Brown Sugar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brown Sugar Reviews

August 6, 2016
F yes! Love this movie!!
August 3, 2016
Hip Hop did grow-up & mature as did its originating generation. The love affair with it only strengthened with many as it developed over the years like a childhood sweetheart into livelong marriage.
August 22, 2015
Such a great cast. Taye, Sanna. Queen Latifah and Mos Def - not to mention ren and ten the rapping Dalmatians lol
April 7, 2015
Great love story! Back when hip hop was art!
December 31, 2014
surprisingly enjoyable. good character development keeps you pulling for success of the main characters. you laugh, you cry and in the end everything is good.
September 5, 2014
This movie is everything. Love it! My favorite movie hands down.
July 28, 2014
Not great, not bad. I think Sanaa Lathan was in the same movie, except better, with Love and Basketball
½ July 5, 2014
Witty will-they won't-they. Main character reminds me of David Barr lol.
December 10, 2013
Forgot how great this movie is freaking classic movie
November 28, 2013
This movie made me glad to be from New York!!!
½ September 19, 2013
Excellent film that captured drama, romance, and comedy seamlessly.
September 8, 2013
Watching it now....for the 20th time! LOL!!! ??? Love this movie! Pledge Allegiance to the Hip-Hop!
½ June 9, 2013
I loved this movie. Romantic comedy and Hip Hop. This reminds me of a black hip hop version of Sleepless in Seattle.
½ March 16, 2013
As far as romantic comedies. Great. And loved the way it worked in Hip Hop and actual artists of the Hip Hop community. Almost documentary style with those real life interviews
January 4, 2013
good movie. #classic
½ December 17, 2012
Somehow I had never seen this movie before last night and I couldn't believed that I hadn't. It's a very good romantic comedy/drama that will remind you a little of When Harry Met Sally. There is even a scene where Taye Diggs character (Dre) spouts off on the different types of women and which ones are just to date and which ones are to marry, that scene echoes Billy Crystal's similar scene in Harry met Sally. Anyway this film main storyline has childhood friends Dre and Sidney (the gorgeous Sanaa Lathan) flirting around the issue of whether to just remain friends or become something closer. The point becomes moot when Dre ends up marrying hot to trot Reese (played by Nicole Ari Parker, who for once plays the bad girl instead of the usual saint). But Dre and Sidney still are such close friends that he spends more time with her than his own wife which leads to some friction. This being a romantic comedy, you know things will eventually turn out for the better, but getting there is what makes this movie works. A talented cast works wonders including Diggs and Lathan but also Queen Latifah as Sidney's cousin; Mos Def as a singer trying to break into the business, who is helped by Dre; and Parker. But the standout is Sanaa Lathan as Sidney. She manages to make her character seem very real, showing every emotion possible for happiness to sadness and all in between. When she is onscreen, the camera definitely loves her and so will audiences. Did I mention she was drop dead gorgeous. There are only a handful of women or men for that matter that can hold your attention with their acting ability and looks at the same time. I would put Ms Lathan up there with the legendary Elizabeth Taylor in her prime. So I highly recommend this movie, great for couples, great for romance lovers, great for film lovers in general.
Dre: It's when you talk like that, that's what makes me think that you're jealous.
Sidney 'Syd' Shaw: What?
Dre: Yes. Jealous!
Sidney 'Syd' Shaw: [throws a cookie on the table] No wonder you two are married, you're both crazy! Look here, contrary to what you and your wife may think, I don't spend my nights thinkin' about you, okay?
Dre: Shh! Lower the voice.
Sidney 'Syd' Shaw: I got a man who's fine, intelligent, successful, and gives it to me on a very, very regular basis and the s**t is the bomb!
Dre: So! I don't care what -
Sidney 'Syd' Shaw: Dre I need you to be happy for me. I need you to be there for me, just like you asked of me. So - so I can have tea and eat cucumber sandwiches with the crust cut off!
December 13, 2012
I love this movie everyone can relate to this film in their own way
December 12, 2012
it's so romantic !! luv it !! <3
December 7, 2012
One of 2002's most underrated films, Brown Sugar offers more than you'd expect from a conventional romantic comedy.
December 5, 2012
"When did you fall in love with hip- hop?"...LL Cool J 'I need love' off the Bigger and Deffer album but mainly Electric Relaxation OMG- a tribe called quest (I had a thing for Q-tip) it was 1993... I was 8 years old when I fell in love wit hip-hop:)