Brother Bear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brother Bear Reviews

½ May 9, 2018
"Brother Bear" was a film that came out when I was about 13. When you're a teen-aged boy, you sort of want to shun anything cutesy, corny, or Disney, which is something the studio just couldn't seem to fully understand. Maybe they had something with "Tarzan," with its violence and darker-than-usual tone, but they tried continuously with films like "Atlantis: The Lost Empire," and "Treasure Planet" to hit that unhitable demographic.
And I should know. Being a teen-aged boy when those films came out, I just wasn't interested in them. Of course, now that I'm in my 20s and am a full-fledged Disney-holic, I like the shit out of them. I have a similar relationship with "Brother Bear," tentatively one of their last traditionally-animated films to grace the big screen, but I would say that it is definitely one of the studio's weaker films. My like for the film is probably a personal thing, seeing as how I was very disappointed in it when I first saw it. I've kind of come to look past its flaws and revel in the good stuff, of which I think "Brother Bear" has a lot. Let's play a game I like to call The Good, The Bad, and the Boring.
The best thing about the film is its characters. The three brothers are well-developed and their relationship has a charming, somewhat realistic feel. When one of them dies, it's genuinely sad. In fact, the entire first act is really great, in my opinion. Koda is a saving grace of the second act, being funny and pretty damn cute. I love how there's no shoehorned-in love interest, though the sequel made sure to take care of that. Thank God for those Disney cheapquels, right? They make the originals so much better by comparison.
The action scenes are surprisingly effective, and the character animation has a lot of energy and nice detail. I like the opening number, even though it would have sounded better sung by Phil Collins. Yeah, that's right. I like Phil Collins. Deal with it. Also, I think it's trying way too hard to be "Circle of Life."
The songs are catchy, if not nearly as good as Collins's work in "Tarzan," at least admirable. I particularly like "Through My Eyes," a song that (of course) plays over the end credits instead of, I don't know, at an appropriate time in the film or something. Unfortunately, one of them is placed horribly in the film, but more on that later.
Oh, are we up to the bad yet? Ok, I'll talk about it now. After the transformation scene, which is so beautifully done that it gives me chills, the movie relies on slapstick and montages in some really unfortunate ways. As individual moments, I think they work, but structurally, they don't really work to make the plot compelling. I can forgive most of the montages, but when "No way out" or whatever that song is called starts playing over the most emotional and heartbreaking scenes in the film, it's just unforgivable. It kills the moment practically on arrival. It's the one time that actually hearing the dialogue would have made a huge difference, and could have been one of the most dramatically compelling scenes in all of Disney filmdom. But no, the scene just kind of happens, and all too quickly.
And now the biggest problem I have: they get to the salmon run way too quickly. A big part of the story, or at least you would think, is the growing relationship between the two bear characters. But instead, we get a montage, and at the end of it, they're bes fwens. Yay! It disappointed me when I was 13 and it disappoints me now. And yet, the movie still kind of works, not because anything amazing happens after it, but just because nothing overtly bad happens after. Nothing amazingly good though, mind you.
That's kind of what brings me to the boring. The entire audience knows what the big reveal is going to be immediately after we meet Koda. I can't say it kills the second act, but it definitely makes it less interesting. The moose characters aren't really funny, annoying, or much of anything. So one wonders why they are there and why we should care about them. The animation ranges in quality, but never reaches the heights of films that were coming out 5 and 10 years ago, which is kind of confusing. Ultimately, there's enough to like the film, but not enough to love it. It's over before it really starts, which make the experience underwhelming in ways that films like "The Little Mermaid," and "The Lion King," never were.
That might have been the intention of the filmmakers: to make a light and breezy kids' film that everyone will forget the moment they leave the theater. And we'll sell lots of plus bears! But this is Disney, you know? The company that redefined the animated art form, TWICE! The film should have been better, and it certainly could have been, but for what's here, I enjoy it probably more than it deserves.
