Bright Star - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bright Star Reviews

June 10, 2013
Literalmente, arte em sua essência. O que são os poemas desse filme?
May 26, 2013
Despite the appealing visual concept, the story was moving too slow that made me feel nothing but boredom. Maybe I'll try to watch it again if I have nothing else to kill the time.
½ May 24, 2013
One of the most poetically romantic films to come along in quite some time! The cast and crew are flawless and create an era in life when love was raw and simplistic. Jane Campions very best!
½ May 2, 2013
This falls into the category of period films that I don't like. Nothing to jump out to make me want to love it but with acting that is hard to criticize. I suppose if you like this sort of thing..
½ May 1, 2013
Poética e intensa esta visão sobre o romance de John Keats e Fanny Brawne :)
May 1, 2013
it should have won an oscar for the bluebell scene alone. great costumes too. Abie Cornish held the film well.
½ April 19, 2013
"A poem needs understanding through the senses. The point of diving into a lake is not immediately to swim to the shore but to be in the lake, to luxuriate in the sensation of water. You do not work the lake out, it is a experience beyond thought. Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept the mystery."

Each scene, every word uttered by the characters was so beautifully and often wittily crafted that I couldn't help but wish I lived in such a lush world, full of idealism and love of literature. John Keats, the most intensely romantic of the Romantic poets (although Shelley and Lord Byron did their best) could not have received a fairer treatment, plus he was superbly acted by Ben Whislaw; I fell in love with the entire cast. This film lives up to its potential, and if you know anything about the life of Keats, you realize that it is a Titanic sort of plot, because the ship must go down.
"Bright Star" maybe is Jane Campion's least graphic film, but it's also one of her most passionate!
April 12, 2013
Deeply moving, emotional, poetic!
March 12, 2013
A modest, gentle love story with lovely performances a bittersweet ending.
½ March 3, 2013
A powerful, deeply emotional film that made me want to read more by Keats and will lead me to forever associate Ben Whishaw with the frail, romantic great of English poetry.
February 16, 2013
This was a beautiful and touching movie of the love of poet John keats and Fanny Brawne. Bittersweet in that John died so young and Fanny never gave up her love for him even after his death. Beautiful scenery was poetic in and of itself.
½ February 10, 2013
This film is so much more than your usual romantic, period drama fare. It is a beautiful film that is both elegant and subtle.
February 3, 2013
Every scene is a work of art!! Holds rank as one of my all time faves!!
February 1, 2013
Behind every great man is a strong woman. I'd been waiting to see this and it was sooo good. Totally what I had expected. This is an excellent historical drama/romance. It was stunning to get a glimpse at Keats passion for life, for writing, and to see how he was not only driven by these passions, but by his love for Fanny. The forbidden love is bittersweet, and Fanny sacrifices everything for him. The ending where he goes to Italy too late is so sad it made me cry. I liked this even better than The Accompanist.
½ January 27, 2013
Très beau, trèèèèèès romantique! (trop?)
½ January 24, 2013
Was OK but not enough story. Ben Whishaw & Abbie Cornish fantastic together.
January 18, 2013
My God..there's nothing bad in this movie. Beautifully well done.
½ January 9, 2013
Campion gives a grand effort and I applaud her for not downplaying the influential role of Fanny Brawne had upon the brilliance of John Keats (his poems to the audiences aid and benefit are quoted extensively throughout the film) during the early 19th century, but the pacing and dramatic jumps in time as a film are difficult to recover from.
December 30, 2012
My listing of pluses and minuses. Well... mostly minuses. Please do keep in mind when reading my film review that although I am by no means an expert, I do read Keats and I was looking forward to seeing this film.
- overly slow paced and interesting story made bland and uninteresting
- Storytelling does not flow anywere, it is cumbersome at best.
- very small scaled and easy to guess what happens
- acting is rather passionless and storytelling semiromantic at best: but lo and behold yet this is supposed to be Keats!
- No threads of the story are followed, but cut short!
- Characters without depth!
- Has one or two original lines, otherwise the lines are hollow and purposeless, except for Keats' poetry of course.
- there is too little of poetry in a story depicting Keats
- lack of drama, its too superficial and clinical
- No soundtrack, that does not in my opinion unfortunately work with this film
- Filmed on location in Great Britain and Rome? Yet Where is the Italian landscape?
+ soft and balanced, carefully considered colours and shadows, combined with wardrobe, well filmed, sympathetic actors.. but thats about it.

After being interested in this movie, I felt it had done a disservice to Keats by becoming uninteresting, slow paced, small and passionless, semiromantic, hollow film lacking drama and poetry, its only bright side being its few short read poems and skilled filming.
And no, you did not misread my rating of one star. It is not bright. Think perchance I shall pertain to Mr. Keats' poem book in my bookshelf.
December 16, 2012
Beatiful and elegant film about Fanny Brawne and her love one, John Keats.