Bubble Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bubble Boy Reviews

½ September 17, 2016
Bubble Boy(2001)
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Swoosie Kurtz, Marley Shelton, Danny Trejo, John Carroll Lynch, Vernie Troyer, Dave Sheridan, Brian George, Patrick Cranshaw, Stephen Spinella, Ever Carradine, Geoffrey Arend, Matthew McGrory, Bonnie Morgan, Stacy Keibler, and Zach Galifianakis
Directed By: Blair Hayes
I saw a trailer for this film on the DVD of the last movie I rented and it looked like the stupidest thing ever. But then I rented it and when I watched it I was liking this isn't the Corneto trilogy but it's a pretty fun charming comedy.
The film opens up with Jimmy saying he was born without an immune system. He felt happy in his bubbled up until a beautiful girl named Chloe moves next door. She would visit him everyday after school. On her birthday however she wanted Jimmy with her but he was stuck in his bubble. She ends up agreeing to marry her boyfriend Mark and when Jimmy sees the gift she made for him he decides to go too Niagara Falls and stop the wedding.
Everything in the film itself is charming but not really all that funny. The acting is average to say the least it's like watching your best friend do some of the silliest things you know he usually wouldn't do. When I saw this the first time I actually thought to myself you know early 2000s comedy's are a little bit better than the newer ones. Danny Trjo was my favorite part in the film. I'm giving Bubble Boy a three and a half out five.
August 14, 2016
Cute satiric fluff flick making fun of the Travolta movie of the same story, The Graduate, and cult classic Freaks. Lots of fun.
August 12, 2016
Admittedly a bad movie, but some how I have seen it a few times so...??
½ July 3, 2016
Habían muchas partes chistosas, me reí en varios momentos, pero no me llama la atención verla de nuevo, la interpretación de muchos actores me parecieron muy exageradas, puede ser que esa sea la intención pero a mi no me convenció.
May 22, 2016
This was a good comedy with good acting and normal pacing.
November 8, 2015
I would guess that this is the one film which Jake Gyllenhall regrets. I can imagine that, on paper, it looked like his type of film where he can play a sad boy with a unique disease with some funny bits in it however, it was made to be a shallow goofball comedy with a typical hollywood story. Thankfully, he survived this.
½ September 22, 2015
"Bubble Boy" isn't funny. Right there, it's reason enough not to see it. But it's worse than that; it's offensively bad, offensive and devoid of any creativity.
Jimmy (Jake Gyllenhaal, who has thankfully moved on to bigger and better things) lives in a plastic bubble. He was born without an immune system and to protect him from all of the dirt and disease out there in the world, his mother keeps him isolated and permanently sealed in. When Jimmy's crush Chloe (Marley Shelton) informs him that she's moving away to marry her boyfriend, it breaks his heart. Determined to win the girl of his dreams, Jimmy decides to venture into the unknown, so basically anything outside of his room.
Most of the jokes here are aimed at the lowest common denominator. It sinks to a level so low that not even the brightest team of writers could have dug this out of a zero-star rating. Don't believe me? Then I challenge you to write ANYTHING that including a joke where Bubble Boy "Jimmy" has to get rid of his erections by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, and to do so with the intent of making someone laugh. You think you can do it? Then try throwing in twin old fogeys that die while driving vehicles, a woman with a vulgar name that is censored every time a character in the film says it and a sheltered boy who says inappropriate things because he doesn't know any better. I couldn't make the task more difficult unless I came into the room and started dumping used kitty litter on your head every time you wrote the word "Jimmy".
What makes the movie offensively bad is the amount of jokes at the expense of religious organizations and visible minorities. This screenplay feels like it was ripped out of a talentless sweat shop that cranked out bad comedies in WWII it's filled with so many would-be comedic moments including Jews and Asians. Not to be exclusive in their tactless ways, get ready to witness cartoonish Hindus/Indians (who love curry so much they mix it with their ice cream), jokes at the expense of the physically handicapped (who are depicted as half-wits or cruel circus performers) and Christians (who are depicted as psychotic and cruel). If it's sounding like maybe it's just offensive to everyone and maybe that balances it all out, it's not. "Bubble Boy" is not a satirical film. Racism and stereotypes are simply used as filler until the end credits start to roll, probably so that everyone would leave the room out of fury before they could start writing down the names of those responsible.

All that, and the story is mercilessly bad. You have seen this sequence of events countless amount of times. The nice guy that should've gotten together with the pretty girl but for some contrived reason did not. Now she's about to get married to the jerk that doesn't really love her (and has no real redeeming qualities or reasons to be loved by the girl) so the nice guy has to get out there and find her before it's too late. Comedy hi-jinks ensure and we meet a whole bunch of wacky characters in a fantastic adventure that culminates with our hero entering the church at the last second. It's as imaginative as a straight line on a white sheet of paper.

Sure, there are probably some things that will make you laugh out of desperation to keep your sanity aloft. Danny Trejo is in here and people like him sometimes. Jake Gyllenhaal is a good actor that's been in some great films so maybe you will somehow be able to mentally connect some dots to make the fact that a talented person is wasting his time humorous. Maybe your whole family was just eaten by lions and your standards for a comedy are really low right now. Give your comedic tastes some credit though. You deserve better than this movie and you've got better things to do than sit through "Bubble Boy"; a tasteless, unfunny waste of time. (On Dvd, February 18, 2013)
½ August 4, 2015
Hilarious and Funny! Definitely would watch again, and again!
½ July 26, 2015
The first film I saw jake in and would be the beginning of my love for his wonderful acting career.
½ April 1, 2015
Lighthearted, simple fare. Not very good, not the most horrible thing ever either.
February 21, 2015
The amusements of manageable laughs and Jake Gyllenhaal's young performance with his known charisma were overpowered by the ridiculousness and pathetic-ness after losing and during the respected understanding on the limited ways of the film's bubble boy condition. (B-)

(Full review coming soon)
½ November 17, 2014
It never fails to make me laugh.
½ October 31, 2014
this is the reason I hate Jake Gyllenhaal.
October 19, 2014
While the film certainly has heart, most the jokes are broader on the offensive or just dumb. There are moments of fun and light hardness, overall the film lacks any sense of style and true merit. Perhaps patheticly passable.
August 16, 2014
Not a groundbreaking or mold shattering comedy but just enough bizarre quirkiness mixed with top-notch strange character acting, off-beat humor and sparingly used racism to make it unique.
July 22, 2014
cute .... but the cuteness gets old pretty fast
½ June 22, 2014
Jake Gyllenhaal has been in some truly amazing films. Bubble Boy is not one of those films. Nothing about this "comedy" is funny, I didn't laugh once while watching this. I suppose you could say that it's "so bad that it's good", but either way, it will take alot of strength to get through this. The script is absolutely horrible, having alot of gross-out gags and overly sentimental dialogue. All of the characters are unlikable, since they all have the IQ of a five year old. There is no redeeming factor about Bubble Boy, so I would highly recommend that no one ever watch this.
June 18, 2014
Forgettable teen comedy that has its moments but not enough to make it memorable
½ May 24, 2014
Lots of silly fun with a surprisingly good plot and message.