A Bug's Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bug's Life Reviews

May 16, 2018
Enjoyable not so memorable
½ April 9, 2018
I honestly don't know why people would want to watch this, I know i'm in the minority here, but this movie is just boring, just boring. I can't remember any characters name other than the protagonist and the villian. This is a side note, but the song randy newman made for this movie, makes me want to go back in my bed. If you'd like your children to go to sleep, put this movie on, and thank me later.
March 30, 2018
When an ant colony's food offering to a gang of greedy grasshoppers ends up getting accidentally destroyed by the idealistic inventor ant named Flik (Dave Foley), the grasshopper leader Hopper (Kevin Spacey) threatens the colony with destruction if they don't give them a larger offering. Leaving the colony to find bigger bugs to fight off the grasshoppers, Flik thinks he's found the perfect fighters in the form of a group of circus bugs, But when he finds out the truth, Flik must now use all of his skills as an inventor to stop Hopper and his gang forever...

Although this film, being only the third computer-animated film in existance at the time and following in the footsteps of Toy Story, A Bug's Life may lack the originality of Pixar's first film in terms of storytelling, but the background animation of the world of the bugs is so good, that it still looks incredible today. The character designs, despite not looking as realistic as the insects of Dreamworks's Antz also looks really impressive compared to CGI designs at the time.

Although some of the main characters aren't that interesting, the circus bugs and the grasshoppers steal the show in terms of humour, with the funniest moments coming from Richard Kind's Molt and the late Joe Ranft's German caterpillar Heimlich and although what he did throughout his career was horrible and should not be encouraged, Kevin Spacey's sarcastic, yet intimidating performance as Hopper makes this character, one of the most under-rated Pixar villians.

Overall, A Bug's Life is a really entertaining film of miniature proportions that's still packs a tiny punch.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
for one of the earliest Pixar films it really doesn't show because the art is still fantastic, and the drama and comedy of this movie was fantastic and as a little kid this was my favorite movie its definitely not anymore but it still is fun to watch
March 29, 2018
This movie gets real old real fast
March 29, 2018
One of my favorite and best animated movie of all time.
March 27, 2018
Adventurous, yet gentle. "A Bug's Life' is amazing in every aspect.
½ March 14, 2018
A Bug's Life is at its best when it's dealing with dangerous situations, adventurous elements and action sequences which are stellar. Hopper is the standout part of the film as he is very menacing, highly competent and ultimately the very best Pixar villain alongside Lotso. The film is definitely entertaining and quite solid, but with a familiar storyline, subpar sidekicks and very messy pacing as the plot basically stops for a while when we encounter the Circus Bugs. It is thus one of Pixar's weaker and more forgettable outings and DreamWorks Animation takes the victory here with 'Antz'.
½ March 11, 2018
A Bug's Life is truly the weakest film Pixar has ever created. Though I give it much credit and praise for its innovative and frankly beautiful animation, it suffers from a case of bad writing and a dull story.
½ February 19, 2018
"A Bug's Life" is probably the most forgettable of the Pixar franchise. The animation doesn't hold up as much as it did back when it was released but it still is another fun loveable Pixar movie.
January 13, 2018
I remember watching it before, so I decided to watch it again. In my opinion, it is a good movie, but it's nothing like Toy Story 2. Only funny in places, and the storyline is understandable but very weird.
So what I'm saying is that it's not bad, but I wouldn't myself consider it a huge classic.
½ December 25, 2017
With a brilliant Story, astonishing animation and lovable characters, there's no denying that A Bug's Life is one of Pixar's best works. Maybe it and Antz are both great.
December 20, 2017
This is a really special film for its ability to build an interesting world full of characters who grow and make us care while telling a story that feels both epic and intimate. Great work from everyone involved
½ December 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Genial y con un gran mensaje sobre la persecución de los sueños, la unión y la creatividad. Una película formadora en valores, e ideal para los más pequeños.
December 2, 2017
Funny Stuff That Rips The Majority Of The Story From Another Gem-Of-Film, An 80's Classic; The 3-Amigo's. Good For The Kids, The Visuals Hold Up So Well With Camera Work That Puts You At That Ground Level With The Bugs..A No Drama, Rainy Sunday Kid Time-Filler..It Carries On From The Disney-Pixar 'Ants' Film Into Another Tangent Story. Gets A Bit Full-On When The Grasshoppers Get Angry, So Maybe Some Lil-Kids Might Find It Scary, But It's Not Too Bad.
½ November 25, 2017
If this weren't for the liar revealed story, the film could have been more interesting! For what it is, this entry in the Pixar cannon is kinda decent.
½ November 14, 2017
A childhood classic. I would recommend to any youngster who is yet to experience a bugs life
½ November 12, 2017
A childhood favorite of mine! Though comparing it to Antz, I've realized the true differences between the two. A bug's life is more family-friendly oriented with less adult themes as well as having a simple story about the conflict of ants and "grasshoppers". I say grasshoppers in quotation because they're more or less like locusts. While Antz is more adult oriented with a more complex and political tone to it describing the message of individualism. After watching both of these recently, picking out on who really did the best job of portraying the world of insects. Antz was the winner for me. However, that's not to say that A bug's life is bad. In fact, it's honestly one of Pixar's most underrated films. I absolutely love the characters! Especially Hopper. Kevin Spacey always does a good job. And the animation is much much better than Antz. At least by today's standards. So overall, A bug's life is an awesome edition to the Pixar family, even if it's message isn't as strong as Antz.
November 4, 2017
I really loved it!! HIGHLY recommend it!
October 25, 2017
this is one of my favorite Disney/Pixar movie ever