Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reviews

½ March 19, 2015
Though it is not great it started a show that is. Besides it is pretty fun.
½ February 26, 2015
Provided some laughs and cute moments, though most of the vampires seemed like weak props. Vampire Pee-Wee was the highlight of this movie. Stole the show!
February 25, 2015
Funny at times, but the tv show was much better.
½ February 6, 2015
So the best part of this camp is the camp. That and seeing Hilary Swank in her first film, Ben Affleck, and David Arquette. It doesn't work with the TV series, obviously, and it is awful. But it kinda works because it is nothing but camp!
½ January 14, 2015
I've seen this film many times and enjoy it each time, even if it isn't fantastic, i enjoy the action packed scenes and cheesy costumes. A less than thrilling opening for the t.v. series.
January 1, 2015
As a fan of the show, I'm anxious to see this (supposedly awful) movie that proceeded it. I've read bits of Joss Whedon's screenplay, which seems great in and of itself... Shame the movie apparently didn't live up.
December 4, 2014
Churchill Crescent, South Molton, EX36 4EL
½ November 11, 2014
Not a patch on the TV series although I did like Kristy Swanson's performance. The comic horror falls terribly flat.
October 25, 2014
Pretty cheesy, but it has a couple moments. Amazing how dated the film is, though only from 1992. Early appearances from Hilary Swank and Ben Affleck. Foe fans only.
September 28, 2014
It's amazing how we now have two interpretations of the same material and can look back at how phenomenal the TV show and awful the movie still are. BtVS the film covers the same material as the show about a popular, superficial cheerleader who is chosen to defend the world against vampires. But its attempts at tongue in cheek humour are way too forced. The vampires' make up and costumes are cringe-worthy bad. Even the sound is terrible as some scenes have a noticeable echo in the dialogue despite the characters being in a car with the windows rolled up. No actor seems connected to the material. It was clearly a paycheck for Donald Sutherland and Luke Perry where Kristy Swanson and her co-stars seem happy that they're in a movie. The themes of an ordinary girl changing under extraordinary circumstances or the metaphor of the vampires as symbolic of teenage anxieties are there but left unexplored. There is nothing good about the BtVS film and anyone curious about it should stay far away less it taint their perception of the TV series.
September 12, 2014
40%
Although charming and campy as a product of its time, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is weakly scripted and loosely shot.
August 17, 2014
Just because I love the TV series...
August 15, 2014
(First viewing - In my early twenties)
July 27, 2014
Buffy the movie is just as fun and entertaining as the series !!!!
July 26, 2014
The predecessor to the incredible television series is mainly for (unintended) laughs.
July 12, 2014
I love anything and everything about Buffy and since this is the film that sparked the TV show, I'll take it!
July 11, 2014
There is very little substance in this precursor to the cult television show, but that's ok. It's pure camp and the cast all appear to be having a blast. It never takes itself too seriously, and that's to the credit of Joss Wedon's script, which piles on the whit thick and fast. Not a great film by any stretch, but popcorn entertainment at it's purest and best.
July 11, 2014
This movie is o.k. it could have been a really good movie but is dragged down by many problems. The pacing is off, the scenes drag on for too long. The lack of a score makes the movie feel unfinished, the lack of continuity with the show makes it feel pointless to any fan of the show and make you ask "why am I watching this?" Stick to the show, skip this movie If you really wanna check out the prequel to the show try the comics.
June 27, 2014
The show is much better. I like the movie but Joss could have done much better if he was allowed to control the movie like he did the show.
June 16, 2014