The Buccaneer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Buccaneer Reviews

December 13, 2008
Hollywood shows its usual disrespect for history in this nugget from the (g)olden days of cinema. I shan't write too much about the topic of history distortion since I fear I will bore you with my rants. So instead I will say this; most of the story is an outright lie, but that doesn't matter, it is a good story, though simplistic, and at times quite engaging. It can be uneven however, pretentious even in its aspirations to entertain. This gives the impression that a child and a master painter have been at work at the same canvas. If you can endure this; by all means see it. If you do however, it may be wise also to read a book or two about the battle of New Orleans, lest you fill your head with nonsense.
September 17, 2008
I wasn't bored. Something about Yul is very captivating. Pirates get no love. You can definatly see Cecil B. DeMille's influence on this flick.

2008 Movies: 113
½ August 27, 2008
pretty good historical drama
July 10, 2008
I really like this movie but one thing in it I don't like in the story line!!!!
½ June 1, 2008
Charton Heston is the best Andrew Jackson ever, kickin‚?? ass and befriendin‚?? pirates.
June 1, 2008
I love these classic movies. Great acting, great story, a must see IMHO.
May 8, 2008
Yul Brynner, Charlton Heston,.....need I say more?
½ April 14, 2008
An interesting history epic.
April 12, 2008
This movie is no equal to the DeMille directed version from twenty years earlier. The battle scenes are still well-done and, as the titular character, Brynner is enjoyable (and works much better than Charlton Heston's Andrew Jackson in his "Promised Land Moses" wig from The Ten Commandments). The one improvement this film makes is changing the survivor of the Corinthian from a young Dutch woman to a cabin boy.
½ March 1, 2008
A good War of 1812 epic with good performances by Yul Brynner as French pirate Jean Lefitte & Charlton Heston as General Andrew Jackson
½ February 22, 2008
yul brynner is such a badass
½ February 21, 2008
Not only is this masterwork directed by a notable actor, but it features two of cinema's greatest actors, Mr. Brynner and Heston. Heston especially is in top form portraying Andrew Jackson opposite Brynner's suave French pirate Lefitte. Great, great pirate movie, and a fine addition to any collection.
½ December 3, 2007
i want this movie to be on DVD so badly...when i was a little kid i used to tell people that i was going to marry yul brynner...this of course was before i learned the differences in age and that he had died
November 14, 2007
When Pirates were pirates, spelled with an "aye" and "arrr', Heston is bizarre as pre-presidential Andrew Jackson.
November 3, 2007
Thank you to Mr. Knisely!
October 2, 2007
Hehe. Chester and Brynner in the same movie is cool, but Quinn shouldn't hide behind the camera. Looking forward to seeing it.
½ September 6, 2007
Charles Boyer is like 100 years old is this movie, but he's still got it! ;)
exnavykds
September 2, 2007
This is one of those "I-wish-they'd-realease-it-on-DVD" films that I'd buy in a heart beat. Yul Brynner heads an outstanding cast that includes memorable performances from Charles Boyer and Charlton Heston.
½ August 5, 2007
If it's on DVD, where at? not in the USA
July 27, 2007
This wasn't a great pirate movie but it was ok. Not much swashbuckling as we've seen since (and before), probably since it is based on a true story and the producers were trying to keep it real.