Bunraku - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bunraku Reviews

½ June 25, 2016
In the visual style of 'Bunraku' - Japanese puppetry. Reads sort of like if a spaghetti western took more of the elements from the original Japanese stories. Like if fistful of dollars had Clint in Japan.
½ March 18, 2016
Extremely stylised in both style, mood and with all its characters too - this masks over a less than engaging post-modern samurai flick.
March 3, 2016
Underneath the brilliant style and design you'll find a plot that feels very much unfinished.
February 19, 2016
I've seen better fight scenes from Power Rangers.
½ January 29, 2016
it's definitely different, it is visually vibrant every color is bright even black...the story line is a twist on an average revenge plot and the fact that there are NO GUNS ALLOWED is awesome you have to fight differently..don't worry not spoiling it's revealed within 2 minutes of watching. Great cast and great movie
November 18, 2015
this movie has been nothing but awesome! I was introduced by my girlfriend and this movie is bad ass! if you haven't seen it check it out!
½ October 22, 2015
wild, great fight scenes
September 22, 2015
Honestly despite all the criticism this movie was pretty much exactly what it was supposed to be...two guys punching and kicking the crap out of a bunch of other guys for a couple hours. most of the critics are over analyzing this in my humble opinion. not everything has to mean something or have plot twists or be pushing the envelope. sometimes its ok to have some highly stylized mindless entertainment. the movie is visually interesting. i enjoyed the stripped down look of the sets and the pop-up book styling. the fight scenes are entertaining. yeah the story and acting aren't oscar worthy (or probably even worth talking about a whole lot later, my husband and i just mostly said 'cool fight scenes' and 'loved the style' ) and is somewhat predictable but most action type movies are. bad guys are bad, good/other guys fight bad guys. predictable outcome. just don't have a bunch expectations or high hopes. grab your popcorn and enjoy some visually interesting action sequences and then resume your regular life. i liked it enough to buy it and will watch it again next time i want to watch a couple of hot guys kicking butts. i will admit my bar might be a little lower than other peoples as i generally want to just be entertained by movies. i will watch thrillers and psychological dramas sometimes. but for the most part i want to laugh or be entertained or kill some time in a pleasant way. i don't watch movies to do a lot of thinking or learn something or see the world differently or become a better person. i do that in real life already. Bunraku pleasantly killed a couple of hours for me and sometimes that's enough.
½ September 20, 2015
A fun watch. A feast for the eyeballs and earballs... though not much else.
August 22, 2015
Unusual story telling with an entertaining pop up setting and a noble theme of honor
August 11, 2015
Feels a lot like a cRPG. I can see how the film wouldn't be for everyone, but the art style was stunning, the characters played to tropes I love, and the plot was straight up fun.
July 26, 2015
This was a good movie. I liked the plot and the visual effects.
½ July 19, 2015
Sure this is not the high philosophical film it tries to be, but it is different, and sometimes different is good. If you like that whole western "stranger comes to town seeking vengeance, but ends up in a bigger struggle with an unexpected ally" kind of movie, then this hits the mark. Interesting fight scene, some tongue in cheek moments, and an old story told in a kinda new way make this a fun story to watch.
July 7, 2015
I'm a big fan of this film. It's different. Turn your brain off and enjoy. It's got elements of Noir. It's got some fun sequences and dialogue, and while predictable, it's still fun. For me, I guess the resentment for this film comes from the fact it's not your stereotypical, modern, canned crap that fits into same cliche of all the other films in the last decade. Josh Hartnett, Woody Harrelson, Ron Perlman, and a couple other notables round out a good cast. It's not perfect, but for what it is and what it's suppose to be, it's very good.
July 6, 2015
Loved this really stylishly visual film with the almost jazz-like choreography of the fight scenes. Every shot was just beautiful. A very different role for Kevin McKidd. The story--a cross between Sin City and spaghetti western (or Akira Kurosawa) was somewhat trite, but no more so than most gang/Mafia type films. I can't see why the critics are so down on it. But they didn't like the original Highlander film, either, when it came out. It only achieved cult status and critical acclaim later. Maybe this flick will, too.
June 16, 2015
Rotten Tomatoes fails again! This is a really solid movie if you have any interest in cult flicks, or graphic novels. Never trust rotten tomatoes ratings. If you truely want to see how bad this site is look up the "top 100 scifi/fantasy" list. A you do not put Cinderella in the competition with sci fi movies. And B how in the heck is Cinderella Fantasy??
½ April 18, 2015
Is it predictable and cliche, yes. Do i care? NO! See this is what I like to call a face value movie, a movie that you either accept at face value, or you don't. Words like plot, premise, and story are wasted here as this is more of a sit back and enjoy your popcorn movie. Not so much a check your brain at the door film but it is for lack of a better term a kung fu flick. All the talking serves to do is establish which side the characters are on and set up the fights scenes. It's refreshing so see stylized visual different movies, Tim Burtonesque in it's visuals. My kind of movie. I only dinged it for being too predictable and some people aren't gonna like this kind of mindless action film. But if you love kung fu films, you'll love this film. if you don't (what's wrong with you?) then you won't
April 11, 2015
The movie was good, I just felt the director was going out of their way to be too artistic. It worked for the most part just some parts I felt it was over the top, but Definely worth a view. So for this being an okay film with good action scenes, I give "Bunraku" a C.
January 22, 2015
a great attempt at a comic book movie level with poor direction and lack of screenplay!
January 3, 2015
Happy birthday fucker

A city ruled by gangs has one that oversees them all, lead by Nicola. Any gang can challenge for the title of gang leader of the city, but no one ever beats Nicola and his killers. One day a man bent on revenge, and an Asian man on a secret mission, land in town on the same train and each threaten to break Nicola's infrastructure and maybe claim the city's martial arts title.

"Did someone die?"
"Not yet, but the prospect seems promising"

Guy Moshe, director of Holly, delivers Bunraku as his second major motion picture. The storyline for this starts with a lot of potential but plateaus quickly and concludes disappointingly. When the film first started, I had a lot of hope this could be a bit like Sin City; unfortunately, this falls flat. The cast had potential but delivers average performances. The cast includes Josh Hartnett, Woody Harrelson, Demi Moore, Ron Perlman, and Kevin McKidd.

"Things never go well before first going wrong."

This is another random movie I came across on Netflix so I decided to give it a shot. I thought the cast looked interesting and fun. The film honestly had an amazing kickoff and I got excited to see its direction, but it quickly took a bad turn as they tried to develop Perlman's character. The film kind of fell flat and crashed. I recommend skipping this.

"Are you here for the ball, my friend?"

Grade: D+/C-