Bug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bug Reviews

½ February 13, 2016
A really captivating thriller with outstanding career best performances from Ashely Judd, Michael Shannon (tied with 99 Homes), and surprisingly even Harry Conick Jr. William Friedkin has really gone into this underrated indie director group which is odd being the director of The French Connection and The Exorcist. He does a really excellent job directing this as does Tracy Letts adapting his own play to screen. It may go off the rails towards the end but the chaos of the movie is part of its charm. The cinematography, sound, and production design are also excellent. Really enjoyed this and hope to see the play version one day
January 16, 2016
Bug is a rather disturbing movie with good intentions and great performances by its leads, but it's final minutes may have viewers puzzled and angry.
½ January 14, 2016
The whole time watching I thought to myself, "This would make a really great stage play", until I realized during the credits that it was, in fact, based on the screenwriter's very own play! So I guess that's what the film feels like. Great dialogue, compelling characters and the acting is phenomenal. Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon work wonders together and make Bug come alive. The other thing I should mention is that Bug is NOT a horror movie. It's a creepy, psychological drama which touches on some very interesting topics.
½ October 30, 2015
Interesting psychedelic movie with outstanding male and female performanes.But too predictable and contrived.
½ October 25, 2015
superb. incredible build. so much delusion and paranoia. great unnerving sound effects. masterful film by a master. a tiny bit long, but boom, so good. my kinda flick.
Robert B.
½ September 28, 2015
Bug is an odd film that I want to uprate because it is so different and features some intense acting, but cannot because not enough actually happens. Although it is not a very scary, violent, or graphic film, I would class it as a kind of psychological drama horror. It is reminiscent of both "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and "American Hustle" in a weird way. Recommended mainly to those with a keen interest in the psychological.
½ September 17, 2015
pure government propaganda to make it seem people that question government authority are insane tweeker crack heads who think bugs live inside them and are dangerous delusional psychotic drugged out insane bat shit crack fiends. When yes some delusional people really do exist but government corruption is way more prevalent then most people think. At the very end of this long awful weird movie. weirdo peter talks about a few things which are true, the builderberg meetings which take place ever 4 years this a well known fact and depopulation, thats been written about by our current science czar john p holdren in the book ecoscience and a couple of other topics which he briefly mentions with some made up ones to are just fluff filler to add into the movie to cover up the truth by adding a load of crap ontop of the truth making it unappealing to look at. Government propaganda in movies has been around for centuries and is nothing new, the only thing similar between countries is the people of its country are for some reason never able to see through the guise to understand its propaganda. For example we can look at north korea and see their propaganda and say wow what a bunch of brainwashed idiots how could they fall for such simple deceptions, but when it comes to our own brainwashing people fail to believe that its happening to them, and historically its always been like that. Now in terms of the movie the actors did a good job but the plot and the storylines and the dialogue are awful too much rambling for too long with too much nonsense and insanity all mushed together. But I personally think its done just to establish a new made up criteria with no scientific evidence that crazy people are people that dont mindlessly trust government and although they can seem to be smart, like peter making a wide range of connections and showing that girl that bugs were in his teeth the movie eludes that see just becomes brainwashed within his delusions Even though she never had been diagnosed with a mental disorder herself eluding to what they want you to think is that paranoid government conspiracy can appear to be smart on the surface but really they are just crazy pyshcatic people who can brainwash some people into believing in their insane theories but if you do believe in the theories with them you will end up living like insane animals jumping at everything. When the truth is the government does alot of fucked up shit Tuskgee experiments where the government experimented on black men with brain eating syphilis , the gulf of tunkee where the government blew up one of their own ships and blamed it on a another country, JFK where the warren commission claimed a magic bullets hit Kennedy, and it just goes on and on and on. Ultra MLK in which bill clinton came out and aploigized for experimenting on people with the cia. These are all things if you are too stupid to have read about have no excuse today with the internet you can find this information has already come out and is admitted by the government already its not debatable its admitted. The excuse that you just didnt have time to find it out or read about it is now void because of the internet its only stupid and ignorance that allows corruption to flowerish and movies like this are made with the full intent to give you the predisposition that anyone who thinks critically of government is a paranoid moonbat tin foil hat wearing drugged out tweeker when that couldnt be further from the truth which is that must conspiracy theorist are smarter and more logically than the average dumbed down citizen. Also the who tin foil hat thing has been exposed as well, its call ELF weapons, just google DR robert Duncan and or watch the show brain invaders by jesse ventura and be prepared to enter the world of science fiction reality these weapons have existed for a long time and are now admitted to exist by the very developers like Robert Duncan once again proving the harsh reality that films like this are just propaganda. If you are having trouble believing me get on google and have fun
½ August 18, 2015
Sooooo not what I expected, but in a pretty great way... I think. Bug is a bit slow and "talky" and that works at times... however, once you reach act three, prepare for the shit to hit the fan.
August 4, 2015
well shit... never a bad decision to watch a Friedkin film...
July 27, 2015
It is not exactly a horror film. It's more like a psychological thriller. I did enjoy the over-the-top performances because it's the only thing it has going for it. The story is very mysterious to the point of excess, which made me not care what happened to the characters in the end; the tone of it, though very versatile, felt forced at times; and none of the characters are relatable. Don't even get me started with the political implications. Still, I like the film a bit because, most of the time, we are in one room observing three people or less interact. The film does not offer easy answers to our questions. I personally think it would have elevated the film if they did. Still, this is not a bad movie. It's just very in-your-face and unintentionally comedic.
½ July 22, 2015
This creepy little film will really get under your skin. Stellar performances
½ June 3, 2015
Bug, directed by The Exorcist/The French Connection legend William Friedkin, is a masterpiece, a frightening romance about two of the most paranoid, fu**ed up people in the world! The movie is stylish and beyond disturbing. Michael Shannon is terrifying. This is one of my favorite horror films.
May 18, 2015
When I watched the 2011 film "Take Shelter", Michael Shannon performed in an outstanding way the character of an obsessed paranoid man about tornados. Then I looked for another films directed by Jeff Nichols where Shannon was a supporting actor. Then I found him in a Herzog 2010 film "My son, my son what have ye done" and again Shannon got a great characterization of the insane main character. Now that I watched "Bug" from 2006, I see that Shannon is really suited for this kind of characters. I didn't watch this film thinking of a horror film, but some scenes of the Shannon's paranoid character really frightening me, and the way it gets Agnes (Judd´s character) to get insane too. The final monologue from Ashley Judd showing that he became as insane as Shannon is superb.
½ April 7, 2015
The film's ambition seems to pay off towards the end, however the conclusion resolutes as a little rushed. Ashley Judd stars in Bug almost like Charlize Theron appeared in Monster, transformed by the harshness of her story, playing an extremely lonely woman who lets a chance at love destory any state of a sound mind after she meets a disturbed AWOL officer played by Michael Shannon, who also appeared in the stage play the film is adapted from. It's a film about paranoia and "delusional parisitosis" but underneath it is also about heartbreak, motherhood, obsession and abuse and is really quite affective. The lengthy dialogue and single location can end up a bit jarring however...
February 9, 2015
Story goes nowhere. Boring Awful movie. Really upset I actually took the time to see this in theaters. It's probably the worst movie I've seen besides Human Centipede II.
January 29, 2015
Just when you think they'd play it low, they chose to talk- to talk a lot.
January 20, 2015
Una de las peliculas mas horribles que he visto ultimamente , una pena que Friedkin la haya dirigido.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A decent thriller about a strange bug which causes some problem related to some experiment of a kind.. Great acting and well made movie.
December 10, 2014
Astounding performances and a claustophobic feel add up to a successful slip into madness-type story.
½ November 27, 2014
William Friedkin has done some character studies, with a possessed The Exorcist and a deep fried thriller Killer Joe (also adapted from a Tracy Letts play). BUG seemed to be like a psychological puzzle but like Peter's wild claims about conspiracies and experiments, this is all up to interpretation. It is thought-provoking and brilliant to some and pointlessly lost to many others. For me, this fell right in the middle, at least when I watched it the second time.

