Bunraku - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bunraku Reviews

November 3, 2017
I personally enjoy the over-the-top stylization and find it to be a fun use of puppet theater type elements.
October 21, 2017
One of my favorite movies simply for the theatrical way it's told and how fun the characters are. Josh Hartnett and Woody Harrelon are amazing in this.
August 27, 2017
I think everyone underestimates how great this movie is. Despite its lack of high-quality film it was overall still watchable and still sends a very good message.
July 29, 2017
A western as seen through Salvador Dali's eyes.
½ June 25, 2016
In the visual style of 'Bunraku' - Japanese puppetry. Reads sort of like if a spaghetti western took more of the elements from the original Japanese stories. Like if fistful of dollars had Clint in Japan.
½ March 18, 2016
Extremely stylised in both style, mood and with all its characters too - this masks over a less than engaging post-modern samurai flick.
March 3, 2016
Underneath the brilliant style and design you'll find a plot that feels very much unfinished.
February 19, 2016
I've seen better fight scenes from Power Rangers.
½ January 29, 2016
it's definitely different, it is visually vibrant every color is bright even black...the story line is a twist on an average revenge plot and the fact that there are NO GUNS ALLOWED is awesome you have to fight differently..don't worry not spoiling it's revealed within 2 minutes of watching. Great cast and great movie
November 18, 2015
this movie has been nothing but awesome! I was introduced by my girlfriend and this movie is bad ass! if you haven't seen it check it out!
½ October 22, 2015
wild, great fight scenes
September 22, 2015
Honestly despite all the criticism this movie was pretty much exactly what it was supposed to be...two guys punching and kicking the crap out of a bunch of other guys for a couple hours. most of the critics are over analyzing this in my humble opinion. not everything has to mean something or have plot twists or be pushing the envelope. sometimes its ok to have some highly stylized mindless entertainment. the movie is visually interesting. i enjoyed the stripped down look of the sets and the pop-up book styling. the fight scenes are entertaining. yeah the story and acting aren't oscar worthy (or probably even worth talking about a whole lot later, my husband and i just mostly said 'cool fight scenes' and 'loved the style' ) and is somewhat predictable but most action type movies are. bad guys are bad, good/other guys fight bad guys. predictable outcome. just don't have a bunch expectations or high hopes. grab your popcorn and enjoy some visually interesting action sequences and then resume your regular life. i liked it enough to buy it and will watch it again next time i want to watch a couple of hot guys kicking butts. i will admit my bar might be a little lower than other peoples as i generally want to just be entertained by movies. i will watch thrillers and psychological dramas sometimes. but for the most part i want to laugh or be entertained or kill some time in a pleasant way. i don't watch movies to do a lot of thinking or learn something or see the world differently or become a better person. i do that in real life already. Bunraku pleasantly killed a couple of hours for me and sometimes that's enough.
½ September 20, 2015
A fun watch. A feast for the eyeballs and earballs... though not much else.
August 22, 2015
Unusual story telling with an entertaining pop up setting and a noble theme of honor
August 11, 2015
Feels a lot like a cRPG. I can see how the film wouldn't be for everyone, but the art style was stunning, the characters played to tropes I love, and the plot was straight up fun.
July 26, 2015
This was a good movie. I liked the plot and the visual effects.
½ July 19, 2015
Sure this is not the high philosophical film it tries to be, but it is different, and sometimes different is good. If you like that whole western "stranger comes to town seeking vengeance, but ends up in a bigger struggle with an unexpected ally" kind of movie, then this hits the mark. Interesting fight scene, some tongue in cheek moments, and an old story told in a kinda new way make this a fun story to watch.
July 7, 2015
I'm a big fan of this film. It's different. Turn your brain off and enjoy. It's got elements of Noir. It's got some fun sequences and dialogue, and while predictable, it's still fun. For me, I guess the resentment for this film comes from the fact it's not your stereotypical, modern, canned crap that fits into same cliche of all the other films in the last decade. Josh Hartnett, Woody Harrelson, Ron Perlman, and a couple other notables round out a good cast. It's not perfect, but for what it is and what it's suppose to be, it's very good.
July 6, 2015
Loved this really stylishly visual film with the almost jazz-like choreography of the fight scenes. Every shot was just beautiful. A very different role for Kevin McKidd. The story--a cross between Sin City and spaghetti western (or Akira Kurosawa) was somewhat trite, but no more so than most gang/Mafia type films. I can't see why the critics are so down on it. But they didn't like the original Highlander film, either, when it came out. It only achieved cult status and critical acclaim later. Maybe this flick will, too.
June 16, 2015
Rotten Tomatoes fails again! This is a really solid movie if you have any interest in cult flicks, or graphic novels. Never trust rotten tomatoes ratings. If you truely want to see how bad this site is look up the "top 100 scifi/fantasy" list. A you do not put Cinderella in the competition with sci fi movies. And B how in the heck is Cinderella Fantasy??