sometimes too overtly sentimental, syrupy and yes, child abusive, Bright Eyes is a cute Shirley Temple vehicle where she must decide between a loving aviator Godfather, or a kindly old man when her Mother is killed. There;s some scenes in there that make you say WTF? (especially at the very beginning and at the very end), and Shirley does take time out to sing "On The Good Ship Lollpop", so not all is lost.

• Jun 01, 2013

one of the better early shirley vehicles

one of the better early shirley vehicles

• Jan 31, 2013

A cute and predictable affair which Temple shines in, and her ability to act is no mistake, yes, but the antagonist, little Jane Withers, is the best child actress on view here. But no doubt, Shirley owns the picture. James Dunn also is wonderful in this. Withers is untamed, spoiled and generally, a little brat. Classic little madam.