Brotherhood of the Wolf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brotherhood of the Wolf Reviews

December 19, 2016
Outstanding movie...!
April 9, 2016
love this movie...Hope somebody gets this for streaming purchase soon
½ March 1, 2016
Hope this one comes to digital soon. Really great movie
½ December 30, 2015
film is a complete mess, worth the watch for the last third really.
December 15, 2015
Two and a half hours long, we were given this by ian B. Described as "a period costume horror martial-arts werewolf movie" on IMDB it has some wacky Special Effects and was surprisingly less boring than one might imagine. The martial arts fight choreography was pretty good: why is it when a group of baddies surround a goodie they tend to attack one at a time instead of rushing him? I did see one of our heroes throw three attackers at once, mind. Based on a historical report it's largely fantasy and with a plot that twists over and over and has inconsistencies and incoherencies. Well made but not to be taken seriously.
December 4, 2015
82%
Saw this on 4/12/15
It may not be as delightfully entertaining as Sleepy Hollow, but still it is well shot and has a few twists here and there that would prove to be in favour of it. The casting is good with now famous actors Monica Bellucci and Vincent Cassel being part of it. On the whole it's a good one time watch that is sadly more forgettable than it is memorable.
August 28, 2015
In 1764 a mysterious beast terrorizes the province of Gévaudan and nearby lands. Grégoire de Fronsac (Samuel Le Bihan), a knight and the royal naturalist of King Louis XV of France, and his Iroquois companion Mani (Mark Dacascos), arrive in Gévaudan to capture the beast. Upon arrival, they rescue Jean Chastel, an aged healer, and his daughter, La Bavarde, from an attack by soldiers. The young and enlightened Thomas, Marquis d'Apcher (Jacques Perrin), befriends them. Fronsac is initially skeptical about the beast's existence, since survivors describe it as much larger than any wolf he has ever seen. However, by studying the bite size on a victim of the beast, he deduces that it must weigh roughly 500 lb (227 kg). Captain Duhamel, an army officer leading the hunt for the beast, has killed dozens of ordinary wolves, but has not come close to the actual killer. While staying in Gévaudan, Fronsac romances Marianne de Morangias (Émilie Dequenne), the daughter of a local count, whose brother, Jean-François (Vincent Cassel), was also an avid hunter and a world traveler, before losing one arm to a lion in Africa. Fronsac is also intrigued by Sylvia (Monica Bellucci), an Italian courtesan at the local brothel. While investigating another victim, Fronsac finds a fang made of steel, and his doubts of the beast's existence increase. Another witness swears that the beast is controlled by a human master. Fronsac studies the patterns of the attacks and victims, trying to find a common thread and reveal a murderer. As the investigation proves to be unfruitful, the king's weapons master, Lord de Beauterne, arrives to put an end to the beast. But instead of doing so, Beauterne kills an ordinary wolf and tells Fronsac to alter the corpse so it resembles the monster accordingly. Fronsac hesitantly does so, and the bogus wolf is sent back to Paris, where it is put on display, much to the pleasure of the king and the French aristocracy. In Paris, the king's advisor shows Fronsac a copy of a book titled L'Édifiante ["The Edifying"] with treasonous theories, stating the beast has come to punish the King of France for his indulgence of the philosophers, and that the modern embrace of science over religion is heresy. Fronsac realizes that the beast is an instrument of a secret society, The Brotherhood of the Wolf, working to undermine public confidence in the king and ultimately take over the country. Fronsac is told that "officially" the beast is dead, warned to keep his mouth shut, and bribed with an appointment to travel to Senegal. Back in Gévaudan, the attacks by the real beast continue. Ignoring his orders, Fronsac returns to Gévaudan, determined to put an end to the beast's killings, and also to take Marianne away. Upon his return, the beast attacks and he sees it with his own eyes. It kills a man, but mysteriously refrains from attacking Marianne...

