Brokeback Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brokeback Mountain Reviews

January 28, 2016
I was very curious to see Brokeback Mountain, but I was nervous to see it as its the first gay film that I seen that's the whole thing as I actually saw Milk before this, but I don't think I finished it, so it doesn't count. So after watching the film, Brokeback Mountain is an amazing film that got me more invested then I thought was going to be, especially when it's slow paced film. It's about two cowboys who were just looking for a job, and when they work together, they start to have feelings for each other, even though one of them is getting married. I actually had no idea where it was going for the most part, and I like the chemistry between Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger. The main leads are terrific and the late Heath Ledger's performance is the most mature that I've seen him in, at least so far as I seen him in A Knight Tale and The Dark Knight. Michelle Williams is great in it, and while Anne Hathaway is not in it that much, she's really good in it also. The writing by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana is very well written and they really know how to write such complex characters like the main ones. It's beautifully shotted, and I did care about the characters. I'm glad that this movie was made as we don't see that much gay films recently, well, the ones that don't go in wide theaters like this film did that is.
January 27, 2016
I thought it was more shocking, everyone talked about this movie because it shows a homosexual relationship, for me it was a good story, very romantic but sad at the end. I almost cry. Heath Ledger (RIP) and Jake Gyllenhaal did and AMAZING job showing that passion they characters felt in the movie.

The love is the strongest and powerful feeling in the world.
½ January 24, 2016
Good movie nice story line, so true.
½ January 20, 2016
Spanning more than two decades the story isn't exactly compact. And yet, the direction is so seamless and the acting so incredibly good the only issue even the biggest cynic could come up with are some iffy make-up effects. Nuanced and powerful - an astonishing piece of work.
½ January 20, 2016
Very powerful and very moving, "Brokeback Mountain" is a tragic love story with powerful performances by the all star cast. 7.4/10
January 18, 2016
Actually, it's a bit obvious as a movie about homosexuality, but as a movie about love and heartbreak it really shines.
½ January 10, 2016
watched the trailer and it looked fake and gay
January 4, 2016
Brokeback Mountain is powerful in story-line and Performance. Led by Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal who bring to life wonderful characters to a perfection. along with the emotions and powerful dialogue that perfectly blend together to cement this film as one of the best films out there.
December 12, 2015
Impeccably executed at every level. This drama shows what it's about -- inner conflicts as primal and at-the-fore-of-consciousness as loneliness and courage, suppression and how we recede into ourselves -- so clearly that anyone who has felt regret will connect with it, and deeply so because of the performances and that damned score.

"Brokeback Mountain" may be the only romance -- or western, for that matter -- which is seriously liable to inspire people to effect positive change in their lives.
½ December 12, 2015
Brokeback Mountain's breathtaking visuals, heartbreaking story and raw emotional power combine to create a magnificent Western Tale of forbidden passion that everyone can relate to. Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger deliver amazing performances that carry the movie.
½ December 7, 2015
Arguably the most devastating romance to come along in quite some time. Heath Ledger gives one of the great modern performances in this beautifully shot, empathetic and tragic love story. Director Ang Lee realizes, with vivid clarity, novelistic integrity, and dramatic intensity, the idyllic passages of a love newly formed, and then love later thwarted.
December 3, 2015
After putting off seeing this movie when it first came out until it started getting Oscar hype, I am really glad I eventually got to sit down and watch this film. And I cannot count how many times I have recommended this movie to people and get the same old response. "No way man, isn't that about the gay cowboys?" Well, yeah it is, but it is more than just about gay cowboys. I for one am not really a fan of romance films, whether they are between man and women or man and man, it is just not the genre that I find myself watching a lot. In fact it is probably my least favorite genre of them all. I just find the romance genre boring and rather repetitive. Throw in the fact that I am a heterosexual man, who for all intended purposes is very open minded when it comes to this stuff. But throw that all to the side for a moment and take Brokeback Mountain for what it is, a really good movie. Maybe the story is not something that you are fond of, you have to admire the acting, especially by Heath Ledger. Ledger will always be best known for his brilliant portrayal of The Joker in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight and deservedly so, it is one of the best performances ever put on screen. But he is downright amazing in Brokeback Mountain. Just the fact that his delivery and accent are so authentic and he is Australian is quite amazing. Ledger is phenomenal in this movie. Everyone does a great job in this movie. Ang Lee does a good job too of not making it a film about equal rights and social injustice to the gay community, but focuses on the love story that develops between the two main characters in the movie, and not only what it does to them, but how it effects the people in their lives. I never thought that my favorite love story in cinema would be between two men, I never in a million years would have thought that to be the case, but it is. This is a really good movie. Yes, Brokeback Mountain has a slow pace to it, but I was just taken back by the sheer brilliance of Ledger in this film. As big of a Phillip Seymour Hoffman fan as I am, who won the Oscar this year for Best Actor in Capote, I honestly thought Ledger deserved it a little bit more. He was also up against Phoenix for Walk the Line which was another great performance, but I am glad he was at least nominated, and really put him on the map as far as amazing actors is concerned. Not for everyone but I highly recommend this movie. Get over your phobia and watch it for what it is.
November 30, 2015
November 24, 2015
Beyond beautiful on every possible level.
November 14, 2015
If the plot is not about the controversial issue, Brokeback Mountain won't be that beautiful and touching. The forbidden yet pure love depicted is truly sentimental. Of course we can list how great this movie is item by item, but I think this masterpiece should be looked as a whole. One may dislike the subject matter, but no one should deny it's an artistic and beautiful classic. Or at least, respect Heath Ledger please!
½ November 10, 2015
Heart wrenching and powerfully acted. Brokeback mountain is a unique romantic western that imbues feels and respect to homosexuals.
October 21, 2015
Heart wrenching and romantic. The longing of wanting something so desperately you cannot have, the fact that even if two people want the same thing, it cannot always happen....so meaningful. <3
½ October 20, 2015
Even more haunting due to Ledger's untimely demise, "Brokeback Mountain" is an aching portrait of where and with whom in life that your heart truly lies, and how all else remains secondary in comparison. The pain of knowing what you want and being unable to have it is conveyed masterfully.
October 11, 2015
Believe it or not, I cried. A great love story...even if it made me feel uncomfortable at times.
October 9, 2015
Please do your self a favor and watch this movie, I have never cried so much over a movie.