A Bug's Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bug's Life Reviews

September 24, 2017
I watched this quite a bit as a kid, and it's even more funny and entertaining as an adult! It also is still truly scary. Overall it's a great movie though.
September 16, 2017
After Toy Story became a smash box office hit at the mid 90's, Pixar had to do a second film which I think this is the third computer animated film which is a bit obscure. So after Antz came out they had to release it in November 1998 right before The Prince of Egypt. Flik is an ant who keeps getting into trouble but heard an noise from the distance that sounds like grasshoppers. Now the ants had to stop preparing the food because they heard the grasshoppers are coming and Flik had an accident and had to tell Princess Atta about it. Now the grasshoppers found them underground and the leader of the grasshoppers is called Hopper which is played by Kevin Spacey. He wants the ants to prepare the food for him. If they don't, they will die. So Flik has to go out Ant Island to find someone who can helps the ants and put an end to Hopper's destruction. The circus bugs who are Flik's hero's who helps Flik out to help other ants but Flik finds out that they're not hero's so he has to convince them to help him but was interrupted by a giant bird which that Princess Atta says to Flik that hoppers are afraid of birds. Now they had to build a giant bird made out of leaves and sticks. As they celebrate the victory of planning to scare the grasshoppers, they got interrupted by a noise and the the owner of the circus named P.T. had to ask the ants about where are his circus bugs but the ants were lied to by Flik who thought they're were hero's, so he has to go with the circus bugs. So Hopper and the other grasshoppers return to see what the ants had been doing and now he kidnap them as slaves. Dot and her friends escaped from them and went to the club house and she got chased maniac looking grasshopper and find Flik. Dot warned Flik about Hopper and the grasshoppers took over Ant Island and now they're on their way to stop him and Flik and the children are on the giant bird to scare Hopper an the grasshoppers but it got burned by P.T. cause he thinks it's a real bird. So the circus bugs and the ants chased the grasshoppers and Flik defeated Hopper by the real giant bird and the ants from the Ant Island are safe and sound. Man, much like Antz though, A Bug's Life is one big bust. Oh, and have I forgot that this is Pixar's second film? Considering that nobody has even heard of this movie, I would recommend you go watch it and, uh, review it like all the other animated movies you all did. It's just a great film despite being copied by DreamWorks, Antz. There are some outtakes at the end credits which is the first time it happened. I even laugh at one outtake which I remember as a kid.
½ September 7, 2017
A great, highly underrated film. Not Pixar's best, but still good.
½ September 2, 2017
Pretty entertaining funny movie I liked it
August 26, 2017
A Bug's Life, for a Pixar movie is quite an underrated one. I personally really like this movie. Many people state that this is one of the most forgettable movies that the studio has made, but I say no to that. It has a lot of memorable scenes, from funny ones, to very intense ones. It also has memorable and very likeable characters. Flik, who is the best one in my opinion, has many qualities of an amazing character. He's funny, intelligent, creative, optimistic, courageous, cares for the safety of his colony, and most of all, he is brave. From the moment he comes up with the plan to leave the island to save his colony, he shows no fear whatsoever, even though he has no idea of what exactly he will come across on his journey. Flik just screams amazing character, and throughout the whole movie, it really shows. Other examples of great characters would be the circus bugs, each of them is unique and have different personalities. Out of everything in this movie, the best thing about it I would say is the characters. The story is good, but falls flat, because compared to other Pixar movies, this one doesn't seem to be very poignant. But it is still good though nonetheless. The animation and visuals are very impressive, especially for 1998 standards, back when computer animation was still rising. Overall, I give this 8 out of 10. The characters and visuals are great, but the story I feel could have been a bit better, because it is rather cliche in a way. Really good movie, but I wouldn't say it's up there with other Pixar movies. Also, compared to Antz, that movie doesn't have CRAP on this one!
August 17, 2017
it's nice enough on its own, but when placed in context of the other pixar movies, something seems to be missing from it.
½ August 9, 2017
Very entertaining movie. Very well-done.
Rating: 7.9/10.
August 4, 2017
It folows the game-changer that was the first Toy Story. So it was normal that the 2nd Pixar movie wasn't as good or memeroble as the first. Still it's an clever and entertaining story, with an great CGI animation (for that time) and great characters. With some good messages and moments, it's a nice movie to all family!

