A Bug's Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bug's Life Reviews

August 4, 2018
Colorful, fun and fantastic, A Bug´s Life is another Pixar movie that worked
½ August 2, 2018
It was way better than Antz if you ask me
July 31, 2018
Very entertaining movie. Very well-done.
Rating: 7.9/10.
July 21, 2018
This movie was awful in my opinion! It has an extremely poor taste for humor, and it is a dull, boring movie to watch. And the animation is garbage too. Antz is a better movie than this. And this movie is pro-socialism and pro-homosexuality. And I am personally a Conservative, so this movie is rotten for me.
½ July 15, 2018
Most of my enjoyment of the film comes from nostalgia when I originally saw it. The film is not very noteworthy, but it still has fun to be had.
July 12, 2018
A bugs life holds its place as another above average beautiful film that's been lost in the shadows. Stuffed with moderate to amusing jokes, stunning animation for its time and standard voice acting, A Bugs Life will offer an enjoyable watch but simply has to many flaws to live amongst the greats.
½ July 12, 2018
A bit of a forgotten Pixar gem. Genuine laugh out loud moments and a good ensemble cast, it lifted off from exactly where Toy Story started. The CGI can look a bit dated at points but does stand up in the main.
½ July 2, 2018
Out of all the pixar movie released from toy story all the way to up, a bugs life is the only one I have no memory of watching. I may have seen it once or twice when I was really young, but I didn't remember anything about it. But I'm happy to say that even 20 years after its release, and going into it pretty much blindly, its still a good movie. All of the characters are enjoyable, the film holds up surprisingly well visually, the story, while a bit predictable, is still a good story, and the film still contains that pixar magic we all know and love. A bugs life may not be the best of pixars work, but its still a good movie that is worth checking out.
June 28, 2018
I thought the animation was spectacular. I love how cute they made the bugs.
June 23, 2018
It folows the game-changer that was the first Toy Story. So it was normal that the 2nd Pixar movie wasn't as good or memeroble as the first. Still it's an clever and entertaining story, with an great CGI animation (for that time) and great characters. With some good messages and moments, it's a nice movie to all family!

|It's a 7,4 out of 10|
½ June 21, 2018
Really great movie. Flick is a great protagonist. I always enjoy watching this movie.
½ June 19, 2018
A beautiful tale of heroism and classic storytelling.

The story focuses on a colony of ants who seasonally gather food for themselves and a wild gang of rowdy grasshoppers. When bumbling worker ant Flik (David Foley) destroys the food supply, the angry grasshoppers, lead by the maniacally warped Hopper (Kevin Spacey), threaten to kill the ants if they don't produce a new supply of food by the time they return -- an impossible feat. Flik leaves the anthill in search of help in the form of bigger bugs, and to wage war against the grasshoppers.

In film school, as I've started my journey to becoming a professional screenwriter, I've learned a lot about what makes a good story. While there is absolutely no right way to do it, I think that "A Bug's Life" is a great, three act structure that's so well written and executed. Every step of this film is a perfect example of how to tell a story, and how to tell a story efficiently. The way this story is structured and paced is so admirable and I hope that my future scripts are as concrete as this story.

For 1998, this film had pretty good animation. Overall, the animation was great. It was simple, colorful, and fluid. There are some moments where the animation looks a bit iffy, but you give it a pass because of the intensity of the story-telling and all the other great elements. Is that fair? Maybe not, but this is 1998. For the most part, this film is beyond its time and still holds up well today.

This film was just a fun adventure. I remember watching this as a kid and loving it. It's inspiring, thrilling, and a classic story. There were some pretty funny parts, and that was also in credit to the great voice actors. The film is filled with humor and adventure and it never seems to slow down. It's only an hour and 29 minutes but it makes the best of each minute of its runtime.

In the end, "A Bug's Life" is one of PIxar's classics and will stay that way for years to come.
May 16, 2018
Enjoyable not so memorable
½ April 9, 2018
I honestly don't know why people would want to watch this, I know i'm in the minority here, but this movie is just boring, just boring. I can't remember any characters name other than the protagonist and the villian. This is a side note, but the song randy newman made for this movie, makes me want to go back in my bed. If you'd like your children to go to sleep, put this movie on, and thank me later.
March 30, 2018
When an ant colony's food offering to a gang of greedy grasshoppers ends up getting accidentally destroyed by the idealistic inventor ant named Flik (Dave Foley), the grasshopper leader Hopper (Kevin Spacey) threatens the colony with destruction if they don't give them a larger offering. Leaving the colony to find bigger bugs to fight off the grasshoppers, Flik thinks he's found the perfect fighters in the form of a group of circus bugs, But when he finds out the truth, Flik must now use all of his skills as an inventor to stop Hopper and his gang forever...

Although this film, being only the third computer-animated film in existance at the time and following in the footsteps of Toy Story, A Bug's Life may lack the originality of Pixar's first film in terms of storytelling, but the background animation of the world of the bugs is so good, that it still looks incredible today. The character designs, despite not looking as realistic as the insects of Dreamworks's Antz also looks really impressive compared to CGI designs at the time.

Although some of the main characters aren't that interesting, the circus bugs and the grasshoppers steal the show in terms of humour, with the funniest moments coming from Richard Kind's Molt and the late Joe Ranft's German caterpillar Heimlich and although what he did throughout his career was horrible and should not be encouraged, Kevin Spacey's sarcastic, yet intimidating performance as Hopper makes this character, one of the most under-rated Pixar villians.

Overall, A Bug's Life is a really entertaining film of miniature proportions that's still packs a tiny punch.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
for one of the earliest Pixar films it really doesn't show because the art is still fantastic, and the drama and comedy of this movie was fantastic and as a little kid this was my favorite movie its definitely not anymore but it still is fun to watch
March 29, 2018
This movie gets real old real fast
March 29, 2018
One of my favorite and best animated movie of all time.
March 27, 2018
Adventurous, yet gentle. "A Bug's Life' is amazing in every aspect.