Buddy Buddy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buddy Buddy Reviews

November 17, 2014
Another Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau vehicle. This was one of the more racy ones; with cursing and nudity. Also, subject matter was pretty dark compared to their other works, which always makes me remember it. A lesser known and underrated gem.
July 11, 2014
This is the only Lemmon-Matthau movie I have not seen. Tough to find, only available on VHS
June 13, 2014
I wanted to like this, but in spite of a few bright spots it's mostly pretty bad. It's hard to believe this was actually directed by Billy Wilder, who co-wrote with his frequent writing partner IAL Diamond. Matthau is a crotchety hit man, Lemmon is a neurotic would-be suicide. They keep crossing paths in ways that are evidently meant to be funny but are mostly just annoying. Wilder comes off at some times like a hopelessly out-of-touch, embittered old goat and at others like a bad imitation of himself. This is probably the lousiest film of his career, and he knew it. Even the presence of the magnificently crazy Klaus Kinski does little to liven up the dreary proceedings. Not really worth your time, unless you're a Wilder completist.
February 24, 2013
Great cast, but weak script in this remake of the 1973 French classic "A Pain In The Ass".
½ September 3, 2012
Not as good as the Odd Couple but even to watch this duo was amazing .
July 20, 2012
Lemmon and Matthau strike again--Wilder's last laugh!!
April 29, 2011
Most Walter Matthau/Jack Lemmon teamings are a treat & I was really amused by Buddy Buddy. Not that I was laughing my ass off or anything (I hardly do) but I was chuckling & smiling. Matthau is in great form as a professional killer who trying to kill a mob witness while Lemmon is in distress over the failing of his marriage. Some much that he tries to take his life. This even has the added bonus of having Klaus Kinski in the cast as a sex therapist. Happy to see this shot for an 'R' w/ some course language (Matthau uses the word 'fuck' beautifully & some brief nudity. Would probably be a PG-13 nowadays.
½ September 4, 2010
Buddy , Buddy is an american version of Francis Veber's play L'emmerdeur. It would be just perfect if there wasn't that unnecessarily vulgar sequence in the sex hospital. But aside from that this is the movie that should never be forgotten.
½ April 21, 2010
Based on the great French screenwriter Francis Weber's L'Emmerdeur, it was sad to see how Billy Wilder and his writing partner, I.A.L. Diamond, were really off their game in this, the last picture for both of them. Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau give it their all, and there are some nice lines, but overall the film looks "routine" and so much older than it is.
April 5, 2010
"Walter Mattau, Jack Lemmon, this can't fail to be awesome", I thought. How wrong I was. Still better than Zombieland though. Lost interest towards the end & started rooting through boxes for an old Blur album I haven't heard for years. Didn't find it. All told, a frustrating evening.
½ March 1, 2010
The weakest of the Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau movie pairings I've seen. It has one or two funny moments, but overall both actors are underutilized, the script is weak, the story is cliched except for it's far-too-abrupt ending, and the characters are *too* bizarre and caricatured for us to do much but just stare at them in confusion. Far from a great film.
June 13, 2009
Most of the time Lemmon and Matthau equals fireworks and although this movie certainly is enjoyable Wilder doesn't really delivers. The overall plot was classic but some comical situations just didn't work for me. When Lemmon is found strapped to his chair in the bathroom by the maid her reaction is not very believable nor funny. The first part of the movie was good fun but when the action shifted to the clinic of Kinski's character it became a kakaphony. I thought Paula Prentiss, who portrayed Celia Clooney really did a bad job. Even Lemmon couldn't save the scenes where they both acted in. The sex jokes in the clinic and after fell way flat and were sometimes inappropriate. Also worth mentioning although seen only a couple of times during the course of the movie was the cop who had to change clothes with the witness. He ruined every joke he was part of, a really terrible performance. Overall it was the dynamic between Matthau and Lemmon that saved this movie. Kinski only had to act on automatic pilot.
½ June 1, 2009
Has a lot of problems, but also a lot of funny bits. Klaus Kinski was amazing!
June 1, 2009
A forgotten comedy gem from Billy Wilder. There was something just so hypnotic about this movie. It's not perfect by any means, but all the elements came together to make something unique and really funny. Well worth tracking down, if only to see Klaus Kinski as the egomaniacal sex doctor.
½ May 14, 2009
I don't know why, I just always really loved this film growing up. I think I just like the idea and the situation. Just the fact Matthau is trying to get Lemmon not to commit suicide--not because he cares about him--but because it will draw attention (and police) to the hotel where he is trying to kill someone else. I think it's a clever premise and some funny parts (an over-the-top scene at a sex addicts hospital) are great and entertaining.
½ March 13, 2009
Lemmon,Matthau,and Billy wilder .Always a great team
½ September 1, 2008
not one of Wilder's better efforts
July 28, 2008
Looks like it was made for the sake of it, a last hurrah for such a versatile team. Some wise-ass jokes here and there, nothing to get excited about.
May 14, 2008
classic, classic comedy at its best
½ April 15, 2008
Wilder showing how out-of-touch he was, a 1940's screwball thriller that looks like its been turned in over a weekend on a Z-List Hollywood backlot- there are a couple of jokes between the old hands (ie Matthau and Lemmon), and Kinski turns in a pretty normal performance for once. Not terrible...just past its sell-by-date.