Buddy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buddy Reviews

½ January 31, 2015
A slacker movie with a big heart.
January 28, 2015
A fun film with a great starring performance from Nicolai Cleve Broch. Morton Tyldum, the Oscar nominated director of The Imitation Game, directed this and I think I'll check out more of his other films like this because I had a great time watching this
½ May 13, 2014
Light Norwegian comedy. Count how many times characters say, "Hi!" to one another for an added bonus.
February 7, 2014
This film clearly demonstrates how fame can effect an individual and the results that can have on your friends. It is funny, sweet and moving. watch it.
January 14, 2014
This was a decent movie, highlighted by a talented cast. This is more an indictment of the TV industry and how they take something successful and take all the heart and fun out of it and turn it into something hollow, a shell of It's former self. But the satire in this film doesn't really stick because it's not as strong as it should be. This feels like it was written by someone that just discovered what satire was and incorporated it into their script in as lazy a manner as possible. This is a good movie with some sweet moments, but it's the type of movie that I'll forget within a week. It's solid, but very forgettable.
½ July 22, 2013
This romantic comedy is boring, predictable, and just not funny.
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting.
February 11, 2012
I liked this film a lot. I was intrigued from the start. Great acting, interesting characters...touching story.
½ March 28, 2011
buddy is fresh and alive with youthful fun and the innocent quality of being true to oneself and loving others. great entertainment and warm heartfelt acting and screenwriting. critics who say they seen this before might consider that all love is before but with just little twist that make life interesting. this is a great film.
½ March 1, 2011
A charming film that demonstrates the true meaning of friendship, love, acceptance, and forgiveness. A warm, and truly funny comedy with excellent acting, and pacing. Very enjoyable, and smart.
January 26, 2011
This is one funny movie.
½ January 4, 2011
Re-watched this last weekend and marveled over it. A great movie, well-paced, funny, with very alive characters and a good, creative plot. Liked it a lot!
"Buddy" is excellent also because of it's actors, Nicolai Cleve Broch and Aksel Hennie whom we both have seen in the hit "Max Manus". Here they seem so innocent, playful and charming.
I liked the way the three storyline of the three guys are interwoven into each other without being episodic at all.

Definitely one of the best Norwegian movies I ever saw - and thanks to Anne for introducing me to it. Any new recommendations for me?
July 20, 2010
You know, really, this is not the typical film I would normally view. As a new Film Movement subscriber, however, I purchased this movie because it looked good. I believe it was, even if predictable. I probably liked it more because this was a Norwegian film, and not a goofy American. I rarely enjoy a love story but this one was quite good. Buddy films are usually a bore for me, but I felt envious of this crowd and wished I could be their pal as well. The acting was quite good. The pop music was fresh. And this film will be hard to rent or find anywhere.
July 20, 2010
Buddy. An inspiring, thought-provoking masterpiece. The movie Buddy is one of the best movies i've seen. Touching, emotional, romantic, funny. It made me laugh and cry. I went on the same rollercoaster of emotions as Kristoffer and his mates. I thouroughly enjoyed this movie and cant wait to see it again!
½ July 20, 2010
A great movie from Norway.
[b][u]Span[/u][/b]
(Ouch, I bit my tongue!) I thought I'd let everyone who's interested (and everyone whio's not for that matter:p) know about a great Norwegian band!:D Anyone heard of Span? no? Well if you like rock, I think you should download some of their songs! "Found" is really good, and...hmm..."on my way down" is good and..."kicking" and..."peaceful" is very...well, the beginning is very peaceful hmm, I don't know which songs are the best ones, but that's a few of them!

[b][u]Buddy[/u][/b]
The Norwegian movie "buddy" came at the same time as pirates came to Norway, so I wasn't really interested in seeing it when it was new...I'd rather spend my money watching PotC over and over and over, even if people kept telling me buddy was good. Anyway, I saw it the other day, and I really liked it! It was much more realistic than other american movies of the same genre (romantic/comedy/drama) and it takes place in Oslo (where I live) so the setting's very familiar to me! It was a really cute movie and if you're ever gonna see a norwegian movie (yea sure you are...) well, if you are, you should see buddy! I'm giving it 8!:)

Oh, one more thing, I got A+ on my exam today!:D

Oh, and I'm seeing the prizoner of Azkaban today!:D
½ January 17, 2010
In Blake Snyder's book "Save the Cat!: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need," he notes how when a character in a film saves a cat or undertakes some other likeable deed, we as the audience are more apt to root for the character and be invested in the film. While dog lovers may beg to differ, I think Mr. Snyder is on to something here. Case in point--Buddy. Here is a film that succeeds to the degree we like the main characters. And we do like them . . . a lot.

Take the character of Kristoffer (played wonderfully by Nicolai Cleve Broch) who is in many ways a self-centered, self-absorbed prat. Yet, with a surprise birthday party for buddy Stig Inge or a slight nudge of his best friend Geir toward embracing fatherhood, we see someone who has a sincere heart even if he gets it wrong now and then. We can forgive the slip-ups because in the savings of the cats, we see someone who at least wants to want to be a great friend.

While Buddy is a Norwegian film, this story about three friends learning to be just that has universal appeal. Certainly, the film has its predictable moments, the cinematography bores, the soundtrack limps along, and the set decoration does little to inspire. A cinematic masterwork it is not; yet, Buddy does engage. I desired nothing more than to watch it to the very end and nowadays that's saying a lot.

Truthfully, I think we love TV sitcoms, reality shows, vampire novels, and books about teenage wizards because we like characters. We would watch people dig up worms in the mud pits of Maine, if we liked the folks doing the digging. Of course, most of us like our villains and bad guys too, but ask us who'd we prefer to hang out with next weekend and 99.9% of us would pick the Buddy saving the cat.
January 1, 2010
It's an amazing movie with fascinating soundtrack .... too good ....
½ October 23, 2009
En film om kamratskap, kärlek och dess problem. Faktiskt en bra film.
(A movie about friendship, Love and problems. Great movie.)