Brother of Sleep Reviews

• Dec 17, 2010

Visually stunning but indecisive in its narration. The film never really reaches its peak.

• Sep 27, 2009

although a a little uneven at times, this is a very unique and hypnotic film

although a a little uneven at times, this is a very unique and hypnotic film

• Sep 27, 2008

Amazing, extraordinary, unforgettable.

Amazing, extraordinary, unforgettable.

• Sep 08, 2008

"Schlafes Bruder" is one of my most favourite novels and the movie is just as amazing. The actors are intense! It is about Elias, born in a mountain village in the 19th century, which were pretty much isolated from the outside world (hence the inbreed-problem depicted here). Born into this miserable life it is only the singsong of the midwife that convinces him to breathe and live. Although musical education is completely absent there he soon turns out to be a musical genius and is experiencing a painfull transformation which improves his sense of hearing even more. But he's neither given the chance to tap his full potential nor marry his love Elsbeth much due to the misanthropic environment he was born into. Believing that someone who loves must not sleep he dies of sleep deprivation and the consequences of usage of natural drugs such as fly agaric, because he hoped they would keep him awake.

• Sep 06, 2008

Great looking German film, with lovely touches (open incest, WONDERFUL organ music, the set design) and a confused plotline.

• Aug 28, 2008

vilsmaier for president

vilsmaier for president

• May 23, 2008

Impressive movie captured in Montafon valley, with beautiful - intense organ music.

• Dec 02, 2007

Powerful music in this film, a great one.

Powerful music in this film, a great one.

• Nov 07, 2007

Excellent film about the discovery of raw talent in a musical impresario. The small village where hi lives is sceptical of his prowess and the motivation behind such genius. Where did it come from?? The music in this film has to be heard to be believed. Incredible! Such a creepy story about peoples' envy for other's greatness. Loved it!!

• Feb 20, 2004

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for when I asked for recommendations at Rotten Tomatoes - a movie that's special and not that well-known to the broad masses. [b]The Red Violin[/b] was very interesting to watch. It kind of reminded me of [b]Brother Of Sleep[/b], although the stories are very different, but the obsession caused by one instrument is very much the same. Though the movie had its flaws, it ran 130 minutes and it didn't seem to end. I guess I could have done without the story of China, also because the movie was always spoken in the languages of the countries in which the different stories took place. I had subtitles, yes, and if I had studied my Chinese better I should have been able to understand everything, but oh well... :D At least I could sit back when they spoke German for a while. :p But this is definitely a very recommendable story, and I guess it's also underestimated. Thank you to [url="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_view.php?s=&journalid=106035"]funkmaster5[/url] who recommended the movie to me!