Bunraku Reviews

• Apr 23, 2020

It's a live-action anime with a stellar cast and an incredibly enticing piece of cinematography. Every transition is mesmerizing and the choreography is on point.

• Jan 20, 2020

What it does, it does very well. What it doesn't do is give a lot of backstory or explanations. But it's action is exciting, it's visual style is unique, and it never takes itself too seriously. It sets out to be a fun mix of eastern and western movies, and accomplishes this very well.

• Oct 06, 2019

Its different...I think its very well done.

Its different...I think its very well done.

• Jun 26, 2019

How can you not like this movie? Has action, a solid story, and visuals that leave you wondering what the next scene will be.

• Mar 26, 2019

This Movie Just has such a unique style and tone to it that I certainly can't get enough of from the difference in the characters personality and the beautiful choreographed fight scenes and while there are a few missing details that alone shouldn't stop one from enjoying this movie

• Jan 27, 2019

When I first saw this movie way back when I actually really enjoyed it. At least I remember doing so, hence why I bought the blu-ray. Great cast, neat idea, superb look and more had me really into the whole thing. I have finally got around to re-watching Bunraku, and while I still somewhat enjoyed it, I have a lot more issues this time around. Starting off, Bunraku is a fun style b-movie. I say that because it acts like one. Out there premise, with a not so out there story inside it. Some good performances, and wasted ones. The look that strays from the norm. The feeling of cheapness directly behind the sets. All these things make it an interesting straight-to-DVD feeling film. I love the use of the theater like paper backgrounds, the coloring of the scenes, the weirdness of the villains, and a story that isn't really anything. But, the movie also suffers from pacing issues, length issues, lack of anything truly interesting to watch past the visuals. The movie felt like it was building up to this big fight climax when most of the players have barely had any screen time, or for the good army, and other killers, no screen time. I understand building up the main characters and killers, but why make 10 killers when only one and two really matter. I also felt like Bunraku did a poor job in the pacing department. Everything felt slow, and not in a methodical detail-oriented way. The dialogue was slow, the action, the transitions, everything was slow and it killed the build-up of the film. By the end, I didn't really care what happened, because nothing had that big moment feel to it. It's actually pretty disappointing not liking this film after the second watch. I really wanted it to leave me with my original feelings. But now almost ten years later, I just found myself with my senses dulled by pretty colors and paper mache backgrounds. I still like Bunraku, but I don't think there will be another re-watch in the future.

• Jan 16, 2019

Most reviews say this movie is visually striking but cliche in plot and lackluster in the character development. I agree with the first two points, though that is not necessarily a bad thing. The final one, though, is wrong, and anyone who says this movie doesn't develop its characters seems to require character development to whack them upside the head in order to see it. The character development in this movie is like strokes of a paintbrush by a master artist: so natural, you almost miss it. It's in the way the characters move, the way they speak, the way Alexandra crushes nuts to get on #2's nerves and the way it physically pains him to hear it. The way the Drifter always breathes in the smoke of others' cigars but never lights his own. The way the Bartender and Alexandra have matching tattoos. The way Yoshi battles with upholding his family's honor, even at the expense of his family. The way Nicola practically begs for something to hold his attention for more than a mere few moments. The fear in the Drifters eyes and movements when faced with heights. The way Yoshi takes more wasabi after some is shoved in his face. The way #2 twinges in fear when Nicola used his axe to chop firewood, and the way Nicola chops the firewood despite having hundreds who could do it for him. It is in the way the Bartender shows so much hope and joy at sticking it to the man. Each stroke works with all of the others to paint each characters canvas. Sure, the plot is simple, but a movie doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be great. This movie deserves so much more than the critics gave it, and it deserves to be given a chance to shine in the spotlight, not in the dark corner it was thrown.

• Dec 28, 2018

This movie was the most boring thing I have ever watched, I can't remember a single thing about this film

• Nov 19, 2018

This movie is visually appealing eye candy. The acting lends itself to how every seen should be viewed. This is a one-of-kind movie that not everyone will appreciate.

• Sep 03, 2018