Brother Bear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brother Bear Reviews

½ February 10, 2018
A sweet hearted tale about what it means to be a brother.
January 18, 2018
I have always loved this movie. Brother bear is one of the under rated movies that deserve more love.
½ December 20, 2017
HOW IS THIS ROTTEN??? This movie is amazing, the animation is amazing and the story is just great. You get all of these funny characters and heartbreaking moments.You would think you would be rooting for Kenai to become human but you stop once you realize how mouch Coda means to him. Also I have one question: WHY IS THIS ROTTEN AGAIN?????
December 20, 2017
Heartwarming and Charming
November 4, 2017
My thoughts on Brother Bear are for the most part positive because I love a lot of it. I love the beginning and last two scenes, the visuals are very nice, and the antagonist isn't a villain but a really sympathetic and human character. Really, the only thing I didn't like was the journey in the middle but...yeah thats kind of a big problem. The journey is very generic with a tone that is like you lame comedies you can't believe are around. If they changed up that aspect of the story, I probably would have LOVED this movie.
½ September 25, 2017
With amazing animation, decent story, and heart-warming premise, there is no doubt that this film is one of Disneys best of the early 2000s, and it baffles me that this film didn't do as well as it should've.
August 26, 2017
My favourite Disney movie
August 3, 2017
Super funny, entertaining and emotional sometimes, with good characters, songs and amazing animation. It's one of the few good Walt Disney movies in the 2000's

|It's an 7,4 out of 10|
July 29, 2017
One of my favorite Disney films.
½ July 4, 2017
It does send an important message, and adds some decent animation onto its shoulder, but with very thin storytelling and one-dimensional characters, it's one of those profit-keepers by Disney that can't make up for its quality.
June 12, 2017
I wouldn't consider Brother Bear one of the worst animated films Disney has ever made, but I do feel like it's one of the weaker ones.
June 12, 2017
Joaquin Phoenix's and Jeremy Suarez's enthusiastic performances are able to give this movie a lot of charisma, along with its pleasant animation and gentle plot; albeit slightly predicable and generic, Brother Bear is a nice, simple movie to enjoy with its great score and humble character designs.
June 10, 2017
Brother Bear is weakly paced and the ending is a bit too happy, but the entire story is sweet and wonderful and it is filled with very likable characters with the relationship between Kenai and Koda being heartwarming. The film is frequently very touching, but it is also very funny with at times hilarious lines and also often quite dark. The animation and soundtrack are also quite solid. So the film is one of the best and rare legitimately good films from Disney's Second Dark Age and in my opinion it is, out of all Disney movies, their most unjustifiably trashed upon and shamefully underrated.
June 2, 2017
I just don't understand how this movie got a lower rating than the sequel...this movie in my opinion is one of the best underrated films Disney's got to offer
½ June 1, 2017
A fun film that isn't up there with Disney's top work.
May 29, 2017
This movie really teaches the meaning of family and that you don't always need blood to be family. I will definitely be showing any sons I have this movie.
½ May 12, 2017
One of their most underrated.
April 16, 2017
Still stunning, but falls heavily on emotions
April 9, 2017
Brother Bear Review:
Brother bear is a lovely Disney film about a young man who has to really make the transition from being completely childish into adulthood by being transformed into a bear by forces beyond his own control. He must take the time to learn about loss, grieving, anger and everything in between by meeting various animals that all offer a different piece of the story. Along the way, he ends up teaming up with the young and lone bear cub Koda. Together they go through a world of hurt and misunderstanding, to enter into what can only be described as true love that really makes one see what family can really mean to someone big or small. What made this so interesting to watch, was really something about the idea of learning a lesson from a myth. In native American mythologies, the tales that the elders within the community often present to children and sometimes adults to teach them lessons from on how to handle others in society and overall help them gain an understanding of the meaning of life in all of its forms. Usually these myths are presented from the point of view of the trickster, but I can see the idea being presented differently here to show children the same lessons in a different way. There are plenty of other myths that teach the lessons of life and death and the ideas that accompany those things. I think that this movie is so sweet, and looking back it really make me so happy because I was proabably in about 1st or 2nd grade and back then I just saw it as being a fun little movie and a man who gets turned into a bear, like there was some amazing Disney magic behind it when in reality it had an AMAZING message.
April 8, 2017
This movie revolves much around the Indian heritage and belief. Each Indian received there token which the spirits pick out for each individual. Kenai one of three brother received his town as the best of love. To him he did not find it to well suit him but the spirits did pick the best of love for him for a reason. One day his oldest brother Sitka was killed by a bear while saving Kenai and his other brother. When this happened Kenai grew much anger towards his token since it was the best the representation. He grew anger and went after the bear that killed his brother. When he had a confrontation with the bear he ended up killing the bear. When it happened he woke up the spirits. He was able to see his brother Sitka's spirit but Sitka being the eagle of wisdom had other plans for his brother Kenai. He transformed him into the animal Kenai had so much anger towards which was a bear. Now being a bear he saw how the perspective changed from the human view of humans against animals to the struggle animals have against humans, since his only left living brother was out to get the bear who harmed both his brother in his view. But he does not know that the bear spirit is Kenai now. He met a small cub named Koda and grew very close to him. As they went on a retreat he found out that the bear he killed was Koda's mother and that's when he confessed to Koda what had happen, which was not at all easy for Kenai. Kenai learns the love towards animals and see and appreciate what each other has to offer. He was able to experience the other side which he was unable to see before until he was placed in the shoes of the animals itself. This goes well with the Indian spirit religion as they do believe that each living matter and being had a spirit and should be respected. Even those of the animals because they are their ancestors spirits. Each token is given to a person as their strength one just has to find it and that's exactly what Kenai did. The Indian religion revolves much around nature. The movie itself shows nature everywhere and how it looks very untouched as well since harming nature would be harming the spirit as well. This movie is a great representation of the spirits within this religion. Even though there are several kinds of Indians and different forms of worship but all value the spirits. This moving is especially touching because it shows how to love what we cannot understand. I would definitely give it a five star rating, great for children to learn basic life lessons as well.