|It's a 7,1 out of 10|
July 28, 2017
A Bug's Life may have a predictable story and the animation might not hold up well by today's standards, but what really makes up for it is that even though the story is familiar, it is told in a way that's fun and well executed, and most of the characters are highly memorable like the circus bugs, Hopper and his evil grasshopper gang, and Princess Atta. It might not match the quality of the other Pixar films, but it's still enjoyable to watch nonetheless.
July 27, 2017
Although the plot has been done many times before about standing up for yourself a bugs life perfects it with great performances and exhilarating action
½ July 21, 2017
The animation works well, but it's really the titular bugs and the premise that make A Bugs Life stand out.
July 1, 2017
Man this was amazing very action packed at the end
June 30, 2017
6/24/2017 (2): A decent movie with some funny moments.
½ June 28, 2017
After Pixar made it's box office success known as Toy Story, they had some pretty big shoes to fill in. What they made was A Bug's Life, which despite being a good film, was definitely a step down lower than its predecessor. Having a pretty cliche plot, cliche characters and a message that has been overused in other movies, A Bug's Life is still a great watch with the same heart and Pixar pizzazz that we've seen a many of its future installments. Overall, I give it a B!
½ June 23, 2017
9.5 out of 10:

It may not be the best but it still has great animation and is sometimes thrilling and sometimes funny.
½ June 18, 2017
A Bug's Life (1998) Doesn't really stand out that much to me when compared to Pixar's other works. However, there are still some elements that help this movie become an enjoyable experience for everyone.
The concept in all honesty is not really as that engaging as it should be. It tries to go for a liar revel storyline which in my case is not a huge problem. I always believe that execution is more important than just pointing out things that have already been done in other films. My real problem is how the tone tries to go for an somewhat juvenile approach. It's not to say the whole movie is like that, but it's over the top comedy and somewhat mean spiritedness of the ants really make the film feel kinda unbalanced and lacking the fun of what should be a likable movie. Despite it's unbalanced tone I do think the story has it's advantages. Some of the ideas that they have for the ant colony's way of living and the city of many different bugs can be kinda creative sometimes. When the film isn't being over the top, it can have it's charming and uplifting moments. I also think the 3rd act of the movie is amazing and is definitely worth the price of admission. It combines an action packed grasshopper battle with some very pivotal moments that really bring out the best in all the characters.
The characters are really the one's that help make this movie enjoyable and each have likable talent behind the voices. Flik is a charming outcast and he does have his moments of bravery. Dot is very cute, but sometimes I do think her role in the movie might be a little overplayed sometimes. All the Circus bugs are funny and really help bring a lot of comedy to the film and Hopper has got to be one of the most threatening villains in a Pixar movie. Some of the other characters like Atta, also can be fun sometimes but it kinda makes me cringe whenever they criticize Flik for being himself.
The Animation has really gotten better since "Toy Story" and it's my pleasure to say that it's one of the highlights of the movie. Each of the bugs have really appealing designs and I like how they made each ant character look different to tell each and everyone apart. The size and scope is what I think works the most the most. Since the movie's focus is on bugs, a lot of everyday things like rain, birds, grass and other small human objects appear much more bigger to our characters. Sometimes I wish they could have done more with the size and scope, but I think what they do show is really impressive and it's definitely a step up from Pixar's last movie.
The Music is surprisingly epic and really does a great job with capturing the emotion of every scene. Randy Newman returns after his score from "Toy Story" and I can tell he's had a lot of fun making the music because it's another aspect of the movie that really makes the film work.
The main theme of the soundtrack is probably one of my favorite things in the movie and it helps create a sense of an epic adventure.
While I think this movie isn't necessarily Pixar's best, I wouldn't say it's anywhere near bad or not worth seeing. The story is kinda a mix bag in my opinion but when it gets it right it does get it right. On top of that, The Characters, Animation and Music really help bring this movie to be an Entertaining and enjoyable film. It's not my personal favorite, but it definitely is a pretty good film to check out. (B+)
½ June 7, 2017
A Bug's Life is not a bad film. In fact, it's a good film. But it's on the lower end of Pixar's spectrum. The story in this movie is extremely clichéd, but it's a Disney movie, and Pixar was still working the kinks out at this point. This was the first time a Pixar film's story was thin, and it isn't the last, as the studio has had a recent trend with thin plots. I'll give it a pass, because, after this, Pixar's film's were really appealing to all audiences, instead of just kids. The characters, especially the circus troupe of bugs, are very three-dimensional. While there isn't any somber backstory to them, there doesn't have to be. Their actions, emotions and much more come into play here, and it makes the initially boring group become much more fun. Some of the comedy does feel forced here, though. There's a lot of puns that are used, like when the grasshoppers are throwing mosquitoes into a dartboard, or when a mosquito asks for a Bloody Mary in a bar. A Bug's Life is an inconsistent, though mostly entertaining, animated film.
½ May 30, 2017
A Bug's Life presents a great early example of the promise of Pixar...all the elements of potential are here: good animation, quality humour, and heart to match.
½ May 30, 2017
A bug's life is charming, and has a lot of character. It is a good movie for families, and it has a bit of charm to it. The only problem with this movie is, although it is good, it is rather forgettable, and not very rewatchable. I do, however, still recommend it.
½ May 29, 2017
If this weren't for the liar revealed story, the film could have been more interesting! For what it is, this entry in the Pixar cannon is kinda decent.