Bug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bug Reviews

May 18, 2015
When I watched the 2011 film "Take Shelter", Michael Shannon performed in an outstanding way the character of an obsessed paranoid man about tornados. Then I looked for another films directed by Jeff Nichols where Shannon was a supporting actor. Then I found him in a Herzog 2010 film "My son, my son what have ye done" and again Shannon got a great characterization of the insane main character. Now that I watched "Bug" from 2006, I see that Shannon is really suited for this kind of characters. I didn't watch this film thinking of a horror film, but some scenes of the Shannon's paranoid character really frightening me, and the way it gets Agnes (Judd´s character) to get insane too. The final monologue from Ashley Judd showing that he became as insane as Shannon is superb.
½ April 7, 2015
The film's ambition seems to pay off towards the end, however the conclusion resolutes as a little rushed. Ashley Judd stars in Bug almost like Charlize Theron appeared in Monster, transformed by the harshness of her story, playing an extremely lonely woman who lets a chance at love destory any state of a sound mind after she meets a disturbed AWOL officer played by Michael Shannon, who also appeared in the stage play the film is adapted from. It's a film about paranoia and "delusional parisitosis" but underneath it is also about heartbreak, motherhood, obsession and abuse and is really quite affective. The lengthy dialogue and single location can end up a bit jarring however...
February 9, 2015
Story goes nowhere. Boring Awful movie. Really upset I actually took the time to see this in theaters. It's probably the worst movie I've seen besides Human Centipede II.
January 29, 2015
Just when you think they'd play it low, they chose to talk- to talk a lot.
January 20, 2015
Una de las peliculas mas horribles que he visto ultimamente , una pena que Friedkin la haya dirigido.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A decent thriller about a strange bug which causes some problem related to some experiment of a kind.. Great acting and well made movie.
December 10, 2014
Astounding performances and a claustophobic feel add up to a successful slip into madness-type story.
½ November 27, 2014
William Friedkin has done some character studies, with a possessed The Exorcist and a deep fried thriller Killer Joe (also adapted from a Tracy Letts play). BUG seemed to be like a psychological puzzle but like Peter's wild claims about conspiracies and experiments, this is all up to interpretation. It is thought-provoking and brilliant to some and pointlessly lost to many others. For me, this fell right in the middle, at least when I watched it the second time.

BUG has Agnes, played by Ashley Judd, living in a small, dingy Oklahoma motel where she gets frequent anonymous phone calls, who she suspects is by her ex husband, Jerry, played by Harry Connick Jr. Her lesbian friend, RC, introduces Agnes to Peter, played by Michael Shannon, who right from the bat looks and appears off. From then on, he stays over at Agnes' place and out of loneliness from the both of them, they become romantically and sexually involved together. From the moment they have sex, a whirlwind of paranoia and goosebumps emerge.

Several directors has a certain style; Martin Scorsese is vibrant, fast, foul-mouthed and ambitious. Quentin Tarantino is violent, quirky and disorganized (in a good way). Christopher Nolan is visually stunning, a storyteller and intricately articulate. In Friedkin's case, he is dark (not like David Fincher) but for me, his messages are conflicting. That's an issue with BUG. What was it trying to say?

A definite character study on both Agnes and Peter, both of whom are messed up in their own ways, especially Peter. Shannon makes a horrifyingly convincing portrayal of a mysterious, paranoid self-proclaimed veteran. Whether it involves him complimenting Agnes, telling conspiracy stories or painfully pulling his own teeth off, there is always something odd about Peter. Like a speaker, the more he trusts Agnes, the more crazy he seems.

Agnes is more of a different story; she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but very lonely. She lost her son years ago and escaped an abusive Jerry, (Connick in an intimidating, southern stance). In all fairness, it would make sense why she gets with Peter so quickly; she was vulnerable and in need of someone to share her pain and Judd gives her character that sense. It is not as raw as Shannon's performance, but still feasible.
October 6, 2014
This film is horrible in a good way. It's an inspired nightmare with a disturbing performance by Michael Shannon and a complete, vulnerable and vivid work by the often underrated Ashley Judd.
September 28, 2014
A seamless slide into insanity.
½ September 26, 2014
Despite its somewhat comedic moments and unsatisfying conclusion, Bug uses its surroundings and creepy visuals to form a tense, fairly well-written plot led by two solid lead performances by Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon.
½ September 10, 2014
Good performances and direction, but the "story" never really clicks for me. Really, though, Michael Shannon is a pro at acting insane.
½ August 31, 2014
Almost any hack filmmaker can make a picture to shock or disgust the audience, and those no shortage of those type of films around. The real talent is to create something truly disturbing, and veteran director William Friedkin has done just that with "Bug", a frighteningly original and incredibly potent film that is also a return to form for the man behind "The Exorcist".

In fact, this doesn't feel like it was made by someone forty-plus years in the industry because it's brimming with an energy and a vitality many times reserved for first-timers. This is impossible to categorize and defies all explanations, and at the heart it simply illustrates how contagious paranoia can really be.

This is smarter than all of the "Saw" films combined, and it's led by a pair of powerhouse performances. It's the film that really started by cinematic love affair with Michael Shannon, and it should have been the picture to reignite the cooling career of Ashley Judd. Her transformation here might just be the scariest thing in the film, and Shannon immerses himself in this strange, troubled character in a way that has become his trademark in every picture he's made since this. In the beginning, when you're not quite sure where this is headed, he's charming in a sly and awkward sort of way. However he's completely believable and frightening by the film's end, becoming a dangerously paranoid and cultish snake charmer.

You've never seen anything quite like "Bug" before, and as I left the theater I was visibly shaken by its subversive power. It stays with you long after it's over.
August 16, 2014
freaky movie, might have u scratching too after u watch lol
½ August 6, 2014
Michael Shannon and Ashley Judd are the real gems of the film with there visceral performances
I cant say the same for the rest of the film which is an utter letdown
the premise sounds good but things don't get freaky until after the 1st hour and even then there isn't enough of it going on
it's just explaining and more explaining; have a rule of thumb in movies and in horror: show don't tell
'Splinter' is a better movie because it took real chances to be effective
August 4, 2014
With only five actors, one location, and a very strange script, Bug just inexplicably works for me. The horror/comedy/psychodrama screenplay is highly original (and true to the original stage version's script), William Friedkin directs like the old master he is, turning a big middle finger to modern shock horror conventions. Ashley Judd's a sympathetic anchor, Harry Connick Jr. is as funny as he is threatening, and Michael Shannon sports a hugely compelling range. Just don't expect to nail this film to a genre and you'll enjoy yourself.
August 2, 2014
Paranoid and fucked up. Authentic performances. Also: boobs.
July 18, 2014
"I am the super mother bug!" Brilliant, absolutely loved it!
July 7, 2014
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's weird as hell and interesting. Most sane people probably wont care for it.
June 23, 2014
I love Michael Shannon but the best part was the end.