A Bug's Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bug's Life Reviews

Daniel Mumby
½ October 6, 2018
As a general rule, I have always preferred PIXAR's output to that of Dreamworks. Both companies deserve credit for pushing the visual envelope with their character designs and for helping to usher in an age in which animated films can be taken seriously in the western world. But PIXAR's output is not only more consistent, but has a better idea of what a proper children's film should be: while Shark Tale has a multitude of adult jokes which will go over youngsters' heads, designed solely to keep the paying parents awake, Finding Nemo pitches its story and characters at the same level for everyone, treating children as intelligent and the film as a family event.

That's not to say that Dreamworks has never come close to PIXAR in terms of quality: the first two Shrek films are great entertainment, with the former being on a par with Monsters, Inc. and the latter being a far more rounded barrel of fun than The Incredibles. But perhaps the most acrimonious example of Jeffrey Katzenberg edging out over John Lasseter would involve A Bug's Life, released in the same year as Dreamworks' Antz with a number of clear similarities. Where Antz was rough around the edges, politically savvy and surprisingly dramatic, A Bug's Life is an enjoyable but slight offering whose technical brilliance disguises a very thin story.

The rivalry between A Bug's Life and Antz shaped the identity of both films so deeply that it is worth going over the story of what occurred. Katzenberg left Disney acrimoniously in 1994 after falling out with CEO Michael Eisner, but kept in touch with Lasseter and others at PIXAR while post-production on Toy Story was underway. Lasseter and co-director Andrew Stanton met with Katzenberg in October 1995, with Lasseter discussing what would become A Bug's Life. After Dreamworks acquired PIXAR's contemporary PDI, the trades papers announced that the studio's first project would be Antz. Lasseter felt betrayed, claiming that Katzenberg had stolen his idea, while Katzenberg claimed that the idea had been pitched to him as early as 1991. What followed was months of allegations and horse trading, as both companies competed to finish their film first and to secure it a prime release date, avoiding competition from Disney's The Prince of Egypt.

In a nutshell, A Bug's Life is PIXAR's difficult second album. Having established themselves so emphatically with Toy Story, the studio was looking to consolidate its position, having access to Disney's distribution power but being creatively distinct from them. Confronted by Dreamworks' rebellious streak on the one side and a shoring up of the Disney renaissance on the other, Lasseter delivered a film which was less confident and less emotionally gripping than its predecessor. It's still a technical marvel and remains enjoyably diverting, but it feels like a retreat into a somewhat Disney-shaped comfort zone rather than a stretch of all its legs.

Perhaps the biggest clue to this retreat is in the film's premise. European folk and fairy tales have been Disney's wheelhouse for decades; three years before Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released, Disney tackled Aesop's fable of the ant and the grasshopper in one of his more memorable Silly Symphonies shorts. Aesop's stories are hardy and malleable, making it very easy to bring the settings up to date without watering down the moral. But because they are inherently designed as short stories, it takes creativity to expand them into a feature-length tale.

A Bug's Life partially succeeds, insofar as it doesn't feel entirely over-long, but many of the elements which it decides to include end up feeling like distractions to the main plot rather than adding to it. The circus animals do make for a pleasant couple of set-pieces, complete with funny accents and some decent slapstick comedy. But given how much the threat of the grasshoppers has been built up, the more screen-time they get the more it feels like the script is striving to keep the grasshoppers away, lest the film end sooner than intended. Comedy based upon confusion or mistaken identity can work, but as in Much Ado About Nothing hard work is needed to sustain it, or at least keep our suspicions at bay for long enough. Ultimately even the funniest members of the troupe outstay their welcome, providing decent jokes but not enough narrative impetus to justify their continued presence.

A similar problem lies with our main protagonist, who pales not only in comparison to his Antz counterpart but also to his cowboy predecessor. Where Woody was intriguing, believable and went through actual character development, Flik is largely one-note: he starts as the clumsy, creative inventor and he's still that by the end, save for a few bouts of depression in between. You sympathise with his plight not because of his own redeeming features, but only because the other ants are so mean and narrow-minded. Dean Foley does a decent job with the material he's given, but he remains one of PIXAR's less memorable protagonists.

