Bugsy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bugsy Reviews

October 16, 2016
One of the most under-appreciated bio-pics of it's time, Bugsy is a terrific gangster epic about the man who had a vision: Las Vegas. Toback's script is impeccable, and Beatty and Benning tear up the screen!
½ August 21, 2016
No me gustó mucho, ya han pasado varios días desde aun la vi, y no me acuerdo de casi nada, hay otras películas de mafia y gangsters mucho mejores que esta
July 9, 2016
A thrilling gangster drama with flair and style to spare. Warren Beatty is magnificent as Bugsy.
½ June 24, 2016
Difficult to enjoy a movie in which the "hero" is a vicious killer whose dream is achieved by murder, corruption and the devastating effects of gambling addiction. SPOILER The terrible outcome of such methods is shown as not the result of justice but ultimately blind love. But it's a true story, so that's life!
Otherwise, a well-produced movie.
May 8, 2016
I know it came before, but while watching this, I couldn't help but think of Casino.
November 15, 2015
"Twenty dwarves took turns doing handstands on the carpet." Terrific biopic of gangster Ben "Bugsy" Siegel's dream of building The Flamingo, kickstarting Las Vegas as the gambling mecca we know today. I quite liked this film when it first came out, but since then it's a film that's always kind of stuck with me and has only gotten better with time. Warren Beatty as Siegel gives what I think is the best performance of his career. Beatty has had some meaty roles in the past ("Reds," "Bonnie & Clyde" or "Shampoo"), but his characterization of Siegel is utterly captivating. Siegel is at once a dreamer, whether it's impulsively barging into a house to buy it for cash from the owner, or whether it's a childish dream of wanting to act in films, or the film's main story of building the luxurious Flamingo, but at the same time Siegel is clearly a violent sociopath. Beatty is perfect cast because he is able to seamlessly go between violent outbursts and then switching to a likable almost childlike dreamer , which I think most actors would be able to pull off one or the other, but not both. Annette Bening is equally good as Siegel's girlfriend who helps Siegel try to achieve his unrealistic dream of building The Flamingo, even as cost to achieve his vision mount and Siegel's mobster investors become increasingly concerned. If there was another character in Beatty's filmography who I'd compare this character to, it would be to his role in "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" where is was a somewhat innocent entrepreneur setting up a whorehouse in a mining came. There are many parallels between these characters and both of these films are probably my top two Beatty performances. This may also be my favorite film from director Barry Levinson, who has an equally impressive filmography ("Diner," "Avalon," "Rainman"). He directs the film with a an old Hollywood flair, greatly aided by ace cinematographer Allen Daviau. Levinson cleverly used montages, stock footage and also gives the film the same kind of epic feel that he brought to "The Natural." And like "The Natural" this film is a uniquely American film and seems like something that thematically fitting to be studies in an American Studies course. Scripted by James Toback, the film is equal parts fact and fiction, but that too is an old Hollywood type of conceit if it better serves the story and in this film the fiction tells a better story, although the true story is just about as fascinating and many of the strangest bits in the film were actually true. A small supporting performance by Elliott Gould is also worth noting. He's only briefly in the film, but gives a memorable performance as a slow witted gangster, playing a character I hadn't seen him do before. Ben Kingsley is also terrific as Meyer Lansky, who at once wants to take care of his friend Siegel and help him with the Flamingo, but at the same time is a pragmatist who's concerned about the Siegel carelessly spending more and more to build his dream casino. Lastly, Ennio Morricone's provides the film with a lush score that complements the old Hollywood style and also the epic feel of Siegel building his dream. Morricone's score is one that's remained on high rotation on my laptop at work. Overall, I think this film is a true classic American film.
½ November 4, 2015
Every word, every scene make the movie a classic mob joint. Lot more to tell but sad Beaty did not get the Oscar for his brilliant portrait.
½ October 15, 2015
Beautifully done. I like when Mafia movies don't try to replicate the likes of The Godfather franchise and keep it original.
October 6, 2015
A pick & choose true story of infamous Gangster Bugsy Spiegel who supposedly created the Flamingo Casino which was the forefront for Las Vegas in the Nevada Desert.

Warren Beatty was good as Bugsy but had a habit of over acting at times, the real knockout was Annette Benning.

The story was interesting & Bugsy wasn't a person you would want to cross, the film overall was good but it did drag a lot in parts. If your a gangster film lover you'll appreciate it but maybe not for everyone.
August 1, 2015
Warren Beattie is outrageously good, but that's literally all that's here.. How you can make such a boring gangster film I do not know
½ July 19, 2015
Awesome performances. Intriguing script/structure. Classical Direction. Artistic contradictions & conflicts abide but it's all about tension. This movie just works.
½ June 28, 2015
He beats the guy up and then he's all bloody and Annette is all turned on and hot diggity dog.
½ May 31, 2015
A breakneck film about a strange gangster where Warren Beatty delivers the best performance of his career.
May 4, 2015
A solid biopic. Beatty is great as the Las Vegas visionary, Bening is so sexy as the local bike Virginia Hill but, for me, Ben Kingsley excels as Meyer Lansky. Although it is quiet stylish, a film about the building of Vegas and Murder Inc should have been a lot more gritty and violent.
½ April 8, 2015
Solid mafia movie. Warren Beatty is brilliant in some scenes and in other scenes he's just overacting. Entertaining in its whole running time.
½ April 1, 2015
Beatty really shines as he brings Siegel's complex life to a stylistic climax.
March 20, 2015
never got into it if your looking for something like casino this aint it.
February 15, 2015
A suave gangster picture with Beatty charismatic if not always convincing as a menacing mobster in the titular role. Is not held as a great of the genre despite it's strong cast and this is probably because it is lacking in impact or memorable sequences.
February 13, 2015
Interesting to see how the flamingo was built and how Las Vegas casino's began
February 6, 2015
Directed by Barry Levinson, who followed up the Oscar success of Rain Man (1988) with his very personal passion project Avalon (1990), he had another little passion project in mind, but when he was offered this crime drama written by James Toback (The Gambler (1974) and Two Girls and a Guy (1998)), Levinson saw instant potential, and it makes for an epic gangster drama, quite beautifully made. It tells the life and times of Jewish gangster Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel (Warren Beatty), who worked for the New York mob before he headed out to Hollywood, where he fell in love with aspiring starlet Virginia Hill (Annette Bening), even though Bugsy was already married to Esta (Wendy Phillips) and had 2 daughters. While out in Los Angeles, Bugsy works as representative for his associates Meyer Lansky (Ben Kingsley) and Charlie Luciano (Bill Graham), doing jobs with notorious mobster Mickey Cohen (Harvey Keitel), mostly robbing betting joints. But Bugsy has a vision of a betting joint all of his own, over in Las Vegas, where it's legal. It's a morality tale about the absolute corruption of absolute power and how greed, love and money makes monsters of us all. Beatty gives a likable turn as the notorious Bugsy, who had a great vision, but never lived to see it snowball into a behemoth. As for Levinson, he was about to unleash a behemoth of his own. Toys (1992).