A Bug's Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Bug's Life Reviews

July 18, 2016
A bugs life has comedy, it has beautiful animation, the story has the same formula, but its very entertaining.
July 18, 2016
Pixar's lowest-grossing movie is one of its best.
jamrcla
July 18, 2016
Really clever and I loved it, Fresh story and one of my favorite animated films.
July 16, 2016
I like Pixar but this was really one big .meh.
For me
½ July 15, 2016
A Bug's Life isn't better than Toy Story but it's no way the Worst Pixar has done.
I know there's another film like it called Antz by DreamWorks and since I've seen both I think A Bug's Life told the story way better then what Antz did.
The film has a great set of cast members, the film has a top notch music that fits each scene perfectly, the animation is more improved since Toy Story then again this is the 2nd Pixar film & the characters are average some of them are good others are not so much.
I definitely don't hate this movie it is a great movie I just don't think it was a great follow up to Toy Story but aside from the problems I've said I wouldn't mind seeing this movie again and again.
I give this film a 7.5 out of 10
June 30, 2016
Though it's not Pixars crowning jewel by any means, it still packs a good enough punch to be entertainig, funny, visually dazzling and worthy of watching again.
June 19, 2016
A bug's Life contains laughs but in no way shape or form is as good as classic Pixar
½ June 19, 2016
A cute movie, but still not as good as other Pixar movies, it's better than Cars and Brave, but that's about it. Nonetheless, A Bug's Life is a fun and sweet movie to watch and actually deserves to be watched.
½ June 19, 2016
With it's classic Pixar wit and fun characters, A Bug's Life is a very funny and action-packed adventure with great looking animation and fun homages to classic cinema.
June 16, 2016
Really Good. It might not be as good as Toy Story but still is a good addition to Pixar
½ June 16, 2016
A Bug's Life might not be the most beloved of all the Pixar movies, but hey, this is about persona feeling, and I LOVE the bugs!
½ June 15, 2016
Loved this movie when I was little
June 8, 2016
This tale about a colony of ants living in an island, in which they all act the same and are tyrannized by grasshoppers (it's actually based in an Aesop's fable, not in present day Cuba), that receives a group of fame-driven circus' insects is a frame by frame marvel, not only by its numerous revolutionary techniques on movement, lightning and animation but also due to a wonderful screenplay that shows the powerful duality of individuality and community, and that - at least in a bug's world with male ladybugs, fat German caterpillars and "eccentric" worker ants - every insect matters. Maybe it's about Cuba, after all.
June 7, 2016
Beautifully animated, beats the god awful Antz turd Dreamworks made.
½ June 5, 2016
Unlike most Pixar films, I never really watched this movie when I was a kid. The first time I remember watching it was when I was about ten or eleven years old, and watched it only a few more times since then. It just did not interest me at all. I don't remember that much about it either, as a lot of people don't. Maybe because the films that came out after this one did so well that people seem to have forgotten about it.

After watching it just recently for this review, I thought that maybe there are some things that I could appreciate more as a movie reviewer. And it's still just as I remembered. A BUG'S LIFE is definitely one of Pixar's weaker films. I don't think it's just the fact that the later Pixar films did so much better than this one, it's also because the characters are not memorable and the story has been done so many times already. The movie is basically your typical story of mistaken identity.

The plot is basically this: a colony of ants is forced to provide food to a group of grasshoppers, but our main character, Flik, is against this and goes out to find warrior bugs to defend the grasshoppers off, but the warrior bugs he finds are actually circus bugs and so are not meant to fight, but the colony doesn't know that. With that, you can predict exactly what's going to happen in the end. Therefore, you can't really become engaged in the story and characters, nor even care. We've seen this so many times before. You could make the argument that this a new animation studio and is just starting to create their own movies. But with TOY STORY that has just been made by them, a movie that has a simple yet innovative and interesting story with fun and memorable characters, you can't excuse them for making a movie that has a complicated and conventional story with boring and forgettable characters.

However, they did at least make the characters entertaining, and that has to go to the voice cast. Really, the whole cast is great: Dave Foley, Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Joe Ranft, Denis Leary, Richard Kind, and Bonnie Hunt. All of them really do they're best to make these dull characters as enjoyable as possible. Okay, maybe not all the characters are boring and forgettable, I really do enjoy the circus bugs. Each of them as their own unique design and way of entertainment, which makes them easily the most memorable characters.
Another great thing about the movie is the animation. The CG looks like it's really starting to improve from TOY STORY with all the neat textures and how many ants they can fit into one frame. Seriously, look at all the ants that they had to put in. I get the feeling that their computers have crashed a lot when animating certain frames of the entire ant colony.

As I said before, A BUG'S LIFE is definitely not a very strong animated film, especially when coming from Pixar. We don't remember it that much because we've seen this concept so many times already and the characters were not all that interesting. Plus, the studio proved to themselves that they could do way better. I still like it though, it's an entertaining film with a great voice cast and fantastic animation for its time. It's just not something I would watch multiple times like I would for most Pixar films. The movie is probably meant to appeal more for kids than adults, and that's fine.

Grade: B-
June 4, 2016
The best family film made by pixar
June 2, 2016
The animation is quite impressive for the 90's but the story is lame. Another forgettable kids film
½ May 30, 2016
It is great but it is worse than a lot of the Pixar movies and it is far better than Antz
May 13, 2016
In my opinion this is the most underrated Pixar movie ever. Amazing story, and hilarious for all ages to appreciate.
May 12, 2016
What seems like a strange topic to build a story around, Pixar nail it yet again, and with this as their second feature release, it's very clear that they know what they're doing.