"Brotherhood of the Wolf" (Le Pacte des loups) is loosely based on a real-life series of killings that took place in France in the 18th century and the famous legend of the Beast of Gévaudan. I saw this stereotypical and formulaic mish mash of genres (horror, martial arts, swashbuckling adventure, historical costume drama) when it came out and of some reason I had forgotten partly what I did think of it back then so I decided to re-see it. And I can say that I simply don´t like this overacted and genre mixed piece of film. Everything is so stretched out and prepared for the MTV hyperkids to go bananas when seeing this technical stylised focused film leaving little left for character developments and a general believable look and feel from the time period. It´s mostly poor and not believable acting from the actors, too much camera technique involved during the movie, a testosterone pumped storyline that makes you lose interest in the progress and a truly silly end fighting scene between de Fronsac and Jean-François is the icing on this puff pastry. Empire gave the film a three star rating out of five stating that "An undeniably handsome creation, but its excessive length and surplus of directorial flourishes merely exacerbate the emptiness of an initially promising plot". The blend of various movie genres such as martial arts, mystery, costume drama and horror attracted certain amounts of criticism. In particular, Peter Travers of Rolling Stone wrote "This new take on horror is more of the bloody same" whereas Stephen hunter of Washington Post said that it is "a mad agglomeration of styles and traditions that ultimately results in nothing so much as a mad agglomeration of styles and traditions." ultimately awarding the film a 0.5/4 score.
½ July 30, 2015
Bit grousome, but the costumes and decorations and all the details were nice. Also, half a star for cool fighting sequences and woah that sword at the end.
The story...uh, missed out some bits as watched the film in French.
June 3, 2015
Good looking all over the place set of genres that jump somewhat unexpectedly from one scene to another but with a scence of fun comedic gore.
½ June 3, 2015
I really like the looks of this. I see two very edgy characters in an Historical film genre. Though based on my research, it is based on the events that was happening during the French Revolution as what they called it the "Beast of Gévaudan". Even so, both of the protagonist are still fictional, but story wise I think they did an impressive job throughout the entire film. One Indian descent from Canada (Marc Dacascus, and a Knight named Grégoire de Fronsac (Samuel Le Bihan) as they were hired by the French government to hunt this enormous beast. I really like the setting, the beautiful landscape and its green pastures. The entire cinematography is fantastic, the costume and production design fits the movie very well.The fight scenes are enjoyable, you can see the simplicity of its choreography yet it is still perfect to me. However, if we talk about French films in general, this would be one of my all time favorites. Perfect action / horror flick. 4.5/5
May 17, 2015
Great movie!!! I love the period and just all around great movie!
April 11, 2015
Well-paced action with an interesting premise. This is one of the best period action movies ever.
½ April 1, 2015
A cool mashup of genres
½ March 20, 2015
September 19, 2014
If you like this genre of film and action, look no further! Very entertaining.
July 2, 2014
Brotherhood of the Wolf is a very long fantasy film that seems to drag on at times but keeps attention with snapping martial artist action. The first fight sequence and the last are definitely the best. The special effects of the creature stand up rather well and it seems to ooze that classic monster movie feel. What's truly great about this film is near the end it changes your perception on the monster so you actually feel bad for it, not a great animal lovers movie but a great fantasy film.
April 20, 2014
One of the sleeper action movies that every true adrenaline film junkie nerds to see.
½ March 27, 2014
"Brotherhood of the Wolf" features excellent sets, costumes and fully fleshed out characters inside a compelling story... except for the ending which goes in all kinds of weird directions and is downright awkward at times. The plot is about a renown hunter (Samuel Le Bihan as Gregoire de Fronsac) and his Native American partner Mani (Mark Dacascos) who are brought to the French countryside to confront the beast of Gevaudan, a huge, wolf-like monster. The movie takes its time to build its cast of characters well, including Mani, who has little dialogue but still feels like an integral and genuine person. There are a lot of interesting little themes and sub-plots that are explored in the film, like the superstition of the little country vs. the logic of the big city. There are some conspiracies and plots that prop up their head when it comes to the beast that is plaguing the countryside and with Mani and Gregoire de Fronsac we even get some exploration/character development on views of what defines a man and what defines a savage and a moderate pro-environment theme as well. There's actually quite a lot going on in the film, particularly when it comes to the whole mystery of what the Beast of Gevaudan actually is (animal? monster? myth?) and there's always something entertaining going on.

Towards the end there are several sequences inexplicably, the movie turns into a martial arts action film. For most of the film, which runs nearly 2 and a half hours we've got a mix of a horror movie, a mystery thriller and a dramatic period piece so it's always throwing you for a loop on what is going to happen next. It's actually unfortunate that the story is such a mash of different styles because depending on which part you are most intrigued in (The mystery/thriller part of the film or the action scenes), at times you will find yourself waiting for your favorite genre to start up again. This really needed an editor to make some strong decisions and to cut back on some of the unnecessary material, if only to reduce the running time, but streamlining the story would have really helped. If you have the time and patience for it, it's an entertaining (if uneven) thriller with many great parts. (Original French language on Dvd, June 15 2012)
½ March 7, 2014
This film so desperately wants to be cool.
½ February 16, 2014
A fascinating, bizarre, and wonderfully stylized film. The only kung-fu sequence I've ever enjoyed. Something about it being set in 18th-century France.