Buck Privates - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buck Privates Reviews

September 20, 2015
a B pic that doesn't feel like a B movie
½ April 14, 2015
Abbott & Costello's first starring vehicle is full of lowbrow humor and a simpy love subplot, but it was a box-office smash in 1941; The Andrews Sisters sing the songs "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" and "I'll Be With You In Apple Blossom Time," among others.
½ December 15, 2014
Really put them on the map....uneven,with lapses throughout.
½ September 14, 2013
Another great Abbot and Costello, though I didn't care for the singing, the filler, or the story, but I still enjoyed the comedy sketches.
September 1, 2013
Very good performers with some equally good writing. Andrew Sisters were terrific.
August 26, 2013
Is it me, or did I find this exceptionally weak, plot wise, and was just waiting for it to end? Has some amusing lines, but it really doesn't go anyplace.
May 7, 2013
A classic comedy with great routines and gags. Abbott and Costello are, as always the best.
December 13, 2012
oh abbott what did ya hit me for? haha
½ February 19, 2012
Very enjoyable A+C. All the jokes sound fresh with one or two stand out moments, such as the dice game and the money exchange. Problem is the singing. Not needed.
Mr Awesome
½ February 17, 2012
Buck Privates was the first of three movies starring Abbott and Costello and the Andrews Sisters, although Bud and Lou had one other film before. Hollywood wisely realized that Abbott and Costello couldn't carry a film on their own at this point and gave their movies regular stars and a regular plot, to which they would add their own comedy bits to. You could probably cut Abbott and Costello completely out of Buck Privates and it wouldn't affect the plot one little bit. They do their comedy bits sort of in a vaccuum apart from the rest of the film. The Andrews Sisters do a couple of songs in the movie, most noteably "You're a lucky fellow Mr. Smith" and "The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". The Andrews Sisters, for those who don't know, were an amazingly talented singing group. Three sisters who sang airtight harmony that was quick, fluid and flawless (I remember being a little pre-schooler and begging my grandmother to play the single of "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" for me every time she wanted me to take a nap- I'd lay there listening to that song over and over again on that old record player, digesting the music like it was the stuff of dreams). Anyway, besides the Abbott and Costello bits, there's also the main storyline, which involves a bit of class warfare between the rich inductee and his former butler-turned-equal-private. The rich soldier and the poor soldier butt heads over nearly everything, especially the hot girl who is apparently in the army as some sort of concubine or something. Can the soldiers overcome their differences and work together to defeat Hitler? Slow down, this isn't that kind of movie. Actually, it came out before WWII officially began, but there are undertones of the anticipation of war. As hard as they might try, nobody's fooled about the inevitable breakout of war. Still, this is pretty light-hearted fare. Entertaining, though.
February 17, 2012
½ February 12, 2012
I know they are a team but it seemed to me that Lou Costello carried this film more than anything. Bud Abbott is funny but his scenes were not as good as Costello's scenes were. The boxing scene was excellent and was hilarious. The Andrews sisters were also good and Jane Frazee was underrated as Judy. The two guys who vied for Judy's attention were also good but the ending was too sappy. Slow pacing and less than stellar directing by Arthur Lubin keeps this film from being a classic.
January 15, 2012
HILARIOUS this is what comedy is all about. I love these guys. back in simpler times with the stooges and these two, comedy was defined by their every release. now you have to make yourself laugh at the sad excuses for comedies the industry puts out.
TheSlowJoker
December 28, 2010
was first abbott and costello film ive ever seen and i loved it was pretty much laughing from start to finish

and the chemistry between abbott and costello is flawless cant say a bad word about them

and i love the little mind boggling scetches they do where leaves me sat totally confused but yet amused at the same time

really cant wait to see more of their work
½ December 4, 2010
Maybe Hollywood should take note and start producing films like this again
½ October 28, 2010
½ September 10, 2010
great slap stick of the time but may miss the mark on todays audience
½ August 20, 2010
Learning to play craps, hitting on the lady soldiers, and dancing to the Andrews sisters. It's life in the Army!
½ July 31, 2010
This is Abbott & Costello at the top of their game. This movie gives you a high speed ride through some of their greatest routines. The dice game and the drill practice are two of the best.

The Andrews Sisters add a whole bunch of great songs. They are at their best also. Watching this movie one truly understand why big band music was so compelling.

This movie packs a lot entertainment into 90 minutes. Between all the gags and the great songs it is time well spent.

Watch this movie to see how Hollywood starting preparing the citizens of the US for the coming war. It was done with a song and a laugh - and a gentle sense of urgency. There was none of the fear that now accompanies our entry into wars of the modern age.
June 25, 2010
Hard to believe this was ever a hit.