Broken Rainbow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Broken Rainbow Reviews

½ June 4, 2015
Best Documentary Oscar winner in 1985 is a bit dated by today's standards but still historically important.
hunterjt13
½ July 22, 2014
This documentary chronicles the numerous broken treaties that have crushed Native American culture and destroyed their homeland.
First, I guess I have to say that I agree with this film's thesis: the U.S. government has fucked over the Native Americans and we as Americans are complicit in anti-Native injustices. That said, this film sucks. Its presentation of this thesis is bland, repetitive, and maudlin with a repeating song that might as well be a broken record over the broken rainbow.
Overall, agreeing with a film isn't all it takes to make a good film.
½ March 26, 2013
A riveting & ultimately very sad story of the 10,000 American Indians forced to be removed from their land which was inland America.

This Documentary really portrays their connection to the land & how their identity is intertwined with it.

The are amazing people of grace the American Indian & despite their years of persecution they are still full of integrity.

The really shows how cruel the US Government was too them & the hole in the heart it caused to the American Indian.

It was so tragic what the Government did to suck the resource they needed from their land it's a very sad yet touching Documentary.
½ July 31, 2011
Didn't they get enough flak when the Europeans came over. Jeez Louise leave the poor bastards alone.
April 18, 2011
What a great video! I never knew that this happened to these people! The Gov't should correct their wrong doing! Alot of people made money on the backs of these people. This video should be aired for the world to see!!!! Again 5 stars, well done!

Renee from Maryland
August 25, 2010
Big business, the U.S. government and the white man's greed come together in this ethnic cleansing of the Navajo and Hopi native Americans in Arizona. When vast mineral and energy sources are discovered under Indian reservations, a ruthless conspiracy to relocate the Indians gets underway. Their livestock are shot or confiscated by the U.S. government, wire fences are erected to keep them off their own land, and they're coerced into moving into government tract homes with substandard building standards. Big name politicians (Barry Goldwater, John McCain, Morris Udall, etc) line up on the side of corporations to push through laws to facilitate the process. Old people and families who existed in harmony with their land, taking care of their herds of sheep and bothering no one, were forced to give up their way of life and watch as their traditions and culture were ripped away. Broken families, depression, suicide and alcohol/drug problems are the result.

A tragic and sorrowful retelling of yet another black mark on American history. There is no such thing as tolerance and respect for others in this country!
July 9, 2010
Wow. This paints a really bad impression of the white man's greed! It's really a downer.
½ May 29, 2010
I feel like this was an effective documentary, but could have gone on even longer and explored more vantage points. I feel like it was VERY to-the-point with it's intention and thus felt like it was cut a bit short and that all of the thoughts and feelings of the people were not fully expressed. Well, they WERE fully expressed in the sense that you knew exactly how they felt about it all... but I would have loved to go even more into that and maybe take a look at some other aspects surrounding this. But aside from that...

What a heart-breaking event this was. It is truly upsetting how the Native people have been abused- from the very beginning of their interaction with settlers- to this day. Who are we to tell them to move off of land that they have been living on for hundreds of years and make them live a lifestyle they are totally foreign to and do not understand? These people here cannot survive in our kind of lifestyle. They were happy the way they were living and they did not need all of this "white man" stuff to be fullfilled or successful. To put them into our way of living has made them utterly poor and driven them into poverty; it has degraded their spirits and happiness and many have died from literally a "broken heart" over events such as these. Furthermore, the horrendous and insulting things that the U.S. goverment and it's involved members did to the Navajo in this situation were absolutely disgraceful. For example- the brutal killing of all of the Native's livestock (their way of income) as a gesture to show the Natives "they mean business", and other blatantly cruel demonstrations, really inforced the facts of how this situation was treated- which was with absolutely no compromise and no sensitivity or understanding at all of how important anything was, and is, to the Native people of this area. We as a society are truly greedy and distructive and will stop at nothing to get what we want. But if someone tried to relocate and assimilate "us"- it would not happen! We would be outraged and we would protest and we would have our way and we would most likely win- or at least get some kind of compensation. The fact that this kind of abuse and control over Native people is happening is truly devastating. It is so upsetting and one of the biggest disgraces of all time. I truly feel for these people, and when I see our way of life compared to their peaceful way of life- it actually really makes me question the way we live in our society - not that I haven't questioned it before!

This was a documentary that really got to me and even though I knew this kind of stuff has happened, and still happens in some forms these days, it just further drove home the point... wow.
½ March 16, 2009
This is a doc about the forced relocation of Native Americans, just one more group of peoples on America's long list of, "who can we make hate us forever". There is an annoying song throughout this film that accompanies several montage sequences that really got on my nerves.
iLeo
½ December 8, 2008
Oh, I remember this one!!