Bulworth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bulworth Reviews

August 24, 2015
it was ok not the best
July 24, 2015
Ah, the days when a white rapping president was the craziest thing ever
July 20, 2015
Bulworth is an odd trip. It's incredibly conflicted on whether to be a silly political comedy with the rapping senator gag and whatnot and then it really wants to be a social commentary, using a musical genre to display messages of racial injustice and its social status.
Senator Jay Billington Bulworth is running for Senatorial reelection but the same old song and dance has him desiring death, plotting for a hitman to kill him. He eventually finds himself living life to the fullest (in a way), taking on rapping in his speeches and becoming one in the African-American community, falling for a young activist who is secretly plotting to kill him herself.
Bulworth is a fun but forgettable ride. Like I mentioned before, it's really split on its main message that the high position Senator is rapping and doing all sorts of silly stuff and then it's somewhat used as a message for racial injustice, this is really noticable in an interview scene where Bulworth raps to a reporter about some lower class issues his peers brought up with him. Politically, it's respectable but a little absurd. Beatty is great as Bulworth but as a director he's iffy. Bulworth also has trouble deciding on who to appeal to, it forgets it's still a political comedy at points. There's nothing super memorable about it, it's an odd trip while it lasted.
½ July 3, 2015
definitely dark and at times preachy but it works, is funny, and is thought provoking
July 2, 2015
the last time I saw this movie was back in thee 8th grade
May 31, 2015
A pretty biting and clever political satire - though I could have lived without Warren Beatty rapping.
½ May 14, 2015
Beatty puts his smug political agenda out there and despite it all I still liked it.
April 10, 2015
What starts out as an apt satire on the politician's role in American society spirals off into a muddled, politically sketchy head-scracther, featuring God-awful ADR/mixing and a fundamentally unsatisfying conclusion.
December 27, 2014
The best American movie, brilliant
½ December 6, 2014
Bulworth is a decent film. It is about a suicidally disillusioned liberal politician who puts a contract out on himself and takes the opportunity to be bluntly honest with his voters. Warren Beatty and Halle Berry give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Warren Beatty did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and humor.
October 16, 2014
It's interesting how sharply this film's ratings divide along political lines; liberals love it, and conservatives call it the worst movie ever made. As always, the truth is somewhere in between; but more than a few astute insights ("white people got more in common with colored people then they do with rich people", for example) are there for those willing to suspend their personal biases long enough to absorb them. Beatty effectively skewers the Washington political machine, which now, almost 20 years later, is even more obviously broken than it was then. Unfortunately his call to action was not heeded, and we continue to head toward hell in a hand basket at an ever-accelerating rate. On a purely cinematic level, the film is very entertaining and well worth seeing; I just wish it had had more of an impact.
½ June 27, 2014
I find it terribly fascinating that Beatty would cast himself in a role that calls for him to embarrass himself on a consistent basis. Now, some of that embarrassment is actually funny and other times its painful (all the rapping he does through much of the middle of the film was probably ill advised) but it is ultimately enduring when you step back and look at the performance as a whole. As for the the rest of the film, its really a mess but I respect the ambition on Beatty's part to make something so strange and angry. Also, while most of the film looks dated pretty much all the things it's ranting about are even bigger problems now than they were in the late 90s, so its managed to retain a relevancy that's rare for films of this kind.
½ June 19, 2014
offensively hysterical, and oddly has some good social and political points.
April 15, 2014
I loved this movie. I caught it on TV the other day and right before I knew it, it was over. I was so intrigued at what I was seeing I was lost in the movie. That is the sign of a good film. It's about a senator who lets loose and starts rapping at campaign stops, and gets involved with the hip hop community. It's awesome seeing Warren Beaty rapping. This is an early Halle Berry movie and she looked incredible. The movie has a liberal since to it. It feels fresh, creative, and just damn fun.
½ March 22, 2014
This was a really pleasant surprise!
February 21, 2014
Watching now-pretty funny so far
½ February 21, 2014
Bulworth raps the truth, raw. Great rap speech!
February 9, 2014
Written and directed by Warren Beatty, this film was made in absolute total secrecy at the time, mainly because Fox owed Beatty a film, as way of getting out of a lawsuit with Beatty because Fox dropped out of doing Dick Tracy (1990). Beatty only gave them a rough outline, and got $30 million to make his film. It's a good political satire, which focuses on what politicians which they could do, but can't because it would be career suicide for them. In 1996, liberal Senator Jay Bulworth (Beatty) is in a state of depression and is feeling suicidal. His political opinions, which won him voters in the 1960's and 1970's aren't working today, and a lot of people have turned their backs on him. He puts out a $10 million life insurance policy on his own life, and hires an unknown assassin to kill him. With nothing to lose, he appears at political rallies in California, extremely drunk and starts speaking his mind and makes offensive remarks, which reaches a head when he goes to a club, and starts rapping. This attitude actually wins favours with voters, and it's a shocking boost to Bulworth's career, he is aided by young campaigner Nina (Halle Berry), but Bulworth is fearful and mindful of when the day will come when he will be assassinated. It's a darkly funny look at fame, and how people crave it and some shun it, and what some people will do to stay in the public spotlight for as long as possible, there's no-one worse at doing that than politicians. It was also Beatty's last major film, (the debace of Town & Country (2001) aside), it's about time he made another film, as his presence has been missed from cinemas.
January 5, 2014
Pretty remarkable and memorable. Makes me miss Warren Beatty so damn much
½ October 16, 2013
Nice Soundtrack That Saves It All In Parts. Not Best Example Of Political Parody I'm Aware Of..But, This Has Some Minor Moments Of Classic Condemnation..& Politics Deserves Everything It Gets!