½ April 20, 2018
I saw this movie at the age of 5 in the cinemas along with my dad. I remembered staring with wide eyes at the big screen and to this day I still do. Rotten Tomatoes doesn't know what it's talking about, This mess of a website gives movies like Peter Rabbit a 62% when in reality it's not. Movies like The Greatest Show man is far better than La La Land could ever dream of. I choose diversity over a generic girl meets boy musical thanks. Honestly loathe this website, IMDb is much better thank you. Just joined to state my opinion. Probably the first and last time yall will see me, Suck it Rotten Tomatoes. Bye.
½ March 19, 2018
This is a Disney film I, for the most part, really enjoyed. The animation is nice, the music (for the most part) is nice, it had a great first arc, it had a good ending, and I love what this movie does with the villain. However, I have one major problem, the main characters journey with the talking animals. Its not terrible or anything but it gets pretty annoying and gives the main character a pretty generic journey. Also, the animals do a lot of modern talk that is REALLY distracting in the world they originally set up in the first part of the film. Thats the one thing I wished worked better. I still enjoyed seeing this movie and I'd be fine seeing it again.
March 18, 2018
This is one of the most underrated Disney films ever. It has great moments, good songs, and a very unique story. I do remember watching this movie a lot as a kid so it does hold a lot of nostalgia for me. The big problem I do have with this movie is it's animation, which at points looks very very bad. With all of that this is an underrated Disney movie that any Disney fan should check out.
February 25, 2018
I do not even remember the movie yet when i think about how i felt as a child while watching this movie, I can not think of anything but amazed. It was the first movie i watched in a cinema and I loved it as a kid. I am going to watch it again and rewrite this comment.
½ February 10, 2018
A sweet hearted tale about what it means to be a brother.
January 18, 2018
I have always loved this movie. Brother bear is one of the under rated movies that deserve more love.
½ December 20, 2017
HOW IS THIS ROTTEN??? This movie is amazing, the animation is amazing and the story is just great. You get all of these funny characters and heartbreaking moments.You would think you would be rooting for Kenai to become human but you stop once you realize how mouch Coda means to him. Also I have one question: WHY IS THIS ROTTEN AGAIN?????
December 20, 2017
Heartwarming and Charming
½ September 25, 2017
With amazing animation, decent story, and heart-warming premise, there is no doubt that this film is one of Disneys best of the early 2000s, and it baffles me that this film didn't do as well as it should've.
August 26, 2017
My favourite Disney movie
August 3, 2017
Super funny, entertaining and emotional sometimes, with good characters, songs and amazing animation. It's one of the few good Walt Disney movies in the 2000's

|It's an 7,4 out of 10|
July 29, 2017
One of my favorite Disney films.
½ July 4, 2017
It does send an important message, and adds some decent animation onto its shoulder, but with very thin storytelling and one-dimensional characters, it's one of those profit-keepers by Disney that can't make up for its quality.
June 12, 2017
I wouldn't consider Brother Bear one of the worst animated films Disney has ever made, but I do feel like it's one of the weaker ones.
June 12, 2017
Joaquin Phoenix's and Jeremy Suarez's enthusiastic performances are able to give this movie a lot of charisma, along with its pleasant animation and gentle plot; albeit slightly predicable and generic, Brother Bear is a nice, simple movie to enjoy with its great score and humble character designs.
June 10, 2017
Brother Bear is weakly paced and the ending is a bit too happy, but the entire story is sweet and wonderful and it is filled with very likable characters with the relationship between Kenai and Koda being heartwarming. The film is frequently very touching, but it is also very funny with at times hilarious lines and also often quite dark. The animation and soundtrack are also quite solid. So the film is one of the best and rare legitimately good films from Disney's Second Dark Age and in my opinion it is, out of all Disney movies, their most unjustifiably trashed upon and shamefully underrated.
June 2, 2017
I just don't understand how this movie got a lower rating than the sequel...this movie in my opinion is one of the best underrated films Disney's got to offer
½ June 1, 2017
A fun film that isn't up there with Disney's top work.
May 29, 2017
This movie really teaches the meaning of family and that you don't always need blood to be family. I will definitely be showing any sons I have this movie.