Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony Reviews

January 15, 2016
Far too self-congratulatory to be of much use as a documentary of what might be an interesting sub culture.
½ December 31, 2015
"Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony" is a documentary dedicated to the adult obsession with the cartoon show, "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic." While many people find the Brony movement to be a bit odd, this documentary humanizes the trend. It's easy to make a blanket judgment that "Bronies are weird" but once you see their faces and hear their stories, it becomes obvious that this is a group of normal people with a common interest. Some of them are weird, but you get that in any group of people. The most important part of the documentary is that we meet individuals and see how their life has a Brony has helped them to find an outlet for their creativity, communicate better with their parents, find a significant other, cope with their Asperger syndrome, etc. I like the geographical approach of this documentary, highlighting Bronies from different countries to emphasize this worldwide phenomenon. One of the most amazing things the this documentary displays is how this group of people live out the morals of the cartoon to make the world a better place. From charitable auctions at conventions to the actors giving their time to visit sick kids, this is a group that has been inspired by the lessons in each episode. The tone of the film is very positive, focusing on the good that this cartoon has done for its fandom instead of the judgment of the outside world. I'm not going to become a Brony myself, but "Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony" has opened my eyes to what this hobby is all about and the good that it can do for our society.
December 12, 2015
As far as my opinion on the show I have no opinion, when my little sister gets me to watch it with her, I'm facebooking on my phone. However as to the message of the doc, it's good. If you're into that stuff and it doesn't hurt anyone else then enjoy it, who am I to judge.
September 23, 2015
I heard people talking about this and they said it was good. No, it isn't. I don't get it and I am glad I don't. But more power to these people if it makes em happy but this isn't an interesting documentary in any way.
July 20, 2015
I'll admit I used to watch mlp, and I've watched at least 100 tv shows and cartoons in my life, I've played video games a lot, have watched many movies, watched YouTube and vines, and love sports especially college basketball, so yeah. :D
February 24, 2015
The documentary is far too tolerant and refuses to look at this from any other direction.
December 28, 2014
Having grown up in a world in which virtually every aspect of living was very gender specific, I could not help but initially find the brony phenomenon a tad unsettling, even though my rational mind told me that as long something was not a destructive force, there really shouldn't be anything wrong with it. But the documentary progressed to illustrate that My Little Pony generally had a very positive effect on its fans. Well, whatever it takes for us to not maim or kill one another senselessly...
December 22, 2014
Pitiful, a documentary about emotionally stunted grown-ass geek who have nothing else to live for but to watch "my little pony" in their own mommies' "wittle" basement.
½ November 13, 2014
I am not a brony, but a friend and I watched this documentary in an attempt to find an answer to the simple question "why?" Well, we got one. The fandom, while I'm not a part of it, is actually quite a fascinating thing to witness. I may not be interested in the show myself, but I now understand why others might be. I also now see just how much they like it, and how much of an impact it has had on the personal lives of millions. It's a very well-constructed documentary with a variety of personalities and a brisk pace. It also makes some interesting film choices, including having animated segments with a pony professor explaining things. I don't usually think of documentaries as fun, but this one was very fun.
½ September 10, 2014
So this documentary does help you understand this strange sub-culture and some of the motivators that people have for following and being fanatics about 'My Little Pony' Though the film didn't get into the actual tv program in too much detail, but really just focused on the fans of the show, the back story of each of these fans helped to tell the story of why this show has become such a big phenomenon and has thousands of fans across the globe.
August 25, 2014
At first I thought it was going to be a film about creepy guys that like watching a cartoon made for little girls, but it's not. You learn about the "Brony" culture and why they have so much love for MLP.
After watching this film, I've gained respect for some of these individuals and the message they stand behind. Very interesting film! '?
August 23, 2014
More than just a movie about fans of my little pony. It feels like a story with issues akin to LGBTQ issues. It touches on bias and stereotypes in a different way.
July 30, 2014
there are A LOT of fedoras here..
½ July 19, 2014
Really well done look at the culture of adults who love the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic cartoon.
½ July 16, 2014
I honestly don't see why so many hated it. It was a heartwarming and charming introduction to the fandom.
July 16, 2014
It glorifies the brony fandom and makes them look like saviours of feminism or some crap like that, and it never counts in the drama that happened during the documentary's production. Only non-glorified part was seeing the autistic Brit, I'm not fucking kidding (and no, that wasn't an insult to autistics or bronies. Autistic people get a lot of crap already.)

Don't even pirate it, it's not worth getting a copyright letter from your ISP.
½ July 13, 2014
It's not as charming as A Brony Tale and the cartoon segments can be a little distracting, but Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony does offer more details about the Brony fandom that I did not know and it's still informative and entertaining enough to please Bronies and people curious to learn more about the Brony phenomenon!
½ July 6, 2014
very good and unbiased documentary charting the emergence of the 'My little pony' fandom. Regardless of your stance on 'bronies' this is a warm and entertaining documentary that brings together creators, actors and fans from all over the world and is well worth watching.
July 3, 2014
Apparently I am late to the party, but until I saw this documentary, I had no idea that people flock, in the thousands, to My Little Pony conventions all over the world to join in fellowship with Brony bretheren. This isn't your MLP of the 80?s or 90?s, however. The (mostly) male followers of the new age of My Little Pony love it for its animation, music, and above all, the overall message of friendship and love in the show. I must admit, I still don't really get it, but maybe I'm just getting too old. I really do appreciate the message and the vibe of these Bronies, however, and I think it's a world worth gawking at through this doc.
July 1, 2014
Some people enjoy My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. Some are male, some are female. My point is, we aren't all bronies; we just enjoy it because IT'S A GOOD SHOW.