The Brothers Grimm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brothers Grimm Reviews

½ December 11, 2015
It's all fun with the appealing pair and the comical nature when facing the "source" of their fairy tales, to consider this average at a B movie rate. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
August 15, 2015
Atmospheric and gritty with some good performances but not as memorable as one of the brothers fine fairytales.
½ August 12, 2015
The movie feels thoroughly like a project Gilliam did halfheartedly, just to stay in the game.
½ July 22, 2015
For a movie about making stories come to life it feels terribly artificial and unconvincing. Brazil better be a masterpiece because from what I've seen so far Gilliam's directing style is mostly asphyxiating.
½ July 2, 2015
It actually wasn't that bad. It had this old school fantasy vibe to it. And I had fun with it.
June 13, 2015
"I made that armour! It's not magic; it's just shiny."
½ June 12, 2015
Disappointing for a Terry Gilliam film, like loads of others are doing now, this is a mixture of different fairytales rolled into one film, which makes it a bit of a mess to be honest. Matt Damons English accent is impressive though.
½ May 25, 2015
Although the Brothers Grimm is too silly at times, it is at times a playful and entertaining rendition of household fairytales.
½ May 14, 2015
Not as bad as most make it out to be. It's definitely got it's visuals going on for it. Not a whole lot else though.
½ May 9, 2015
Typical Gilliam imagery, fantastical and imaginative, though the same cannot be said for the narrative. Entertaining yet confounding film.
½ May 9, 2015
better then I remember
½ April 28, 2015
Good story. Nicely done. Kept moving.
½ April 9, 2015
The Brothers Grimm is also another movie that my best friend wanted me to watch. The only thing I was worried about is the writer: Ehren Kruger. He's not a good writer and he should've been replaced by Terry Gillian himself. So I tried to get him out of my mind and watch it, but however, he's one of the main reasons why I think it's bad. The writing is just as bad as his other films that he wrote, except for a few movies. The humor is really awkward that I only got a few chuckles out of it. Another reason is that the story is all over the place, and it seems like there's like 7 plots all around the movie that is trying to make it interesting. It did made it a bit interesting however, but it was really distracting to me. There were some nice ideas in there, but wasn't realized about it in the movie. The effects are really good, and there were some that are intentionally creepy and disturbing. Matt Damon and Heath Ledger did a great job in this, and so did he supporting cast. Sadly, the only characters that are mildly interesting, are the Brothers Grimm themselves, but I felt that they didn't really spend a lot of character development on either of the other characters, or a bit of the 2 main characters. I like Terry Gilliam's movies, but The Brothers Grimm is his worst movie that shows that effects don't make a good movie.
½ April 7, 2015
As with any film directed by Terry Gilliam, The Brothers Grimm sounded like another surreal fantasy

