Broadway Idiot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Broadway Idiot Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
The biggest revelation is that Billie Joe Armstrong was not always a punk, but a theater kid singing show tunes in family home movies. This doc explores a little of what was going through Green Day's head when they originally made the American Idiot album released in 2004. Naturally, this doc focuses on translating that album to the Broadway stage. The theater production team is shown working on a story to tie the music together, the arrangements, the choreography, and the stage design, then Green Day is brought in to grant their approval. Eventually Billie Joe decides he wants in on the action. He joins the Broadway cast for a short time as his alter ego St. Jimmy, a character that he says is his dark side. A hard rocking behind-the-scenes streaming flick.
½ October 12, 2016
Now I want to see the actual show.
February 19, 2015
An interesting if unoriginal doc focusing on the behind the scenes adaptation and production bringing the landmark American Idiot to Broadway and translating the music for the Great White Way audience. Peeks the interest since the production took up at the former Broadway home of Rent and seeing what they were able to do with the staging in the same space, and also the band being involved in the various stages of production. However the film also acts as a way to bring up awareness for the show since it was only doing average sales and focuses even more on Billie Joe's gradual involvement from backer to start of the production to playing one of the leads shortly after the show started. A little self congratulatory but works as an appetizer wetter to get me to want to see the show.
December 28, 2014
Decent look at the work that goes into creating a play with a killer soundtrack
July 26, 2014
I love the album and the musical. The Album is a story and the song Jesus of Suburbia is a story within its self but the musical adds to the story with new characters.
May 26, 2014
I agree that this documentary was a little superficial, but overall you can't go wrong when it's about an awesome band's awesome record being turned into an awesome stage production.
May 23, 2014
While mildly redundant and somewhat self-aggrandizing, it's also pleasantly heartfelt and works wonders as a powerhouse advertisement for the impressive stage production.
½ May 23, 2014
Not bad, I'll be interested when the movie is going to happen
½ May 20, 2014
An exhilarating rockdoc about how one of the most acclaimed albums of the past 20 years got adapted to Broadway. If you're a fan of Green Day or musicals, I'd check this out.
May 19, 2014
Or... No, that's actually a pretty good name...

For fans of musicals, Green Day, or great documentaries, Broadway Idiot tells the story of Billie Joe Armstrong, the rock star, transforming to Billie Joe Armstrong, the playwright. I've heard many talk about the film as being a PR stunt, but I thought it was great. As a fan of Green Day, especially a fan of their 2004 masterpiece American Idiot, it was fun to watch the process of turning this album into a large scale Broadway musical. It probably won't be interesting to you if you're not into Green Day, but if you are, you have to check this out.
May 14, 2014
To punk purist, Green Day has been considered a sell out Punk Band. And for these purist, a Broadway Play based on their music I am sure confirms that. But it is interesting to see. I confirms that generation that is influencing art in the world today and it isn't the baby boomers.
May 11, 2014
really cool to see where does Billi Joe is actually coming from,those tapes from his childhood were great and then him opening about the days of the underground scene,and how broadway gave him a new sense of direction.those are things that makes the doc worth watching i think.
½ May 9, 2014
I saw it on Showtime and when you consider my lukewarm enthusiasm for the original album and then the overly busy stage production it's kind of amazing how much I liked this film.
½ May 4, 2014
Disappointing documentary about the making of a Broadway musical that plays more as an advertisement for a rather lackluster show.
April 27, 2014
Saw this when it debuted at SXSW this spring, if you're a fan of broadway, or green day, or both it's a definite must see! Delving into the creative process with Billie and the band was an absolute joy to watch, and at times even comedic! I suggest it :)
April 24, 2014
vette docu en vette musical
March 6, 2014
Nothing really too interesting here even as a fan of Green Day.
½ December 10, 2013
Great movie it had a good explanation of why green day wanted 2 put their music as a musical on broadway I really like green day a lot
October 15, 2013
After seeing American Idiot on Broadway back in July 2010, I was very excited to hear that a documentary film was being made about it. This documentary does not disappoint. It captures the excitement and energy of the musical. A lot of great behind the scenes footage and interviews with Green Day and the cast/crew.
October 8, 2013
Once a poser, always a poser. This glorified want-to-be-punk band is now on Broadway... Joe Strummer is spinning in his grave.