The Brothers Karamazov - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brothers Karamazov Reviews

½ August 15, 2016
The screen adaptation was slightly adjusted from the novel but great film nonetheless starring the great Yul Brynner, with further great performances by Lee J. Cobb, Maria Maria Schell and William Shatner. 3.9/5
November 28, 2013
Tough to fit the whole novel into a film even if it was three hours. It does have some good moments, but it ultimately falls short of the mark. One of the actresses looks like my niece, Shatner was good and the brothers managed to capture he whole family feel of the book. Other than that, the direction and writing did not do the book justice. Some of the sets were memorable.
½ July 15, 2013
only average acting, somewhat melodramatic, predictable plot
March 5, 2013
Did not think Brynner could do it, but he does it. A great film that is faithful to the written masterpiece. Maria Schell, I adore you, too.
November 20, 2012
Early morning, on vacation, flipping through the channels, come across this on TMC = watching. Okay in reality saw a young William Shatner on screen, was interested in what the movie was
½ July 30, 2012
Having never read the novel off which this was based, I can only review this film on its own merits. It has a solid cast, with a standout performance by Yul Brynner. Richard Basehart as the middle brother, though, is unconvincing. For the length of the film, it really feels like an incomplete affair. It has the suggestion of depth without the evidence of it. Relationships and character motivations are, for the most part, presented as fact rather than actually developed through the narrative. This is really the undoing of the film.
May 11, 2012
"Lunatic, I Loathe You." Yul Brynner is a monster of a man as he battles it out with his equally monstrous father Lee J Cobb, exchanging violent wits as well as crushing gorilla punches. It all has something to do with money, women, and the existence of god and their rivalry will eventually tear down the rest of the family. Shatner plays the young pious Alexey with an incredibly creepy sinister stare of righteousness. Richard Basehart is his atheist opposite and their minor philosophical struggles provide respite when Breyner and Cobb aren't throttling each other. I have no idea if this is a good adaptation of the book cuz I can never get past the first fifty pages of those Russian epic depressed fests, but the movie is long and enjoyably brutal. VF.
½ April 6, 2012
Muito bom, só não entendi a importancia do menino na historia.(Very good, just did not understand the importance of the boy in the story.)
March 14, 2012
The Brothers Karamazov is a mesmerizing film. It is about the tensions that about in the Karamazov family. Yul Brynner and Maria Schell give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Richard Brooks did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. The Brothers Karamazov is a must see.
December 21, 2010
Fine, though not flawless adaptation of Dostoevsky's greatest and final novel. Maria Schell is unforgettable as Grushenka.
July 14, 2010
William Shatner as a young idealistic novice monk..... Need I say more?
July 10, 2010
I read the book a couple of years ago (and didn't really like it), but the movie wasn't much of an improvement on the book. The biggest problem I had with the book was that it was way too slow, and the film had the same problem (with some actors literally speaking slowly). Yul Brynner is fascinating to watch, but that's about the only highlight.
½ March 1, 2010
I suppose that I should enjoy this Dosoevsky classic--great actors.....but, it was boring and I did not finish it.
November 15, 2009
An all-star cast featuring young actors Richard Basehart and William Shatner as well some current screen favorites of the time -- Yul Brynner, Claire Bloom, Maria Schelll. Another member of the cast, towheaded child actor Miko Oscard, I met about 10 years ago in a suburb of Ventura County. This was one of his two best roles: Ilyusha. All the acting in this movie is excellent.
August 31, 2009
The 1958 movie is an affront to Dostoyevsky. Richard Brooks butchered the plot. Instead of a philosophical drama showing the consequences of nihilism: no god, no moral law, everything is permissible. Brooks turned the movie into a childish morality tale about money. Yul Brynner and Claire Bloom held my attention. What's her name as Grushenka was forgettable. Horrible horrible horrible.
½ June 19, 2009
Very well done classic. Everyone should watch this!
½ March 7, 2009
A great film version of Dostoevsky's novel with a very young William Shatner
December 28, 2008
I first saw this movie in my youth and was mesmorised by Yul Brynner's deliverey of yet another regal commanding perfomance as Dimitri. William Shatner pleasantly surprised me as Alexi Karamazov who is a monk & Dimitri's brother, which must of been hard to do consudering how powerful an actor Yul Brynner was. The cast were fantastic at portraying a family who encompass secrets, conscience, murder, honor, love, faith, doubt, innocence,forgiveness, and redemption in 19th Centuary Russia.
A great all time cast & movie you can watch time & time again!
½ November 3, 2008
It is lavish and well made, it has a fine cast and excellent production values but it also bored me, and it is tediously overlong and drawn out.
July 24, 2008
nominated for best picture by NBR