Bringing Down the House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bringing Down the House Reviews

½ November 6, 2016
Reading the reviews on here, it seems that I'm not the only one who couldn't handle this. Despite there being some genuinely good comic talent in the thing, I congratulate myself for sitting through it. It's not that the performances are bad, it's the writing. In places, it's absolutely diabolical. I mean, the jokes in this wouldn't be out of place in a film from the 1970s! They're outdated, clichéd and more than a little offensive. There are some funny moments, don't get me wrong, but, they're very few and far between, and I couldn't get over my cringe reflex being triggered so often. Sometimes, the cringe reflex is triggered in a good way. Definitely not here. It really left a bitter taste
September 13, 2016
I'm not a big Steve Martin fan but Queen Latifah worked really well with him in this film. It seems a lot of people got turned off the racial jokes but I think it made the movie funnier for me. This is definitely a guilty pleasure for me.
July 20, 2016
This comedy could be offensive to both races, so if your offended by this you don't have a sense of humor. Martin and Latifah shine!
June 2, 2016
A movie that is off the he-z! A cool movie to chill out with!
March 8, 2016
Not a lot to say about this one, but it's pretty damn silly, but likeable in its own unique way. I thought the jokes went somewhat too far, but I loved the unique chemistry between the leads. I thought Steve Martin was good as always, and I thought some of his physical comedy on display was truly funny. Not much else to say...silly plot..some silly funny moments, but overall very average film.
December 16, 2015
Very funny film. Entertaining
October 2, 2015
Great cast, funny too
½ September 10, 2015
Depending on the person, this movie is either hilarious or offensive.
½ June 28, 2015
Nobody looks good here.Where the writers stuck in a 70's flashback.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Actually a quite good comedy with Steve Martin and Eugene Levy and more.. Steve have made a few terrible unfunny ones but he manage well in this one. Story was okey aswell and worth seeing overall.
½ December 16, 2014
Good fun. I quite enjoyed this refreshing comedy. Worth a watch.
September 20, 2014
Funny. Not bad for Martin.
September 5, 2014
While there are offensive jokes on racial stereotypes taking a third of the film's atmosphere, the rest of the space is the enjoyment with a nice cast consisting Steve Martin bringing most of the hilarity and Queen Latifah doing some hilarity whilst representing the resolving heart. Also in the cast is Eugene Levy supporting the duo and Betty White in a minor role enhancing the casting choices.

Also to note is that the film started with a tribute of "You've Got Mail," and started doing a little satirizing for a bit during the exposition. This is sort of a preview of shifting tones that was done during the third branch of the screenplay. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
August 23, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable and charming comedy playing with racial and social stereotypes
June 18, 2014
Ok but Martin can do so much funnier
May 30, 2014
i love this movie its very funny and cute
May 15, 2014
Hilarious and a childhood favorite.
April 27, 2014
Those who hate this film, I can't see why. It's light, funny, and I love the whole pole apart attitude that both Martin and Latifah bring. Think you should all lighten up and look at the fun side.
March 30, 2014
funny stuff martin works well with the queen