Brighton Beach Memoirs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brighton Beach Memoirs Reviews

½ November 19, 2014
good coming of age tale, oh yes another one!
December 4, 2013
Such a great classic film about growing up.
½ August 13, 2013
Quelle intÚressante fašon de l' amener. Tous de bons acteurs.
November 27, 2012
Not as good as its pseudo sequel, 'Biloxi Blues', but still entertaining.
½ October 23, 2012
old school fun. I bet the play is great.
September 22, 2012
the fact that he talked to the camera and what was happening around him and he still was thinking about girls just funny
½ April 8, 2012
Love this movie. "Eugene Morris Jerome. How am I ever going to be a Yankee with a name like that?"
½ March 20, 2012
A good flick about a time gone by, tough familiar with tougher problems. It's a New York I want to know, but never will.
June 2, 2011
I remember loving this movie as a kid, and I still love it. I do think Biloxi Blues is better, though. Love Neil Simon,
February 23, 2011
I enjoyed this play with Matthew Broderick in the lead role. Jonathan Silverman didn't deliver at the same level. The movie was good, it could have been a lot better though. Gene Saks was too safe with the characters.
½ November 7, 2010
Hilarious movie, and it paints a good picture of what the Great Depression was really like, and how families in the depression faced multiple problems. I find this movie to be not just funny but somewhat emotional in parts, when characters are facing problems and are arguing with each other. This is a very good adaption of a very good play, I highly recommend it.
August 2, 2010
At times touching, at times funny. But overall, nothing terribly special. Some roles are miscast (especially Jonathan Silverman, who was way too old to play Eugene), but overall an adequate film adaptation.
February 15, 2010
VERY FUNNY MOVIE. VERY GOOD
January 20, 2010
Classic Witty movie!!!!!
½ December 22, 2009
I really like Neil Simon's writing. I've never seen the play that this film is adapted from (or any of the trilogy) but I found this film to be very entertaining, very touching, and funny. However, there were moments that hit a little too close to home in this film, but I think that shows the genius of Simon's writing in creating a very normal family, quirks and all.
I watched this film for free on Hulu, and I'd recommend that you go check it out too! You can't beat free!
½ November 17, 2009
If you're a fan of Neil Simon's then "Brighton Beach Memoirs"(1986) is a must-see. This is a well-made movie with an amazing ensemble cast and witty dialogue that had me laughing out loud. Eugene (Jonathan Silverman), a Jewish teenager, narrates the story of his time as an adolescent, growing up amidst a close-knit Jewish family in 1930s Brooklyn, comprising dad, Jack (Bob Dishy), mom Kate (Blythe Danner), brother Stanley (Brian Dillinger), widowed aunt Blanche (Judith Ivey), and cousins Nora (Lisa Waltz) and Laurie (Stacey Glick). Eugene's dad is a hardworking man who tries to manage the family on his meager income, supplemented by the wages of his older son Stanley who works for a haberdasher/slave driver Mr. Stroheim (Steven Hill). The performances of the ensemble cast, especially the comical antics of the lead performer (Silverman) coupled with the creative dialogue make this an immensely entertaining watch. I loved the way family dynamics were explored in this movie - how Eugene feels like he is being victimized and bullied (being constantly sent to the store by his mother complaining,"I'm always going to the store. When I grow up, that's all I'll be trained to do, go to the store"), how the role of males and females were still very traditional (the women stayed home, whilst the men went out to work), and the close bond between members of this family (Eugene's mom takes in her widowed sister and two daughters even though Jack is a low wage-earner).

The most comical aspects are scenes where the adolescent with raging hormones, as portrayed by Eugene, fantasizes about girls and sex. Upon glimpsing his first picture of a naked woman (a French woman at that), Eugene exults: "I have seen the Golden Palace Of The Himalayas. Puberty is OVER! Onward and upward!" Balanced against these comic moments are more somber ones such as when Eugene's 16-year-old cousin Nora decides to forge her own path in life or when Eugene's older brother Stanley has to deal with the repercussions of wrong choices. With its cast of eccentric characters, the irreverent writing and amazing acting, this is a heartwarming, funny and poignant movie. A must-watch!
October 31, 2009
watched it all the time on hbo when it was, loved it
October 11, 2009
Jonathan Silverman was great in this role. Pretty good little comedy/drama/coming of age flick.
½ October 7, 2009
The great one to see and chat about parparme@yahoo
October 7, 2009
love the play
the movie is very good as well
the second one, Biloxi Blues Is even better though!!!
Matthew Broderick is a better Eugene then Jonathan Silverman.
but Jonathan Silverman is very good