Bruiser - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bruiser Reviews

½ November 30, 2012
This is an exceptional movie. It is well-crafted, stylish, and engaging to the very end - indeed, evidence Mr. Romero is not only a versatile director but shows a concern with the human condition as well. This story can be interpreted in many different ways: as revenge narrative - where justice is a dish best served cold - cinema of desperation, art house, apocalyptic, etc. Whatever form it takes it leaves fear, loss, and destruction in its wake. Mr. Romero, moreover, treats his audience to a taste of the familiar: vigilante justice (our protagonist dons a cape for heaven's sake). But what about those other areas of exploration: such as, the drive for self-recognition, the nature of power and corruption, the desire for freedom and individual expression, and ultimately the will to dominate. These themes do not occur at different times or separately from one another; they are deeply intertwined, part of a larger network of being, something that is made of many parts and yet is somehow more than the combination of its parts. The film is flawed in that it romanticizes its subject and distances itself from the general character of human consciousness. It sure as hell is a lot of fun to watch, though. A surefire success.
November 12, 2012
Romero's first film in years is uneven but not without interest.
November 7, 2012
It's not bad... more action and a better developed script and it would have been awesome. Highlight seeing the band "The Misfits' appearing as them self's.
½ September 15, 2012
A rather ingeniously allegorical fairy tale worth telling for Romero who exposes by example the lack of significance or emotional energy not only in most of today's comatose knock-offs, but of today's shallow, vanilla status quo. It's captivating in a delirious sort of way, and very accomplished at making its point.
½ August 26, 2012
Dry and boring. I expected better of Romero.
June 25, 2012
I would love to say that the pros and cons (there are many of both) cancel each other out and leave us with a respectably average movie. But alas, they do not. Bruiser is a mess of a film. Our protagonist is an unlikable and one-dimensional sadsack. The "high-concept" plot ultimately fails on both a cerebral and an emotional level. The acting is mostly bad and the few good performances, such as Peter Stormare's, are hampered by amateurish dialogue and sloppy direction. Even the violence seems subdued and lazy.

Its not all bad though. It is after all a movie directed by George Romero and many of his trademark touches are present. Just like in his "Dead" films Romero demonstrates an ability to look into our mundane routines and find those dangerous and disturbing aspects of our lives that we like to keep hidden. This could've been a really good movie. It just makes me sad that it wasn't.
May 28, 2012
Okay, since this is one of Romero's earlier films, it's okay...it was better than Martin. I can see why he stuck to making zombie movies.
But I'm wondering if how the mask got on and off his face, was something symbolical of the mask we wear for other people each day?
May 6, 2012
I slightly remember a guy with a blank face and watching the clock to see much longer it was until this was over. Very droll and boring affair.
½ April 10, 2012
This is a fun take on the "I'm not going to take this shit anymore, grrrr!" genre. Away from zombies, Romero has made some smart little flicks. This is one of them.
March 31, 2012
Not his best, but an interesting flick none-the-less.
½ December 29, 2011
Romero re-affirms my belief that he's one of the most overrated horror directors in history with this bomb.

Its exceedingly boring, unimaginative and bland. Throw in the Misfits, and you have a total garbage fest. The mask is cool, I have to give it that. A much better version of the Michael Myers mask. But thats pretty much it. Bad script, bad acting, extremely anti-climactic ending, and just totally devoid of creative expression.

A very strange performance from Peter Stormare... Out of character for him, and he clearly was out of his element. The only way I can recommend this is if you're having insomnia problems. This movie should take care of that right away.
½ December 8, 2011

½ October 19, 2011
Decent revenge flick.. Loved seeing The Misfits make an appearance in a movie! The movie was fun to watch but nothing special.
June 20, 2011
Not that great of a movie actually, very boring and unrealistic.
May 13, 2011
This movie was not one of Romero's best pieces, but as a film by its self it delivered the theme fairly clearly; that is, to not let others push you around. it was centered around a clear metaphor, being that Henry, never sticking up for himself and being otherwise unremarkable, has no distinguishing features, or "face," which he can only regain after gaining revenge on those who have wronged him. all in all, I found this a very entertaining and artistically inclined picture.
½ April 30, 2011
Shows what's become of the once great George A Romero
April 17, 2011
A movie with a good idea and good style, but didnt know where to go with it... George A. Romero is a good director, but I think his work is better when he is collaborating with other writers (this is only in recent years, his early original works are really good)... The Misfits (the band) have a weird cameo which is strange and cool at the same time...
March 28, 2011
George Romero stays true to form with another weird tale. While not his best, Bruiser certainly has its moments...and female characters!
February 7, 2011
pathetic.......... not a tall suspensefull
½ February 5, 2011
i like movies that have layers under layers...this is that kind of movie. Romero doesn't get the props he deserves as a film maker, he's the goods.