Brown's Requiem Reviews

• Jul 04, 2015

Pretty faithful adaption. Loses all the luster and uniqueness of Elroy's writing, though.

• Feb 02, 2014

Spiffing adaptation of a book by James Ellroy.

Spiffing adaptation of a book by James Ellroy.

• Jun 26, 2009

The film is a noir to a T, and does a lot of such correctly. A lot of the choices regarding scenery (the motel's golf ball room at the end of the film with squared carpet, Brown's 1950s convertible, etc., all create a setting that's both modern, yet subtly noir stylish. There is no femme fatale, which while not a bad thing, does create a problem. The choice to end the film based around the death of Brown's cousin, who is insignificant and a minor role through the whole film, almost trivializes the entire plot that actually made up the 97 minutes. Sure, it fits the noir genre (the pot of gold that was Fat Dog's golf money does nothing but fund Brown's re-addiction to alcohol), but its not a strong conclusion to the narrative. Pacing wise, the film works well.

• Jun 23, 2008

Well done, and actually keeps true to the seedier aspects of the book. The thing is plagued by being cheap, and trying a little too hard to be a noir. Rooker never looks all that comfortable in front of the camera, but all in all, it's well done. Better then that Black Dahlia piece of shit DePalma made with whats probably 1000X the budget.

• Jun 12, 2008

I didn't even remember I had seen this until I was boredly looking at the ancient tribute page I once made for Kevin Corrigan (which hasn't been updated in about 8 years). Kevin has a small role in this film. I don't remember hating it but I don't remember loving it, either. Basically, the fact that I forgot this movie existed says it all.

• Mar 23, 2008

I don't even know what to say, this is very odd and strange. Maybe if your really bored.

• Mar 06, 2008

The book is WAAAAAAY better. I tried to watch this four times but just couldn't make it.

• Dec 05, 2007

Hasn't cracked the basic problem of transforming the source material into a really compelling slice of cinema.

• Oct 24, 2007

genre gumshoe - perfectly ok. Not as glossy as big budget LA Confidential, but a seedier more natural feel.

• Sep 11, 2007

Based on James Ellroy's first novel, this is stock standard neo-noir, but I remember it being pretty engaging, particularly with Michael Rooker getting a chance to play a grizzled good guy for a change.