Bright Young Things - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bright Young Things Reviews

June 19, 2011
Stephen Fry perfectly captures England and the decadent partying lifestyle that the young generation enjoy. Wild parties, plenty of drinking and cocaine (a.k.a. naughty salt), and the hapless hero's on again off again engagement to the girl of his dreams all revolving on money. Adam Symes's fortunes go up and down since his novel, on which is career and future is based, is confiscated at customs.

Jim Broadbent gives the most colorful performance as the drunken major who is entrusted with 1000 pounds of Symes's so he can bet it on a long shot at a horse race. Stephen Campbell Moore, himself a lookalike of a young George VI, does well as Adam.

Though Waugh's novel was set in 1930, it showed that he predicted the next war Britain would have to go through--the movie makes it clear that it's World War II. One of the best novel-based movies I've seen in a long time.
March 22, 2011
Stephen Fry making his directorial debut by adapting Evelyn Waugh's 1930 novel Vile Bodies, about fashion-obsessed British socialites, sounds like a fabulous idea. And there are times when Fry expertly keeps things popping, particularly when aspiring novelist Adam (Stephen Campbell Moore) fights to keep his beloved fiancee, Nina (Emily Mortimer, enchanting). Her father (the great Peter O'Toole) doesn't find Adam to be good enough for her, and it doesn't help that Adam takes a writing gig for a tabloid mogul (Dan Aykroyd). But Fry runs out of gas way too quickly, so that when he finally does nail Waugh's dark tone, which shines a light on a flapper (Fenella Woolgar) and a suicidal writer (James McAvoy) we could care less. There's no kick to this one.
March 20, 2011
"Bright, young people. That's what they call you. Well, I guess one of out three isn't bad."
February 5, 2011
Airy-fairy dross that lacks substance.
½ December 22, 2010
Good but the ending (completely different from the book) brings it down a bit.
December 20, 2010
its positively shy making
½ December 20, 2010
Excellent adaption of Vile Bodies. Modern comedies could learn a lot from this movie. Laugh out loud hilarious.
October 13, 2010
I disliked this film.
½ October 3, 2010
The farther the narrative moves, the more uninteresting the movie becomes. Better if tuning it much lighter.
September 19, 2010
Absolutely adored this film - lovely atmosphere, great actors, and oh so funny..! Dashing, darling..
½ August 14, 2010
wow.... perfect..i dont think this was the intended outcome but i would love to go back to the thirties... it all seems divine darling
June 21, 2010
I just couldn't bring myself to watch this one. I was really only in it for James McAvoy and there are better movies to appease that addiction.
June 17, 2010
I actually liked it :) It was odd.
½ April 2, 2010
More of a combination of Vile Bodies and Put Out More Flags than an adaptation of the former, and therefore suffering from the tonal inconsistencies of the latter. Still, not a bad film by any means.
½ March 15, 2010
Not bad, amusing, but I just never felt invested in any of the characters besides Adam Symes. Good cast though.
½ February 1, 2010
Brideshead is Waugh's chef d'oeuvre, but Fry's film may be the best adaptation of one of Waugh's works. Mortimer and Campbell Moore are wonderful together, but Sheen and Woolgar are outstanding. O'Toole and Broadbent are icing on the cake.
January 10, 2010
I love Stephen Fry, and I'm also a huge fan of the cast he's pulled together for this film, but it all felt a bit uneven to me. There are some very, very funny moments in here. He knows how to draw upon the pretentious airs of the overly stuffy and overly intellectual to create hilarious dialogue. There are also some very moving scenes, such as the one where our main character starts to tire of his whirlwind life. ("Oh, there are always so many parties!" he laments to his lover.) But all these never QUITE seem to come together in the story. It's a very close call, but in the end it falls just a little flat.
November 29, 2009
nicely done, hollow, unfulfilling
November 26, 2009
The film is very important showing the parallels to the orgy of consumption that happens just before every major conflict and creates hunger for wars. As a university student in the UK, i feel our orgy of drugs, sex and constant clubbing is preempt before a major conflict, in history their is always an acceleration of wealth and consumption before a conflict happens, i can see parallels with modern day cycles.