A Bug's Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bug's Life Reviews

June 19, 2016
A bug's Life contains laughs but in no way shape or form is as good as classic Pixar
½ June 19, 2016
A cute movie, but still not as good as other Pixar movies, it's better than Cars and Brave, but that's about it. Nonetheless, A Bug's Life is a fun and sweet movie to watch and actually deserves to be watched.
½ June 19, 2016
With it's classic Pixar wit and fun characters, A Bug's Life is a very funny and action-packed adventure with great looking animation and fun homages to classic cinema.
June 16, 2016
Really Good. It might not be as good as Toy Story but still is a good addition to Pixar
½ June 16, 2016
A Bug's Life might not be the most beloved of all the Pixar movies, but hey, this is about persona feeling, and I LOVE the bugs!
½ June 15, 2016
Loved this movie when I was little
June 8, 2016
This tale about a colony of ants living in an island, in which they all act the same and are tyrannized by grasshoppers (it's actually based in an Aesop's fable, not in present day Cuba), that receives a group of fame-driven circus' insects is a frame by frame marvel, not only by its numerous revolutionary techniques on movement, lightning and animation but also due to a wonderful screenplay that shows the powerful duality of individuality and community, and that - at least in a bug's world with male ladybugs, fat German caterpillars and "eccentric" worker ants - every insect matters. Maybe it's about Cuba, after all.
June 7, 2016
Beautifully animated, beats the god awful Antz turd Dreamworks made.
½ September 8, 2015
Unlike most Pixar films, I never really watched this movie when I was a kid. The first time I remember watching it was when I was about ten or eleven years old, and watched it only a few more times since then. It just did not interest me at all. I don't remember that much about it either, as a lot of people don't. Maybe because the films that came out after this one did so well that people seem to have forgotten about it.

After watching it just recently for this review, I thought that maybe there are some things that I could appreciate more as a movie reviewer. And it's still just as I remembered. A BUG'S LIFE is definitely one of Pixar's weaker films. I don't think it's just the fact that the later Pixar films did so much better than this one, it's also because the characters are not memorable and the story has been done so many times already. The movie is basically your typical story of mistaken identity.

The plot is basically this: a colony of ants is forced to provide food to a group of grasshoppers, but our main character, Flik, is against this and goes out to find warrior bugs to defend the grasshoppers off, but the warrior bugs he finds are actually circus bugs and so are not meant to fight, but the colony doesn't know that. With that, you can predict exactly what's going to happen in the end. Therefore, you can't really become engaged in the story and characters, nor even care. We've seen this so many times before. You could make the argument that this a new animation studio and is just starting to create their own movies. But with TOY STORY that has just been made by them, a movie that has a simple yet innovative and interesting story with fun and memorable characters, you can't excuse them for making a movie that has a complicated and conventional story with boring and forgettable characters.

However, they did at least make the characters entertaining, and that has to go to the voice cast. Really, the whole cast is great: Dave Foley, Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Joe Ranft, Denis Leary, Richard Kind, and Bonnie Hunt. All of them really do they're best to make these dull characters as enjoyable as possible. Okay, maybe not all the characters are boring and forgettable, I really do enjoy the circus bugs. Each of them as their own unique design and way of entertainment, which makes them easily the most memorable characters.
Another great thing about the movie is the animation. The CG looks like it's really starting to improve from TOY STORY with all the neat textures and how many ants they can fit into one frame. Seriously, look at all the ants that they had to put in. I get the feeling that their computers have crashed a lot when animating certain frames of the entire ant colony.

As I said before, A BUG'S LIFE is definitely not a very strong animated film, especially when coming from Pixar. We don't remember it that much because we've seen this concept so many times already and the characters were not all that interesting. Plus, the studio proved to themselves that they could do way better. I still like it though, it's an entertaining film with a great voice cast and fantastic animation for its time. It's just not something I would watch multiple times like I would for most Pixar films. The movie is probably meant to appeal more for kids than adults, and that's fine.

Grade: B-
June 4, 2016
The best family film made by pixar
November 26, 2007
The animation is quite impressive for the 90's but the story is lame. Another forgettable kids film
½ May 30, 2016
It is great but it is worse than a lot of the Pixar movies and it is far better than Antz
June 29, 2015
In my opinion this is the most underrated Pixar movie ever. Amazing story, and hilarious for all ages to appreciate.
May 12, 2016
What seems like a strange topic to build a story around, Pixar nail it yet again, and with this as their second feature release, it's very clear that they know what they're doing.
½ December 22, 2015
A Bugs Life is one of those rare movies were you remember and like every single character of a large roster, which is a difficult thing to pull in an animated movie.
½ April 30, 2016
A Bug's Life (1998) ??? 1/2
Wonderfully imaginative updating of SEVEN SAMURAI as ants gather bigger bugs to help them defend against raiding grasshoppers. Overwhelmingly clever, funny, and visually opulent. Grasshopper leader Hopper (voiced by Kevin Spacey) is a classic Disney villain; the ending makes the movie. Terrific score by Randy Newman.
April 24, 2016
The Hopper was menacing, special effects maintaining the standards and voice performances are top notch. It was hilarious even when the credits are rolling. Pixar team's great understanding of the environment they are working on is fabulously converted to screen.
½ July 23, 2014
Me parece un clásico de Pixar que la gente casi no habla. Merece más reconocimiento, una música y la canción reconocible en cualquier momento. Me parece muy entretenida y parte de mi infancia.
½ April 2, 2016
This is probably one of Pixar's underrated films. This came out around the same time as Antz, and was so much better. This is where everyone knew that Pixar was going to continue to do some great stuff.
½ March 29, 2016
Basically 'The Magnificent Seven' re-made with insects, what's not to like? It falls a little flat on the gag front and is fairly scary for a film aimed at toddlers (perhaps I worry more though because my son was un-fazed) but it's overall a fun story. Some really likeable characters and a genuinely menacing Grasshopper voiced by Kevin Spacey.