By building itself around a bumbling inventor and a love story, A Bug's Life ends up feeling like a more conventional film than Antz does. Whatever you may think of Dreamworks' subsequent output, a lot of the creative decisions in Antz were pretty adventurous for a children's film of the time. Aside from its battle scenes and disaster movie ending, the film was dripping with political commentary, taking Aesop's comments about industriousness and delivering a film as close to Marxism as American cartoons have ever come. A Bug's Life has some interest in the political side, but it's introduced relatively late in the day and isn't allowed to be fleshed out as much as it could have been.

If we take the Antz comparison completely out of the picture, A Bug's Life still has merits. You might not feel that all the characters are completely necessary, but the script does manage to balance the coverage given to the various little groups pretty effectively. It doesn't have the quality of the last act of Return of the Jedi, where Richard Marquand cut away every time a particular sub-plot or character decision in one part of the universe ran out of steam. Instead the story builds organically, with some cheerful humour along the way.

The visuals of A Bug's Life are arguably its most memorable feature, and it is tempting to brand the whole film as a triumph of style over substance. The standard of animation is as high as on Toy Story; there is less of a need to convey realistic human expressions due to the lack of human characters, but this challenge is substituted by the arduous task of giving personality to hundreds of seemingly identical creatures. Lasseter and his team pull this off through some very subtle programming and design variation, achieving the same kind of effect that Peter Jackson would in creating the Battle of Helms Deep in The Two Towers.

Aside from its character design and articulation, the world of A Bug's Life is very appealing to behold. The colour palette has a gentle, pastel quality to it which reflects the natural environment, and great effort has been expended to bringing a proper sense of scale to the ants' surroundings. The design is more consciously child-like than some later PIXAR efforts, veering close to Silly Symphonies in some of its backgrounds and the way that certain scenes are blocked. But it still feels like a world which could stretch beyond the four corners of the screen, adding to Flik's sense of being part of a tiny community is a huge, unexplored area.

The performances in A Bug's Life are pretty decent in quality without being massively memorable. Kevin Spacey is the stand-out as Hopper, turning in a performance with a decent amount of menace; his amount of threat is sporadic throughout the film, but he does deliver when it matters. David Hyde Pearce is the stand-out among the circus animals, though as in Treasure Planet four years later he is not always given enough to do given his surprisingly wide range. The other principles get the job done without leaving an enormous impression - Julia Lewis-Dreyfus, Hayden Panetierre and Phyliss Diller are all fine but unremarkable.

A Bug's Life is a slight yet diverting film which remains one of PIXAR's lesser efforts. Its remarkable visuals and some of the vocal performances are enough to keep younger viewers entertained, and most of the jokes have dated pretty well. But whether compared to Antz or the studio's other efforts of the time, the film feels less substantial and emotionally resonant, settling for a well-worn approach instead of trying something more adventurous. It makes for pleasant viewing on a wet Sunday evening, but Toy Story is a far better means of both entertaining children and introducing them to Lasseter's genius.
August 4, 2018
Colorful, fun and fantastic, A Bug´s Life is another Pixar movie that worked
½ August 2, 2018
It was way better than Antz if you ask me
July 31, 2018
Very entertaining movie. Very well-done.
Rating: 7.9/10.
July 21, 2018
This movie was awful in my opinion! It has an extremely poor taste for humor, and it is a dull, boring movie to watch. And the animation is garbage too. Antz is a better movie than this. And this movie is pro-socialism and pro-homosexuality. And I am personally a Conservative, so this movie is rotten for me.
½ July 15, 2018
Most of my enjoyment of the film comes from nostalgia when I originally saw it. The film is not very noteworthy, but it still has fun to be had.
July 12, 2018
A bugs life holds its place as another above average beautiful film that's been lost in the shadows. Stuffed with moderate to amusing jokes, stunning animation for its time and standard voice acting, A Bugs Life will offer an enjoyable watch but simply has to many flaws to live amongst the greats.
½ July 12, 2018
A bit of a forgotten Pixar gem. Genuine laugh out loud moments and a good ensemble cast, it lifted off from exactly where Toy Story started. The CGI can look a bit dated at points but does stand up in the main.
½ July 2, 2018
Out of all the pixar movie released from toy story all the way to up, a bugs life is the only one I have no memory of watching. I may have seen it once or twice when I was really young, but I didn't remember anything about it. But I'm happy to say that even 20 years after its release, and going into it pretty much blindly, its still a good movie. All of the characters are enjoyable, the film holds up surprisingly well visually, the story, while a bit predictable, is still a good story, and the film still contains that pixar magic we all know and love. A bugs life may not be the best of pixars work, but its still a good movie that is worth checking out.
June 28, 2018
I thought the animation was spectacular. I love how cute they made the bugs.
June 23, 2018
It folows the game-changer that was the first Toy Story. So it was normal that the 2nd Pixar movie wasn't as good or memeroble as the first. Still it's an clever and entertaining story, with an great CGI animation (for that time) and great characters. With some good messages and moments, it's a nice movie to all family!

