A Bright Shining Lie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bright Shining Lie Reviews

June 20, 2016
where have all the flowers gone?
½ November 21, 2011
"It is not true that we are here to solve problems, sir. WE are the problem."
December 23, 2010
A BRIGHT SHINING LIE (1998)
½ November 9, 2010
Interesting HBO movie based on the experiences of John Vann soldier, and military advisor, during the Vietnam conflict. A revealing story of cover-ups, and mistakes that are ultimately revealed about all wars. Decently done.
October 27, 2009
I didn't like the film too much because I'm kind of anti-war and this film does glorify war... which it shouldn't. However, the lead actor was good and this helped the film along. I didn't know anything about the Vietnam war, and this film was as informative as it was entertaining. More films should be like it in that way.
½ July 11, 2009
For a movie about war, it's really boring. Bill paxton gives a good performance, as does the majority of the cast but this isn't a very outstanding film merely a merdiocre one.
½ December 31, 2008
The book was better, lame and trite as that is but fuck you as no one has actually seen this movie, despite bill paxton, who is decent but obviously just worked on this for under a month for a decent paycheck. He gapes and gaws, but ultimately we're left with something that obviously subscribes to a single view of the Vietnam War while paying lip service to the Vann's view in a whole WHO CAN SAY OBVIOUSLY NOT THE SCRIPT WRITER FURP FURP
November 21, 2008
Worst Vietnam war movie ever!!!! The New York post says: "more powerful than Apocalypse Now" Thats totaly bullshit!!! the person who said that most have been nuts.
October 30, 2008
exposing the causes of failure in Vietnam, this movie lacks in drama but still good
August 25, 2008
What happened in the movie is what happens in reality. People mix their own feelings with the facts of the matter. People wanted the war to continue because of selfish interests. I guess the soldier made his point and made up for what he lost in teh family.
½ July 8, 2008
Review will be written when/if re-watched (Probability: Zero).

First viewing: 21.02.1999
June 13, 2008
Read Neil Sheehan's terrific book first because it's the real deal: explore the impact of American propaganda & myth making and their subsequent effect on US foreign policy during the Cold War
May 31, 2008
Entertaining in war flick. Paxton is good as always.
April 10, 2008
Obama, McCain, or Clinton are likely to be terrible presidents just like this film is probably going to be a piece of crap as well.
March 21, 2008
I did not really like this movie.
½ February 8, 2008
I barely remember this one, but I liked it because Paxton was in it.
½ November 1, 2007
Having read the other reviews of this movie, I guess I'd have to defer to those who read the book this is based on and those who actually served in Vietnam as to its historical accuracy. As to the movie itself, though, I was pleasantly surprised. Generally, even the best made-for-cable movies fall just a bit flat, but this one didn't at all. More importantly, it opened my eyes to another perspective to the war that I've not seen in any other Vietnam film. For my generation, we only really know the war through movies, and generally that image is of the quagmire, of no one knowing what the hell was going on. This is the first that I'd seen where victory seemed attainable. More importantly, it stirred debate as to how the lessons learned in Vietnam apply to our current situation in the war on terror. The depiction of John Paul Vann was excellent. This was an imperfect man fighting an imperfect war. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to get a different perspective on the conflict.
September 29, 2007
Excellent biopic about John Vann, the man who saw ealry on what was needed to win the war in Vietnam. Excellent portrait of the man.
½ June 18, 2007
Naturally the book was better, but the story is a great metaphor for the Vietnam war. Definitely worth seeing, especially for anyone interested in the Vietnam war era history.
February 15, 2007