With all of its strange fantasy elements and use of visual effects, The Brothers Grimm is very much like Terry Gilliam's later film The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, though this one is significantly more of a narrative driven concept than one which exists primarily for the purpose of showing off visual effects. However, even then there is a very thin narrative in The Brothers Grimm. With such a dull story, The Brothers Grimm largely feels burdened by the narrative as it limits the potential for visual exploration to having to follow such a generic tale. You would hope that there would be area for Terry Gilliam to explore all kinds of mythology in The Brothers Grimm, but in actual fact the narrative is overly simplistic. The Brothers Grimm has a story which never realy goes anywhere, lacking the surreal mystery of his finest pieces or the characters of his most touching works. Instead, this film meets those points somewhere lazily in the middle with thin characters and a severly limited story. Terry Gilliam remains as much of a visual mastermind as ever, but he doesn't break all that much ground in The Brothers Grimm which is surprising as you would think that a dark fairytale story would be right up his alley. Evidently, this is not the case. The story in The Brothers Grimm just seems to go in circles without enough fantastical creativity to justify it, rendering it a slow and repetitive feature which lacks the large scale that a real adventure film demands. It is not a film which is bereft of charm, but there is a high demand for adventure and creativity when Terry Gilliam is involved, when two high profile actors are portraying the leads and when the film costs a whopping $88 million to produce. Unfortunately, the word to describe The Brothers Grimm is overblown. To have that much money and come up with a film with such a dull story is such poor form from Terry Gilliam who is really a talented filmmaker, having done so much more with so much less in the past. I don't know what the difficulties were with The Brothers Grimm, but the problems rest predominantly on the story. The screenplay itself just doe not have the originality that it needs to succeed, nor does it have dialogue with enough humourous quips to leave viewers distracted by fits of laughter. The Brothers Grimm is just not an intelligent film, or all that much of a funny one either.
To be fair, much of the imagery does have its appeal. In capturing a medieval fantasy feeling, The Brothers Grimm capitalizes on scenery, production design and costumes which all make a meaningful contribution to establishing the time period of the film. As well as that, it is all captured with stylish cinematography which uses clever techniques to manipulate the mood of the scenes. This combines well with the visual effects. Though the CGI in The Brothers Grimm may not be groundbreaking, the way that Terry Gilliam makes use of them is interesting. If you know his general sense of style in filmmaking then you might believe that the somewhat artificial nature of the visual effects is to intentionally create a senes of proscenium that reflects the ludicrious nature of a fairytale story which the narrative in The Brothers Grimm clearly makes many references to at times. The visual effects are used to create mythological creatures and play with the viewer's sense of reality while being moderated well enough so that hte film is not excessively reliant on them. I certainly feel that The Brothers Grimm depended too much on imagery and not enough on story, but the CGI in the film is at least spread out enough and moderated with the legitimate scenery and set pieces.
And even though the film is weighed down by a script with such thin characters, the charm of the two lead actors in The Brothers Grimm prove to be one of the finest aspects of the film.
Heath Ledger proves himself to be the most talented actor in the cast of The Brothers Grimm. As the lead in the story, Heath Ledger really reaches out to the fantasy world around him and finds ways to immerse himself in it. He really pushes the limits on his more familiar characters in The Brothers Grimm because he finds a spirited level of flamboyance in the role which Terry Gilliam is really able to capitalise on with the sense of atmosphere in the film. The narrative may not be perfect, but Heath Ledger's solid performance makes a really likable protagonist to have the story move along with. He is so physically engaged in the spirit of the role that he creates a marvellous chemistry with Matt Damon.
Matt Damon's performance in The Brothers Grimm is also a spin on the conventional character he is more accustomed to. Putting him into a narrative where he has to capture a sense of flamboyant English charm, Matt Damon establishes that he has no problem going for that. Matt Damon puts likable and energetic charm into his role in The Brothers Grimm without going over the top but rather finding just the right line to go for. He works very wel under the direction of Terry Gilliam and makes a powerful duo with Heath Ledger, rendering his charms a certain asset to the sporadic success of The Brothers Grimm.

So The Brothers Grimm benefits from the flamboyant and spirited talents of Heath Ledger and Matt Damon as well as the fact that Terry Gilliam maintains his iconic eye for surreal imagery, but the excessively repetitive and uncreative story fails to capitalize on these elements and renders the film a dull, slow and tedious film which lacks the sense of fantasy or adventure that it so desires.
½ March 26, 2015
Terry Gilliam has a visual eye, but the story and characters are severely lacking in this one. Things just sort of happen and you never really know why. It all looks very attractive and gloomy...but it is still sort of a puzzle as to why anything is happening the way it is. I like Gilliam's work for the most part, and I wanted to like this...but I just didn't. Sadly the film just isn't too interesting.
½ March 25, 2015
Underneath everything there's a decent story here with some nice effect work, the problem is from that base the film goes completely off the rails into the realm of "wacky" which doesn't really suit the story well at all. The movie's idea of humor is getting the main characters to run around everywhere in pratfall filled chases. To this end there is a character, Cavaldi, who exists just to chase the brothers around and seems wildly out of place in the movie. The movie's last act piles together a lot of information that was not properly set up and it all just feels too much. This could of been a great movie but sadly it's far from it.
½ March 21, 2015
Nice to look at, but otherwise very silly and uninteresting.
½ March 18, 2015
A fun ride. More than I was actually expecting.
½ March 9, 2015
Aside from the cinematography, every other aspect of this movie is dreadful.
March 7, 2015
Action Packed, Busy, and fun describe this movie. After seeing the previews I was dieing to see this movie. Admitedly I was a little disappointed, but not horribly so. While not loving this movie, I really did like it. It moved fast, had some twists and turns I didn't see coming, and kept me entertained from beginning to end. It is worth renting and watching if you haven't seen it yet.