|It's a 7,4 out of 10|
½ June 21, 2018
Really great movie. Flick is a great protagonist. I always enjoy watching this movie.
½ June 19, 2018
A beautiful tale of heroism and classic storytelling.

The story focuses on a colony of ants who seasonally gather food for themselves and a wild gang of rowdy grasshoppers. When bumbling worker ant Flik (David Foley) destroys the food supply, the angry grasshoppers, lead by the maniacally warped Hopper (Kevin Spacey), threaten to kill the ants if they don't produce a new supply of food by the time they return -- an impossible feat. Flik leaves the anthill in search of help in the form of bigger bugs, and to wage war against the grasshoppers.

In film school, as I've started my journey to becoming a professional screenwriter, I've learned a lot about what makes a good story. While there is absolutely no right way to do it, I think that "A Bug's Life" is a great, three act structure that's so well written and executed. Every step of this film is a perfect example of how to tell a story, and how to tell a story efficiently. The way this story is structured and paced is so admirable and I hope that my future scripts are as concrete as this story.

For 1998, this film had pretty good animation. Overall, the animation was great. It was simple, colorful, and fluid. There are some moments where the animation looks a bit iffy, but you give it a pass because of the intensity of the story-telling and all the other great elements. Is that fair? Maybe not, but this is 1998. For the most part, this film is beyond its time and still holds up well today.

This film was just a fun adventure. I remember watching this as a kid and loving it. It's inspiring, thrilling, and a classic story. There were some pretty funny parts, and that was also in credit to the great voice actors. The film is filled with humor and adventure and it never seems to slow down. It's only an hour and 29 minutes but it makes the best of each minute of its runtime.

In the end, "A Bug's Life" is one of PIxar's classics and will stay that way for years to come.
May 16, 2018
Enjoyable not so memorable
½ April 9, 2018
I honestly don't know why people would want to watch this, I know i'm in the minority here, but this movie is just boring, just boring. I can't remember any characters name other than the protagonist and the villian. This is a side note, but the song randy newman made for this movie, makes me want to go back in my bed. If you'd like your children to go to sleep, put this movie on, and thank me later.
March 30, 2018
When an ant colony's food offering to a gang of greedy grasshoppers ends up getting accidentally destroyed by the idealistic inventor ant named Flik (Dave Foley), the grasshopper leader Hopper (Kevin Spacey) threatens the colony with destruction if they don't give them a larger offering. Leaving the colony to find bigger bugs to fight off the grasshoppers, Flik thinks he's found the perfect fighters in the form of a group of circus bugs, But when he finds out the truth, Flik must now use all of his skills as an inventor to stop Hopper and his gang forever...

Although this film, being only the third computer-animated film in existance at the time and following in the footsteps of Toy Story, A Bug's Life may lack the originality of Pixar's first film in terms of storytelling, but the background animation of the world of the bugs is so good, that it still looks incredible today. The character designs, despite not looking as realistic as the insects of Dreamworks's Antz also looks really impressive compared to CGI designs at the time.

Although some of the main characters aren't that interesting, the circus bugs and the grasshoppers steal the show in terms of humour, with the funniest moments coming from Richard Kind's Molt and the late Joe Ranft's German caterpillar Heimlich and although what he did throughout his career was horrible and should not be encouraged, Kevin Spacey's sarcastic, yet intimidating performance as Hopper makes this character, one of the most under-rated Pixar villians.

Overall, A Bug's Life is a really entertaining film of miniature proportions that's still packs a tiny punch.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
for one of the earliest Pixar films it really doesn't show because the art is still fantastic, and the drama and comedy of this movie was fantastic and as a little kid this was my favorite movie its definitely not anymore but it still is fun to watch
March 29, 2018
This movie gets real old real fast
March 29, 2018
One of my favorite and best animated movie of all time.