Brubaker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brubaker Reviews

½ September 2, 2012
Great Job by Redford
July 23, 2012
Il ne manque qu'un fil rouge a BRUBAKER pour etre un film reellement passionnant. Cette petite chose l'empeche meme d'etre inoubliable, ce qui est dommage, tant l'interpretation (et la fin du film) sont parfaites. STUART ROSENBERG dirige sans genie un film qui ne manque pas sa cible, mais qui manque de cinema. Dommage.
½ June 22, 2012
96%

"You gotta stop digging...because you have been salaryed to run one of the best conceved prisons in the country, sir. Because although Wakefeild is admittedly an imperfect institution, much like America herself, she is none the lessa grand experiment. Goverment of the man, for the man, by the man.-Senator Charles Hite (John McMartin)
June 14, 2012
Gritty, Bleeding-heart prison drama!!
½ May 14, 2012
Brubaker is a prison drama - a little like Shawshank Redemption, but in this one, it is Brubaker that is fighting corruption in prison. It is almost too idealistic, but it is always cool when corruption is stifled.
April 25, 2012
Typical 80's drama felt more like it was made for tv.
February 24, 2012
"Brubaker" is a slow-moving and brutal look at corruption in the prison system. It leaves nothing to the imagination and just didn't make for an enjoyable viewing experience. It is hard to believe that the corruption in this story is based on the events of a real prison but the realization that it is true did not help me to justify the graphic brutality. Unlike "Shawshank," the crimes of the inmates are of no consequence. Instead, this film focuses on the treatment of inmates regardless of crime. Henry Brubaker is an awesome character and Robert Redford acts the role with expertise, particularly through the emotions in his eyes during the final scene; however, great acting can only do so much when you keep falling asleep because it moves at a snail's pace. The real reason to watch this film is for an early appearance by Morgan Freeman. I was legitimately frightened by his unstable state of mind and, though it only lasted for 5 minutes, it was the most worthwhile part of this film. I also enjoyed M. Emmett Walsh's short appearance. The film has its moments of greatness but there are not enough of them to make it worth sitting through the torture of these prisoners.
February 11, 2012
It's no Cool Hand Luke (Rosenberg's earlier film), but Brubaker is still a great prison drama. Depressing as it may be, it's a fact-based story, featuring an umcomprimising idealist played powerfully by Redford. I appreciated the film's willingness to not strain away from the harsh realities involved, and not opting for an overly simplistic and studio-friendly happy ending. Solid performances and direction all around. Of note for film buffs- you'll notice an early appearance by Morgan Freeman (Nicolas Cage also appears as an extra in his first film).

4/5 Stars
½ February 8, 2012
70%. Meaty message of the mass murderous inhumane punitive intolerance opportunistic exploitative corruption of the whole lot of reactionary demogoguers working handinhand with phony leveragers of superficial liberal selection of reforms toward the same genocidal grip of status quo tyranny.
January 15, 2012
Robert Redford. Was pretty good if I recall right. Watched when I was ten.
December 30, 2011
Brubaker is a strong drama and the type of thing Robert Redford does well. Its an inspirational tale of a man who tries to change things for good, but is stopped at every turn by a system that doesn't want change. An allegory of all too many events in human history.
½ November 20, 2011
Good edge rarely seen from Redford
½ August 30, 2011
Henry Brubaker: "I don't see playing politics with the truth."
July 24, 2011
This film upset me in the beginning to where I almost didn't watch it. I don't enjoy men being tortured and assaulted. I stuck through until the end though and I have to say I enjoyed it. Not as much as say, The Shawshank Redemption, but it was still a good film. And I finally understand people that say Brad Pitt looks like a young Robert Redford. Watch this movie and take a good look. He does.
½ July 23, 2011
This movie might suit us too! Try changing the system and get victimized!
One dialogue stands out - " I can compromise on strategy but never principle" - How true :-)
July 14, 2011
Redford's great performance takes an average story onto the next level.
June 7, 2011
hell of a movie....the ending, were hes leaving in the car...made me cry!!!
May 22, 2011
Before Erin Brockovich there was Brubaker. The story of man taking on a cruel and corrupt system, without any wavering compromise.

Robert Redford is as good as ever, with a fine performance. The cast is also stellar, mostly unknowns that don't take away from Redford. Keep an eye out for a small role by Morgan Freeman.

The plot is very good too, and the director of Cool Hand Luke delivers another gritty prison movie with a great story and well rounded characters. Definitely an underrated drama with a some mesmerizing final scenes.
½ May 22, 2011
Brubaker (1980)
Genre:Drama
Posted on 5/18/11 10:23 PM
April 9, 2011
An intense movie based on a true story..a good performance by Redford as usual...pretty good watch overall