BUG has Agnes, played by Ashley Judd, living in a small, dingy Oklahoma motel where she gets frequent anonymous phone calls, who she suspects is by her ex husband, Jerry, played by Harry Connick Jr. Her lesbian friend, RC, introduces Agnes to Peter, played by Michael Shannon, who right from the bat looks and appears off. From then on, he stays over at Agnes' place and out of loneliness from the both of them, they become romantically and sexually involved together. From the moment they have sex, a whirlwind of paranoia and goosebumps emerge.

Several directors has a certain style; Martin Scorsese is vibrant, fast, foul-mouthed and ambitious. Quentin Tarantino is violent, quirky and disorganized (in a good way). Christopher Nolan is visually stunning, a storyteller and intricately articulate. In Friedkin's case, he is dark (not like David Fincher) but for me, his messages are conflicting. That's an issue with BUG. What was it trying to say?

A definite character study on both Agnes and Peter, both of whom are messed up in their own ways, especially Peter. Shannon makes a horrifyingly convincing portrayal of a mysterious, paranoid self-proclaimed veteran. Whether it involves him complimenting Agnes, telling conspiracy stories or painfully pulling his own teeth off, there is always something odd about Peter. Like a speaker, the more he trusts Agnes, the more crazy he seems.

Agnes is more of a different story; she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but very lonely. She lost her son years ago and escaped an abusive Jerry, (Connick in an intimidating, southern stance). In all fairness, it would make sense why she gets with Peter so quickly; she was vulnerable and in need of someone to share her pain and Judd gives her character that sense. It is not as raw as Shannon's performance, but still feasible.