Broadway: The Golden Age - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Broadway: The Golden Age Reviews

April 3, 2012
I enjoyed every moment of this film. I only wish it were longer. Full of laughs and historical footage. This film was an endeavor of love and it shows throughout the film! Bravo Rick!
½ April 3, 2012
Very interesting documentary about what Broadway used to be. I really enjoyed the interviews and rare old footage. However, to some degree, it felt like an elegy to a day that we will never see again. Things change. Thats life. it doesn't mean things are worse these days, only different.
April 22, 2011
As a high school student studying theatre and film directing, this movie was surely an educative experience.
March 19, 2011
This magical doc from director Rick McKay is some kind of miracle. McKay grew up in Indiana in the 1960's, far from the glitz of Broadway. By the time McKay got his break as a singer, writer and producer and was able to witness live theatre in New York City, most of the icons of the stage had moved on. So he set out find them. What results is the movie you have before you. McKay logged more than 250 hours of interviews with numerous legends of the stage, and added rich archival footage, including John Raitt in Carousel and Marlon Brando's legendary performance in A Streetcar Named Desire. It's two magical hours of pure brilliance. Towards the end, the legend herself Elaine Stritch scolds McKay and remarks 'For Christ's sake, Rick, don't you have enough?'. No, but what he does have is sooo worth viewing.
July 24, 2010
If you're a fan of Broadway musicals, you have to see this documentary. Rick McKay may not be the best documentary filmmaker ever, but he certainly struck gold when he found a bunch of Broadway legends from the 40s 50s and 60s to talk about the Golden Age of Broadway. This documentary goes over just about everything from how auditions worked to where the hangouts were, you feel like you get a complete history of Broadway in its heyday. This is a documentary meant for the time capsule.
½ September 29, 2009
More a collection of interviews than a cohesive film, but when the subjects are these, who gives a shit? It made me yearn to be a New Yorker in the 1950s - what a life that must have been.
½ January 5, 2009
Angela talks about Mame and Gypsy.
January 26, 2008
The footage of NY in the mid-twentieth century was just fantastic. Strangely structured - seemed to leap about from musicals to drama to a straight chronology to interviews by theme... still, an impressive number of now-dead legends appear to tell tall tales.
jjnxn
½ October 29, 2007
fascinating documentary with an amazing bevy of theatre performers and legends.
October 28, 2007
A living record of an age which unfortunately I will never be able to experience. It is true that Broadway is still with us but it pales in comparison to the stories told in this film about the "golden age".
October 13, 2007
Amazing, fascinating, touching and funny ... thank God for Rick McKay for these priceless interviews! I can hardly wait for the sequels! A must for all actors and theatre lovers.
½ August 28, 2007
An outstanding documentary. Rick McKay was robbed of an Oscar for his outstanding work in recapturing the Golden Age of Broadway.
May 28, 2004
Films between May 21, 2004 - May 24, 2004.