The Buccaneer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Buccaneer Reviews

December 30, 2015
for the time period this movie is and was a classic
½ August 1, 2015
An overly long flag waving exercise that might look better with a remake as practically every scene is on a synthetic looking stage.
April 23, 2015
good swashbuckler pic directed by Anthony Quinn remake of 1935 version of the same name.
½ February 21, 2015
Slow, Boring and disappointing. I expected more from Yul Brynner and charlton Heston.
March 5, 2014
Widening the Screen, for the Battle of New Orleans--Engaging, Entertaining, Large-Scale Adventure; Most Colorful!!
jjnxn
½ February 13, 2014
Colorful pageant of pirate derring-do might have been technically directed by Anthony Quinn but it bares the heavy imprint of C.B. DeMille. Brynner does well as the pirate and Heston repeating his Andy Jackson from The President's Lady captures him perfectly. Inger Stevens is incredibly beautiful.
½ February 20, 2013
Despite its directorial shortcomings, I was glad to have seen this movie for its historical appreciation. I did not know much about the story, but enjoyed it because of its novelty. I hope they will remake it. Heston was good, as well as Brynner, but much of the dialogue/writing was contrived and weak undermining their performances. The use of sets also destroyed its credibility since you could often tell how fake they were. The film quality was also poor since this was a transition period for new film stock.
October 28, 2012
I wasn't bored. Something about Yul is very captivating. Pirates get no love. You can definatly see Cecil B. DeMille's influence on this flick.

2008 Movies: 113
April 8, 2012
From the team that brought you "The Ten Commandments", here's proof that Age does not ruing Film.
March 23, 2012
One of my favorite films. Charlton Heston is Andrew Jackson.
½ January 3, 2011
THE BUCCANEER (1958)
September 12, 2010
La pelicula es buena y si nos mantiene entretenidos sus 2 horas. No sabia que A.Quinn fuese director, ni que fuese yerno de Cecil B. De Mille, quien le pidio a aquel que dirigiera la pelicula pues se encontraba grave, muriendo en 1959. Tambien es grato ver la actuacion de Y.Bryner (con pelo) y a Carlton Heston (Q.E.P.D.) haciendola del General A.Jackson. Recomendable.
½ August 12, 2010
It's not terrible I guess, Cecil B Demille throws some serious money into it to give a set and nice costumes and it's cool to see Anthony Quinn direct but you know this movie is just....ugh I don't even know. I can't even bring myself to hate it but I felt something about it and it's bastardization of American History. It's cool to see Yul Brynner and Chuck Heston on the screen together again and Heston was born to play Andrew Jackson just look at the guy... Yul Brynner's kind of cool as the Pirate Jean LaFitte who aided Jackson and his men at the battle of New Orleans but at times laughable in his french accent and too flamboyant. The story's convuluted the directing exceeds the ability of effects at the time it's very likely not historically accurate at all. God I mean who cares about the War of 1812, the events this movie depicts were a mistake anyways the war had ended news just hadn't reached New Orleans yet, it's just so...blase I can't for the life of me think why anyone would want to watch this but can't think of a good criticism either. Oh well who cares.
May 24, 2010
Good movie and I wish this was available on dvd. I liked both Yul Brynner & Charlton Heston better in the Ten Commandments but this is still an excellent movie.
January 25, 2010
One of my all time favourites. They just dont make men like Yul Brynner anymore. Who else could have his looks, his talent, his voice, his presence? The world became a whole lot emptier the day he died.
November 24, 2009
Entertaining and informative, mixing fact and fiction, this historical drama loosely depicts the events surrounding the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812. I came away with a fuller understanding of the underlying conflicts and clashes which existed between the French pirate Jean LaFitte and prominent locals under Andrew Jackson?s leadership that placed at great risk any favorable outcome for America and her allies. Studio re-enactment of the major front-line engagement against the British forces features special effects a la 1950?s staging that lend a realistic flavor to the action; ditto, the period-style military dress, costumes, and armaments, along with elaborate sets and scenery of Lafitte?s duty-free marketplace in the Louisiana Bayou; the pirate?s lair at Barretaria; the governor?s mansion; the New Orleans wharf; several wide-shots of sea-faring vessels both moored in safe harbor and involved in high-seas skirmishes. Decent performances all around, although I didn?t care for Inger Stevens in the role of the governor?s daughter.
November 13, 2009
One of my favorite films. Charlton Heston is Andrew Jackson.
March 31, 2009
This was a pretty good flick! Yes I get my AMC on from time to time!
January 3, 2009
The lavish production is a plus, and in spite of the big budget, the art direction and costumes are not very convincing and it lacks period flavor. Too many slow patches, a but of trimming would have helped. But it is entertaining in a Hollywood sort of way.
½ December 18, 2008
Bit of an overblown costune drama, brenner wears a wig. I believe this was produced by Cecille B. Demille (YES, that one) who made th eoriginal version. Heston plays another important historical figure as always.